Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Whos at fault
Me 17 54.84%
Him 6 19.35%
50/50 8 25.81%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18-12-14, 04:42 AM   #11
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
My first thought - woh, how fast were you going?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-ZS+ View Post
Honestly not sure on my speed, annoying as I was less than a minute from my house!
and this makes it worse.
Old 18-12-14, 06:07 AM   #12
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
I reckon yours mate. Too fast passing stationary traffic. Sorry ....
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-14, 06:40 AM   #13
Mark S

Mark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to all
is that a warning sign telling of queues likely?

you were driving way to fast past near stationary traffic, too fast to be able to stop, the other car was indicating and pulled into what was at the time a clear lane, you left your overtaking maneuver quite late considering, you were travelling way too fast to stop and you couldn't.
Your fault.
It would be a sad state of affairs if they decided any other way. SLOW DOWN!!!
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-14, 09:57 AM   #14
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
I've gone 50/50, sorry Jay.

I reckon when he checked to change lanes you would be on the L/H lane.

You signalled and pulled out into the R/H lane at roughly the same time as he pulled across.

The speed difference means you met, a few meters past where he pulled out. He could have put his foot down more and it might have been enough to avoid the hit.

As others have said if you were going a bit slower you would have had room to stop. Looks like a 40 mph speed limit, so you wernt speeding, but with the stationary traffic, a bit slower would have been better.

Dont know how the insurance company will view it, but they seem to go knock for knock. So you both pay for your own repairs. The old insurance rule, of the person that hits the other car is automatically to blame, seems to have changed.

If its only his boot, wonder if any scrappys have one in that colour???

Daughter got hit in her mini a few years back, coming out of a shopping centre. Bloke admitted it was his fault, few months later, he said she rolled back into him!! No witnesses, so that was settled knock for knock.

Looks like he had a witness, you alone in yours??

Good Luck with it.
Old 18-12-14, 11:12 AM   #15
hansligg

hansligg is on a distinguished road
Warning sign 2 seconds into video ''Queues likely'' then 30mph as approaching Round About. looking from that your approach does seem quicker than that.

on the other hand if you pull out into another lane it is the drivers responsibility to check the lane is clear to enter before pulling into the lane.

judging by that both parties are to blame. It avoid using that video as evidence if your planning on not taking 50/50
hansligg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-14, 11:18 AM   #16
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
I think I would say it was probably your fault for going past a line of stationary traffic at 'considerable' speed difference to them, in the dark, with a wet road, with a late lane change....

Yes he should not have pulled into your lane without checking a final time, but in the time it took him to start his manoeuvre you popped out from a place he could not see.

If the road was dry, you would probably have stopped in time, and that is why I say it was probably more your fault than his... 60\40 blame there
Dieselpowered
Fitting Custom Hybrid Turbo (1856GTBv) & controller; Remap, swirlpot, lift pump
AMW Motorsports
Custom exhaust manifold & downpipe
p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-14, 11:44 AM   #17
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
I initially thought the other driver at fault as he was the one who pulled out of a stationary queue into an empty lane and didn't meet the speed required to do so safely. However looking at the footage again it is clear that you were leaving it very late to change lanes and at speed.

On the approach to where you entered the right hand lane how long was the approach and was it two lanes or one lane that widens to two? There could be an argument where you were leaving it late and going too fast for the conditions.

If there were any witnesses they would side with the SEAT driver as you appeared to be too fast for the scenario and driving a BMW means it's always your fault!
Old 18-12-14, 11:52 AM   #18
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Just had another look and you don't appear to react to him pulling out, almost until impact .... Lucky the impact was more severe in that case to be honest.
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-14, 12:12 PM   #19
M17TT180

M17TT180 is a jewel in the roughM17TT180 is a jewel in the roughM17TT180 is a jewel in the roughM17TT180 is a jewel in the rough
I'd say without the video you'd be at fault, with the video 50/50

Lots of second- hand parts click HERE
Project Typhoon
M17TT180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-14, 04:05 PM   #20
Supercharged_Z
KV6 Supercharged

Supercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really nice
personally, that looked way to fast in traffic also in the wet. IMO, your fault due to the speed you were carrying.
Supercharged_Z is offline   Reply With Quote