theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 21-07-09, 08:13 PM   #11
edmo

edmo is on a distinguished road
speak to the afco mate sometimes they run of sessions for people who want to get in. My missus was offered this by tottenham court rd branch but she got pregnant before she got in. They also have DVDs and training plans to start low and build it up to required level. Also remember basic training (if u have to repeat this) expects to see you improve. Therefore don't get too amazing LOL justvgdt to a standard where you can get in and do well
edmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-09, 08:24 PM   #12
Simon's ZS-120

Simon's ZS-120 is on a distinguished road
well as ive been in before i need to make sure im better than what i was before or it will look like ive done nothing

The MG ZS MK2 120 In X-Power Grey
Simon's ZS-120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-09, 08:38 PM   #13
R8NMG

R8NMG will become famous soon enough
Do a combination of cardio and weights. If it is general fitness you don't want to be lifting 100kg.
R8NMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-09, 08:45 PM   #14
Simon's ZS-120

100kg hahahahahahaha not in my life time but thanks i will see how it goes

Old 22-07-09, 04:07 AM   #15
afcbadam

afcbadam is on a distinguished road
the personal trainers down my gym are a waste of time. if you want fitness and strength, running and weights will be the best way to go. get in to a sport, football boxing, any thing like that to help build up strength.

swimming is a good way to go as it works alot of muscles in the body.

it all works, im a 20 a day smoker and i can run a 4 minute mile no problem

Regal Autosport Astra GSI Turbo 304 bhp 356 lb/ft

Thorney motorsport Vectra vxr 305bhp 398lbft

Now its time to build a big turbo MG ZS

afcbadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-09, 08:07 AM   #16
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Most gyms should have staff there who can make a programme up for you designed around the type of fitness you are after, ie general fitness and stamina, just plain strength, or a mix of the two. That shouldn't cost you anything, as most of them will be sitting around without much to do all day.

Don't forget swimming if you're looking for something to increase your general fitness, as there is no impact on your joints, and if running's not for you, in the gym try the rowing machine - excellent all round cardio !

I've just started pounding the roads again preparing for a 10 mile run in Portsmouth in October. Can't wait !
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-09, 08:09 AM   #17
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by afcbadam View Post
...... i can run a 4 minute mile no problem

Blimey !!!
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-09, 11:30 AM   #18
StragglaSteve

StragglaSteve is on a distinguished road
If its good usable fitness your after i would recommend compound exercises which are a great way to get all round strength!

so things like deadlift, squats, bench press, military press, pull ups and push ups

i assume because its for the army your after a good bit of endurance! so try not to go too heavy on the weights so your able to do sets of 15 - 20 reps ... the more reps you do the more endurance training and less strength training it is.. so find a balance that suits you! i personally aim for 8-10 reps, but im after strength more then endurance

and as others have recommended... swimming, running and a good diet will give you heaps of energy!

as for strength.. i like to use the general rule that every man should be able to cope with his own body weight! so if your 12.5 stone like me... should be able to do a 80kg bench press (including the bar) or do 10 pull ups no sweat!

Anyway.. good luck on your training!!

52 LeMans Green MG ZS 120+ Saloon
StragglaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-09, 12:06 PM   #19
Simon's ZS-120

lol i can feel these next 5 months becoming very painfull but started on one thing and nearly got an 8 pack

Old 22-07-09, 03:28 PM   #20
TjP

TjP is on a distinguished road
If you're training for the military I wouldnt bother too much with weights tbh. Better off doing bodyweight exercises - pushups, pullups, tricep dips, squats, etc. Endurance is the key, not power. Adding in some weight lifting won't hurt, of course, but keep the reps high (20ish.)

I dunno about the Army, but for the RAF you need to be able to run 1.5 miles (2.4km) on the treadmill in under 12 minutes... which is not hard, but of course the fitter you are the better. Personally I try to do 2x 4 mile runs a week, just to keep a steady level of fitness.