theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 08-04-09, 08:53 PM   #21
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
I know of a few modified cars up Birmingham way that run NOS and highly tuned, driven by under 20's and no insurance. They are street racers, I only know this because my daughter tells me as she sees them when she's seeing her boyfriend up there, it's his circle of friends!

The point here is not the NOS side of things but what they can do that changes the way the car behaves in their mind. As a placebo effect that makes the young naive drivers think their car is faster and needs to be driven everywhere at speed..............they like to hear the noise all of the time and be seen. NOS is just mentioned as it is a buzz word for the media, unfortunately those that have quoted it know very little about it.
Old 08-04-09, 09:59 PM   #22
lewerty

and u got the new fast and furious film out the dont help matters
Old 08-04-09, 10:08 PM   #23
shroonie29

shroonie29 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewerty View Post
and u got the new fast and furious film out the dont help matters

NOS,hell yeah

Shroon

"In the MG ZS, the relationship between car and driver borders on the intimate"
"The surprise is that the MG ZS feels right straight away and stays accurate and poised"
shroonie29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-09, 10:12 PM   #24
Fudgepacker

Fudgepacker is on a distinguished road
i think in australia you have to keep your p plates on for 3 years and every year they change colour and for the fisrt year you can only drive on your own with no pasangers
Old 09-04-09, 07:37 AM   #25
Maxxed_Ross
Events Organiser-Scotland

Maxxed_Ross has a spectacular aura aboutMaxxed_Ross has a spectacular aura about
All this talk of NOS.... anyone want to buy mine?

www.facebook.com/EX259

"It's not broken, it's an opportunity to upgrade!"
Maxxed_Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-09, 10:16 AM   #26
Geominceur

Geominceur is on a distinguished road
I think that the main dangerous drivers are those that are inexperienced young or not. I never passed my test until I was in my early 30's as I had lived in a city and had no need for a car. When I went rural I had to have a car just to survive getting to and from work as I worked shifts in the catering industry and public transport was not an option. I drove a gutless little Fiat panda but I'll happily admit that had I had anything more powerful I would almost certainly driven just as irresponsibly as any young driver who had just passed his test. Not all young drivers are irresponsible or stupid and it's true that the young idiots on the road give a bad impression not the young, careful and courteous drivers of whom I have to say there are a lot of around where I live. There are the young tubes as well but, on the whole they seem pretty responsible around here.
So I guess basically what I'm saying is it really wouldn't matter what restrictions they impose by law, those that drive dangerously and carelessly will do it regardless of what restrictions are put on them.
Talking of Fast and Furious............
http://www.neweraimports.com/carDetails.jsp?carId=394

Now, where's my cheque book........?
Geominceur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-09, 04:34 PM   #27
weagie

weagie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamford View Post

As a placebo effect that makes the young naive drivers think their car is faster and needs to be driven everywhere at speed..............they like to hear it.
This is what its like round my area, the local scroats with there wee corsa's and such like are fitting the biggest rear cans they can and because their motor now sounds like a tractor it must be going faster and thats what they do, every where flat out. When we get some rain their out trying to drift the roundabouts. I know some of them to see and their not all daft wee boys but some are in their late twenty's and just trying to show of to the younger twats. As mentioned a car can be a weapon, it just takes the wrong person to use it.
weagie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-09, 10:10 PM   #28
will-w

will-w is on a distinguished road
I must admit things like this get on my nerves just a tad!

Now I am young, 22 yesterday, so the motoring world hates me anyway (insurance being the main problem). I have owned 'powerful' cars, and have modified most of them (tastefully I might add!).

If the government get their way then I would have been stopped from getting anything past my 1st car because of their engine size and power output!

1st car: 1992 Rover Metro 1.0 (60bhp) - Age 17
2nd car: 1996 Citroen Saxo 1.1 (69bhp) - Age 17
3rd car: 1989 Honda CRX (140bhp) - Age 18
4th car: 1993 Honda CRX (135bhp) - Age 18/19
5th car: 2002 Honda Civic EP2 (101bhp) - Age 19
6th car: 2004 Smart Roadster-Coupé (120bhp) - Age 19/20
7th car: 1988 Honda CRX (175bhp) - Age 21
8th car: 1996 Honda Prelude SiR (200bhp) - Age 21
9th car: 2005 MG ZS+ TDi - Age 21/22

Now granted that is quite a list, but as you can see everything below number 1 would have been illegal. I have sold all of my cars, and have never written one off!

Why should I be penalised because of a bunch of chavs who can't drive for s**t?

I once called into my local radio station because they were discussing this topic, and the DJ was horrified that I was driving a car with 175bhp and basically said that he didn't think I should be allowed to drive it on the road.

Granted the car in question (my 3rd CRX) had an engine swap, custom exhaust, induction kit, cammed, chipped & mapped, lowered, etc... but I don't see how everyone can be tarred with the same brush!

My 3rd CRX:

Rant over!

Derv power baby!

will-w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-09, 10:59 PM   #29
afcbadam

afcbadam is on a distinguished road
i had my first 180 at the age of 18. my current zs is running around the 190 mark. im soon turning 21. the zs for me then and now is the most powerful car i could find insurance for. i couldnt get insured on anything else.

limiting new drivers to a max 1.2 or something like that is proberly a good idea. another idea would be to make everybody take a cbt bike test. it would raise their awareness of the roads.

Regal Autosport Astra GSI Turbo 304 bhp 356 lb/ft

Thorney motorsport Vectra vxr 305bhp 398lbft

Now its time to build a big turbo MG ZS

afcbadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-09, 12:00 AM   #30
will-w

will-w is on a distinguished road
So you're for the limiting new drivers rule?

I'm totally against it, unless you're allowed to drive a more powerful car once you've passed a IAM test or something!

Derv power baby!

will-w is offline   Reply With Quote