theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 08-06-15, 05:46 PM   #11
ShireRoller
RIP Adam

ShireRoller will become famous soon enough
Ide like to move pas pump an alternator so a straight lower inlet could be fitted to get rid of the swan necks.
ShireRoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-15, 07:32 AM   #12
Mark S

Mark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave23572 View Post
We have so many breathing mods available.
Exhausts and manifolds, inductions kits etc but unfortunately no one ever made a performance replacement for the standard plastic plenum/manifold (with unreliable VIS system).

It's a shame because I suspect this overlooked area would give good gains with something better.
the intake is so bad, that a really well designed replacement would see an extra 15-18bhp, but the alternator would need moving and pas moving or go electric rack, the costs would be a couple of grand, people get drip fed thousands on junk like janspeed mani's, badly designed stainless exhausts and intakes made from what can only be described as grandmas old hoover pipes, but I've not met anyone yet who would spend a big chunk of cash on one product that would really work, you end up in a stupid conversation about 'cheaper to supercharge or turbo!!! '
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-15, 08:18 AM   #13
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
I don't see why a discussion about forced induction should be termed as "stupid".

However, the kv6 and supercharging don't have a great history, as far as I know nobody has ever turbocharged one, and if you did it would work out very expensive to build an engine able to withstand a worthwhile amount of boost.

Drew was working on using the tb's off a Triumph bike which was looking promising.

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-15, 05:58 PM   #14
Mark S

Mark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to all
fi isn't stupid, rather the going round in circles that end in talk of fi.

steve had the wsr intake which appeared to give 15-20hp gain up for sale some time ago, great mod that should have been snapped up within minutes but wasn't. why not though? was it too expensive? too complex?
Old 09-06-15, 06:10 PM   #15
Rocket Red

Rocket Red will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
fi isn't stupid, rather the going round in circles that end in talk of fi.

steve had the wsr intake which appeared to give 15-20hp gain up for sale some time ago, great mod that should have been snapped up within minutes but wasn't. why not though? was it too expensive? too complex?
Most of us don't have that kind of spare cash otherwise I would have snapped that up in seconds.
Inner wing filter
Front strut brace
Rear strut brace
rear lower brace
Catch tank
Stainless cat back exhaust
Xpower springs
koni adjustable dampers
MG tf steering wheel

mod's coming soon
to many to list

http://www.deportivo-la-coruna.com
Rocket Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-15, 06:23 PM   #16
Mark S

sadly a well designed intake is that sort of cash and more
Old 09-06-15, 06:49 PM   #17
ShireRoller
RIP Adam

Ide be interested in making one if someone could help with the maths!
Hint at 'Mark S' there!
Old 09-06-15, 08:00 PM   #18
top_man_eldo

top_man_eldo is a jewel in the roughtop_man_eldo is a jewel in the roughtop_man_eldo is a jewel in the rough
I'm sure there is a fella who has made some significant changes to the intake manifold on a KV6 - he has a few clips on YouTube of his car. Adam rings a bell?
top_man_eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-15, 10:09 PM   #19
ShireRoller
RIP Adam

That'd be me I think an they are tweeked by someone on here!
Having trouble with it running right lean though, thinking of moving the map sensor back to the throttle body somehow. An been toying with new lower i lets for a while, so i could port the head out some more as the lower inlet diameter isnt very big. If I made a new lower inlet i'd try an make them straighter an longer an a little bigger. Not sure where to start with a valveless plenum
Old 09-06-15, 10:28 PM   #20
Mark S

Adam, where in the rev range do you think it's lean?

the maths are not difficult, but the costs of production are high, if you got ten people together as a group buy you'd be looking at over a grand a pop just to break even assuming the IP and designs where given for free.

as a road car the v6 needs vis to provide a fat wedge of torque throughout the Rev band, it's that fat torque and power curves gnat make the v6 what it is, quite different to a 4pot, it's not a big numbers engine but it's great at fat power.