theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 07-05-13, 07:45 PM   #21
bowthruster

bowthruster has a spectacular aura aboutbowthruster has a spectacular aura about
The trouble is Deano,that most people want everything for nothing,and i suppose i could include myself in that sentence.Everyone wants a bargain at the end of the day.Even though you are getting a great motor for the money.
Work safe, and remember all technical problems can be resolved with a hammer, the trick is knowing where to hit it and how big a hammer to use (I often find it may also help to have a spare bit in the shed to replace the bit you have just mullered
bowthruster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-13, 08:05 PM   #22
dean0

dean0 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowthruster View Post
The trouble is Deano,that most people want everything for nothing,and i suppose i could include myself in that sentence.Everyone wants a bargain at the end of the day.Even though you are getting a great motor for the money.
I agree - and I very much believe something is only worth what someone is willing to pay! the money is not a huge importance to me, if there was any possibility of me keeping the car as a weekender then I would however my daily commute is going to increase from being able to walk to work to about 75 miles per day and the ZS is just not going to be practical.

I'll probably end up part exchanging, the on-line system most dealers seem to use these days values it at £320, I'm not really bitter about this as I've loved every second of ownership and I've still lost less money in 18 months than if I'd owned almost anything else
dean0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-13, 08:14 PM   #23
bowthruster

bowthruster has a spectacular aura aboutbowthruster has a spectacular aura about
£380 christ that is low-but then its a dealers bottom p/x price.Shame really mg's are a good car for the money just a shame prices are low.Hope you get it sorted whatever you decide.
Work safe, and remember all technical problems can be resolved with a hammer, the trick is knowing where to hit it and how big a hammer to use (I often find it may also help to have a spare bit in the shed to replace the bit you have just mullered
bowthruster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-13, 09:20 PM   #24
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowthruster View Post
£380 christ that is low-but then its a dealers bottom p/x price.Shame really mg's are a good car for the money just a shame prices are low.Hope you get it sorted whatever you decide.
If you px in at one of these minimum px stealerships you may feel as though you get a better deal - Bristol St here are offering 1300 minimum against their used motors.

But back on track - is it worth it as it stands - no.
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-13, 10:44 AM   #25
Captain Peanut

Captain Peanut is a jewel in the roughCaptain Peanut is a jewel in the roughCaptain Peanut is a jewel in the rough
Interesting to stumble across this thread as am in exactly the same situation, mine needs at least £500 to bring it up to decent condition but at today's rates that's more than it's market value.

I have looked at trading it in but in all honesty I would simply end up with another potential money pit as don't have a huge budget. My current plan is to just keep the zed running and give up worrying about the dents and scratches, plough as much money into a savings account as possible and then re-evaluate my situation in 12-18 months time.
Old 08-05-13, 11:15 AM   #26
pb25

pb25 will become famous soon enough
Ive just spent £800 on my 53 plate td zed which is basically what its worth! Is it perfect?.....no but its a car I don't want to be without. It still needs a fair bit doing to it but it won't be leaving me for a while yet. I bought a non-running Peugeot Partner hdi MPV for £100 fixed that for £50 and use that for the daily commute.

I think it would be a real shame to break it
pb25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-13, 12:06 PM   #27
mattyprice4004

mattyprice4004 has a spectacular aura aboutmattyprice4004 has a spectacular aura about
Part of the reason I started my Shop was the amount of Rovers / MGs being broken due to parts prices, for example HGF or V6 cambelts.

I had to break my old ZS TD due to a bent con rod, was a shame as I love Zeds.
mattyprice4004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-13, 06:20 PM   #28
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
The real issue here is not tarting it up though - it's getting it running and reliable.

I bought mine for 500 with 10 months tax and a full tank of fuel - so the metal cost me what 250 ish .... but it was running.

Since then I've spent too much money on her, but now it runs really well, is decent to be in, and looks better.

But - it's till only worth a few hundred quid. The issue on this thread though, is spending money on it just to get it running.

Last edited by Dan1971; 08-05-13 at 06:22 PM.
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote