theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 30-12-16, 11:45 PM   #71
LukeZS96

LukeZS96 is on a distinguished road
This is a great thread. Giving me plentey of motivation to get mine started, just have to get the funds up first.
LukeZS96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-16, 08:07 AM   #72
Big-Jay

Big-Jay has a spectacular aura aboutBig-Jay has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeZS96 View Post
This is a great thread. Giving me plentey of motivation to get mine started, just have to get the funds up first.
Cheers,

Glad it motivates you !
Big-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-17, 04:41 PM   #73
Big-Jay

Been back at it today.

I took the hubs down to a garage on Friday and had them push the old bearing's and ball joints out. £20 all in which I thought was reasonable. Will be the same again to put the new ones in.

Here are the bare hubs -

Degreased, wire brushed and then primed -

And painted satin black -

Ive ordered all the new bits I need to get those rebuilt so they'll be here by the weekend hopefully.

The engine's been sitting on a pallet since I removed it from the car but I've also made a start on that today too. Here it is -

Various bits removed ready to be refurbished -

Drive shafts have been marked up so they go back together as they came apart.

As the engine stands now, belts exposed ready to be changed -

The guy I bought the car from said the belts had been changed pretty recently and upon closer inspection this appears to be true as they are aftermarket belts. Although they look in good condition it would be unthinkable not to change them and all the other serviceable items whilst I have the engine in this state.

Should be nice and easy to change the belts now it's out too.

There's still a lot more that I want to take off and refurb and the engine needs a damn good degreasing too, but won't be touching this again now until the cars rolling.

Jay.

Last edited by Big-Jay; 03-01-17 at 09:39 AM.
Old 03-01-17, 09:10 AM   #74
Lukeus101

Lukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to all
Awesome progress mate

ZS Appreciation Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/475756782447499/

> ZR 105 (Broken) > MK2 ZS 180 (Sold) > MK1 ZS 180 (Sold) > ZR Replica (Dead) > MK1 ZS 180 (Broken)
Lukeus101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-17, 07:46 PM   #75
Big-Jay

Bit of a milestone reached today, she's back on all four wheels for the first time in almost four months ! Won't be for long though as I'm going to make a start on the rear tomorrow.

Anyway, here's a few pictures of the process. New bearings and ball joints -

Took them down to my local garage and had those pressed into the hubs -

N/S fitted back to the car -

Same for the O/S -

Popped the wheels and discs back on and rolled her outside into the daylight -

I knocked the knackered outer CV joints off the drive shafts and have pushed those into the drive flanges and nipped up the hub nuts just to keep the bearings together whilst I rolled her about.

Surprising just how little these cars weigh without the engine in. Really noticed it when I tried the wing on, sitting like a monster truck at the front even on the Moto-Build springs.

I had a tidy up/organise of the parts that were lying around, a good sweep round with the broom and then turned her around and pushed her back in ready for me to make a start tomorrow -

Finally, I purchased this little VIS tester machine from a guy over on the ZT & ZTT Owners Club page on Facebook -

Can't say I'm a Hugh fan of the MG Facebook pages for various reasons but it does pay to have a scroll through it from time to time.

I'm seriously impressed with this, it's good to know there are people out there in the MG/Rover scene making things like this to such a good quality for our cars.

I've tested both my VIS motors today and both are dead unfortunately, can I get these refurbished or will I have to replace with new ones ?

Jay.
Old 14-01-17, 08:05 PM   #76
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Proper Job.

Dont know if Discounted MG spares do them, might be woth contacting them https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=25197
Old 14-01-17, 09:38 PM   #77
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Most guys have tried to refurb the vis motors and as you are clearly a "do it myself" guy, I'm sure you'll manage.

They come up new from time to time, but not often.
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-17, 12:18 AM   #78
Maxfly
Site Ambassador

Maxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to all
Beautiful work Jay, I believe there is a guide here or possibly on xpf on how to refurb vis motors. As Dan says, sure you will manage to resurrect them if possible. Usually soldering or motors inside that's go.
Old 15-01-17, 12:43 AM   #79
Big-Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeus101 View Post
Awesome progress mate
Cheers bud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterzs View Post
Proper Job.

Dont know if Discounted MG spares do them, might be woth contacting them https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=25197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1971 View Post
Most guys have tried to refurb the vis motors and as you are clearly a "do it myself" guy, I'm sure you'll manage.

They come up new from time to time, but not often.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxfly View Post
Beautiful work Jay, I believe there is a guide here or possibly on xpf on how to refurb vis motors. As Dan says, sure you will manage to resurrect them if possible. Usually soldering or motors inside that's go.
Cheers guys,

Been browsing the net and found a really good guide on YouTube on how to repair the VIS Motors.

Link - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_4NNxnxKugI

Looks like it's a case of oil ingression that ultimately kills them. Simple strip down, clean up of connectors and a bit of fresh solder should see them working again. Will have a crack at this over the next few weeks.

Had a look on dmgrs and found they sell both motors new for £130. Will try and repair mine but if it all goes tits up I may have to bite the bullet .
Old 15-01-17, 09:47 AM   #80
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Unfortunately our Pete was the one who would refurb the vis motors for us. I have done them a few times. Normally a bad motor or dry joints on the v3 switches is the cause. soldering iron, solder sucker and an eye glass would suffice.