theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 02-02-15, 08:00 PM   #181
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
Damaged wiring you think ?

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-15, 10:27 PM   #182
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Definatly, as long as it holds togeather long enough for the emmisions retest it'll go on the list of fixes required.
talkingcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-15, 06:23 PM   #183
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
FFS

Brakes bleed properly and working.
Seat OK.
Cat on.
Emissions passed.
Rear reflectors ok

BUT

no brake lights and no rear fogs.

I spent a bit of time outside the garage trying to work out what was wrong but electrical faults are not easy to trace without any info except the diagram on the underside of the engine bay fuse box, the internal listing was missing when I got the car.

In the end I gave up and came home driving as if I had no brakes.

On the way someone pulled out in front of me so I went to jab the horn - no horn
The flip side is that it made it easier to work out where the fault was, the fuse in the engine bay had gone.

Now we have brake lights and fog lights but still no horn.

If you've been paying attention you'll remember that I had an issue a couple of weeks ago with the horn sounding continuously for ten minutes - that was the day after the first test, next day I swapped the lights and had no fogs, don't remember checking the brake lights.

I guess that the heavy rain that night got into the horn, internally earthing it causing it to sound until eventually the fuse gave way.
Old 03-02-15, 06:31 PM   #184
grimmy
its ginger its phenomenal

grimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud of
Not having the best of times with it right now have you james?At least you have got on top of most of them by now,as for the horn they are attrocious I am on my fourth horn on my car suppose at some point I should try and relocate it to somewhere the water won't get to as much.
Old 03-02-15, 08:53 PM   #185
talkingcars

The first time Mrs TC heard the horn she laughed, I have a twin horn that came off a meastro I broke to on at some point.

I was wondering why I didn't notice the symbol on the fuse box so I went and checked, it is a fusion of rear fogs and brake like symbols and impossible to read with my eye sight.
Old 04-02-15, 07:06 PM   #186
talkingcars

MOTed and now taxed

Emissions are spot on, CO at tickover is NIL, Nadda, zero.

Now to get it back to decat and smoked lights.
Old 05-02-15, 03:36 PM   #187
andys1981

andys1981 is a jewel in the roughandys1981 is a jewel in the roughandys1981 is a jewel in the rough
good to hear james
andys1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-15, 04:43 PM   #188
talkingcars

Thanks Andy.

It's a long time since I've had a chance to open her up, I'd forgotten how could the ZS is until I tried to get home in a hurry today, all the hassle faded away.
Old 15-04-15, 08:59 PM   #189
talkingcars

The tinted lights went straight back on but the decat is still hanging around .

The latest drama has been the air con.
When I picked her up from Sam nearly two years ago he mentined that the fan sometimes made a strange noise so he just switched it off and back on, I have been doing the same while planning to swap in the one that was still residing in the remaining hulk of GV51.

Over the last couple of weeks the fan hasn't been coming on for quite a while after starting the car and the last couple of days not at all. In the back of my mind was the fan not spinning would put more current through the hedgehog causing it to burn out.

Ideally in this warmer weather I'd be driving the MGF but I think work would suss that I have actually got two and the broken one sitting in the works car park is a bit of a rouse.
This means I have to take in the ZS which, being a black car, is a bit warm inside after sitting in the sun all day so I could do with the air con working.

Tonight was the final straw, she was 38'c inside when I got in!

When I got home I we had a quick discussion and Mrs TC said it wouldn't take long to sort her car for Saturday. If only she knew......

I made a coffee, dropped the fan out and it seemed quite stiff so I shot around to my sons and dropped the one out of GV51 (I also picked up the spoiler and the headlights ready to take up to POL).

I came back and drank the coffee, tried the older fan which also didn't work.
I then started searching the shed for the spare hedgehog from the abandond "climate control in a Mk1" project, only took 30 minutes but it was exactly where I didn't think it would be.

I then nearly gave up trying to split the plug on the spare one, but eventually I won. Knowing the correct methord made the one in the car much easier to deal with.

Testing it all before reinstalling showed it all working, and all back togeather I was getting cooled air out of the vents - happy days and all in an hour, half of which was in the shed.
Old 15-04-15, 09:01 PM   #190
talkingcars

and to round off the day - I'm now supping an Old Speckled Hen, I never drink on a school night, must be getting POL fever.