theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 31-10-13, 03:45 PM   #1
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
or were going to until they realised the bonnet wouldn't close.
Was going to say good luck shutting the bonnet on them.
Old 06-11-13, 03:52 PM   #2
Eddie

Eddie will become famous soon enough
Back when I owned a ZS I spent a lot of time chatting with QED about there ITB development, at the time they has a pair of KV6 2 ltr engines on the test rig (dyno), in fact I managed to set-up a forum visit which was very interesting. They made 2 variants of the ITB one which was designed specifically to clear the bonnet but required a fair amount of engineering to move other components out of the way, also a hike if CR, solid lifters and improved cams.
Reasonable gains but the kit was for the kit car market rather than the ZS, couple of forum members looked very closely into the ITB's but the amount of work and money required was enormous.
There was a guy running a KV6 on ITB's from Scotland in a ZR but I understood reliability may have been an issue as he was making close to 300bhp but it proves it can be done.
George used a carbon airbox with a single throttle body removing the restrictive intake but I wouldn't expect massive gains on stock CR, slightly wilder cams and an off the shelf set of manifolds, yes there will be gains but I wouldn't have thought much.
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-13, 05:12 PM   #3
Mark S

Mark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
George used a carbon airbox with a single throttle body removing the restrictive intake but I wouldn't expect massive gains on stock CR, slightly wilder cams and an off the shelf set of manifolds, yes there will be gains but I wouldn't have thought much.
it made an extra 20lb/ft over the standard from 4-7k, which is enough to give a 25-30bhp increase at the wheels.
certainly not a 300bhp screamer, but that sort of power and torque increase from the intake is enough to raise my eyebrows!
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-13, 10:02 PM   #4
Eddie

I think a good question to ask, has anyone mapped after market cams, manifolds on a stand alone ECU, I feel this would net good results too, having control of fueling and ignition is a major bonus, after all the stock inlet will flow enough to make good power, you may be able to use an auxiliary port on the ECU to run the stepper motors for the VIS, although, personally I would map around it.
As much as I like the carbon inlet on Steve's I really think gains could be made through mapping and basic mods, or if this type of inlet is something you want then have an aluminum plenum and runners fabricated this will allow you to graft the shape to accommodate space without compromising the flow, 5 ltr plenum with some tuned runners isn't a difficult job.

This complete set-up is all made in house and the hardest part was the designing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Inlet.jpg (52.4 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Inlet 2.jpg (58.5 KB, 25 views)
Old 06-11-13, 10:34 PM   #5
redzed

redzed has a spectacular aura aboutredzed has a spectacular aura about
That is awesome! Details on that set up please !
Old 07-11-13, 02:43 PM   #6
Eddie

Honda EG Coupe prepared for FWD Drag racing with 8.5 second cage
Honda B18 81.5 mm block with cylinder support system (CSS) which holds the top of the sleeves
Stock Honda B20 crank with B18 forged rods making near as dam 2.0 ltr (stroked)
Forged CP pistons 81.5 mm CR 13.1 (yes that high for boost)
Home made exhaust manifold (front facing)
Custom built inter cooler with modified end tanks
Home made inlet manifold port matched to 90 mm throttle body
Turbo BW366
Cams to be decided
ARP hardware through-out

Looking to make 600 WHP (700-800 fly) and running low 9's

Simple but clean build for next year.
Old 07-11-13, 10:11 PM   #7
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Jay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of light
As Eddie said easy enough to make a system. Could be designed to give best power improvements at a predetermined rpm. The maths is really not that difficult. I designed a set up for an sxv engine that had a restrictor in the inlet (racing regs). Designed around this to reduce the rpm of the power band due to the air flow becoming choked over 10,000rpm. Was matched with custom cams but principle is the same.

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Jay-ZS+ is offline   Reply With Quote