theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Closed Thread

Old 06-06-12, 05:26 PM   #1
Quadcam24

Quadcam24 is a jewel in the roughQuadcam24 is a jewel in the roughQuadcam24 is a jewel in the rough
awesome bhp gain for just a visless plenum and standalone ecu.....poor torque though, it wouldnt matter on a track engine but for road it will mean stirring the box more than normal, i guess vis is king for torque but not for bhp......doesnt matter, as i think steve will be driving like hes on a track just to hear it ,lol.
Get it down pod, see what top speed it pulls.

Last edited by Quadcam24; 06-06-12 at 05:37 PM.
Old 06-06-12, 08:46 PM   #2
Quadcam24

Quadcam24 is a jewel in the roughQuadcam24 is a jewel in the roughQuadcam24 is a jewel in the rough
can we see the dyno graph please?
one picture speaks a thousand words and all that ,lol.
Old 19-06-12, 05:31 AM   #3
Drew

Drew has a spectacular aura aboutDrew has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovermgparts View Post
Steves going on holiday and has asked me to run the car for a month to make sure it has no gremlins.

George
its a good idea to run it for a month to iron out any problems, but surely that means you have to go get it!
then post the graph up

Drew
Old 13-06-12, 09:28 PM   #4
Quadcam24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovermgparts View Post
Steve is a bit chuffed. It's actually 196bhp@ hubs. And approx 234bhp @ fly.

The torque low down is not as good as a std car being 140ftlbs however it increases to over 160ftlbs and holds it to over 6000rpm.

Peak power is at 6800rpm and revs to 7200rpm.

It has made what I predicted and I'm more than pleased with the final result.

250-260bhp achievable with 285 cams and head work.

It is completely docile to drive and when you stamp on the throttle it revs to 7k in a blink of an eye and sounds awesome.

It's been a long haul but a good result.

George
what rpm's is peak torque made and what is the peak torque?...it seems as if the plenum has moved the power band up the revs a bit, which is nice for a revvy engine.
Old 14-06-12, 06:44 PM   #5
Quadcam24

hmmmm, ive been thinking about this build and its results today because somehow it didn't add up and ive figured it out.
Now this isn't meant to cause arguemnet or upset anyone, but steve and george after all the work and time need to know the results are correct or not, because as it stands the quoted results are just impossible to achieve...so this is hopefully a constructive post, leading to investigation to solve or find out who is at error.

quote george

"The torque low down is not as good as a std car being 140ftlbs however it increases to over 160ftlbs and holds it to over 6000rpm.

Peak power is at 6800rpm and revs to 7200rpm."

please anyone who has a roller graph dig it out to try this or refer to drews graph 2-3 pages earlier in this thread.

put simply........Torque x revs creates bhp.
The actual formula is torque x revs divide 5252 = flywheel bhp.
This info is all on the net and applies to all engines wether large or small, standard or modified from fiesta to ferrari.

You can check on your graphs, pick a point in the revs anywhere, note the torque figure, then do the sum.....torque x revs divide 5252 and you will get your bhp for the same revs, try it !

Now then if we look at steves results , being 234 bhp and 160ft lb, we do the sums and realise these numbers are impossible.

peak torque is quote " over 160 and holds it to over 6000".
Ok so as we know torque is dropping off at 6000 revs, and so at 6800 its actually back down to circa 140ft lb...but for the sake of argumenet we will assume that the engine is still making peak torque of 160 at 6800 revs peak power,
( even though thats impossible), now lets do the sums.

( torque) 160 x (revs) 6800 divide by 5252 = 207 bhp flywheel

now if we take the actual torque at 6800 of 140 ft lb

140 x 6800 divide by 5252 = 181 bhp flywheel

we know torque is dropping over 6000 because george indirectly says so and hes seen the graph, but also because on a genuine roller graph torque and bhp always cross at 5252 rpm's, this is the point where torque is dropping and bhp is building, so at 6k torque is falling off quickly, once again check your own graphs to see.

To sum up , it is impossible to have less torque but more bhp at the same point in the revs, thats just fact.
You can lose torque low down and gain bhp high up but you will also gain torque high up. Anywhere torque is lost or gained in the rev range, the same will be mirrored by the bhp, check how on your graphs the torque and bhp mirror each other through the revs.
You cannot lose torque high up and yet gain bhp because one is as a direct result of the other.

To make a peak of 234 bhp steves engine actually needs 181ft lb at 6800 rpm's, and its just nowhere near , and cant get anywhere near with its current spec.
To gain top end bhp it needs to gain top end torque, and its actually lost torque compared to when the car was making 204 bhp on the standard plenum, so its actually making less power now than it was before the btcc plenum was fitted......assuming the quoted torque figures are correct.

Once again, this isnt intended to wind anyone up and i wonder if this is why we have no roller graph from thor...because its wrong!
I leave it to steve and george to decide how to go about solving this, but please keep us updated.

I can't believe no'one else spotted this !
Old 14-06-12, 07:41 PM   #6
MG6Turbo
Banned

MG6Turbo is on a distinguished road
Dave I havent even seen the Graph.

Ive requested it the day Steve posted the results.

I had a call from Thor regarding the results and i rang Steve and gave them to him.

Until I see the graph I cant comment, and Im sure the graph will put things into perspective.

Dave, only you have noticed it and thats because you have been dying to pick fault yet again.

Hondas dont have much torque, but have high horse power.

Once I have the graphs I will pass a comment, until then I wont.

However, why is it then, a Honda can make 271bhp but only have 150ftlb Dave?

I have never had doubts with Thor, and will ring them tomoz to chase the graphs.

I havent been to collect the car, as I have been involved with MG6 things !!

G
Old 14-06-12, 07:59 PM   #7
Quadcam24

sorry you seem to have taken offence.
You judge me wrongly, yes we have argued in the past and still disagree on things, but im trying to help here not pick fault !

hondas make high bhp with low torque because they rev much higher.
Bhp is a direct result of torque x revs ,so higher revs equals higher power
As i stated the formula works on every engine regardless of make or size, try it out or just do some research on the internet. I thought more people would have known this.
You need to check this out so you can sort steves car, please dont just discount this because its me saying it.

edit, find me a honda graph and post it here and we will test it.
Old 14-06-12, 08:21 PM   #8
Drew

Drew has a spectacular aura aboutDrew has a spectacular aura about
he's not the only one to notice, but i was waiting for the graph to show me different.

honda's rev a lot higher..

153.5lb/ft @ 5758, 213.7bhp @ 7476...
http://www.dyno-plot.co.uk/dyno/dyno...nda-Accura.htm

closest i could find to 270bhp with the lowest torque..

169.8lb/ft @ 7428, 275.7bhp @ 9115!!
http://www.dyno-plot.co.uk/dyno/dyno...ce-tech-dk.htm

Drew
Old 06-06-12, 08:49 PM   #9
MG6Turbo
Banned

MG6Turbo is on a distinguished road
You can once I get them from Thor.

G
Old 06-06-12, 09:51 PM   #10
tb steve

tb steve has a spectacular aura abouttb steve has a spectacular aura about
think i will keep the car for a while before i do any thing else to it plus i think G does not wont to see the car again lol well not for a little while anyway
Closed Thread