theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 03-07-14, 07:44 AM   #21
ZSZRANDRF900

ZSZRANDRF900 has a spectacular aura aboutZSZRANDRF900 has a spectacular aura about
its the higher PSI of the expensive fuels. they vapourise easier. uk fuel is between 6 and 9 PSI. when we are testing fuel systems in hot climate we use 14 and 16PSI fuel so it generates much higher vapour quicker. this enables us to check for carbon cannister saturation. the more efficient the fuel vapourises the less unburnt fuel left in the bore post ignition. this then " Cleans" the engine as the advert buff says, by actually slowing down the amount of carbon that blackens the engine oil.
Old 03-07-14, 09:17 AM   #22
hansligg

hansligg is on a distinguished road
forgive my questioning... what is RON?
hansligg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-14, 09:32 AM   #23
M17TT180

M17TT180 is a jewel in the roughM17TT180 is a jewel in the roughM17TT180 is a jewel in the roughM17TT180 is a jewel in the rough
There is a really great wiki page on Ron makes interesting reading.

Lots of second- hand parts click HERE
Project Typhoon
M17TT180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-14, 10:51 AM   #24
ZSZRANDRF900

ZSZRANDRF900 has a spectacular aura aboutZSZRANDRF900 has a spectacular aura about
Research Octane Number. its a standard that enable the engine designers and the fuel induatry to have a measureable octane scale.

in laymans terms the lower the Ron the faster the fuel/air mixture in the cylinder will burn. if the fuel burns too fast you get "Knocking" and engine components suffer damage. but the higher the RON the higher the exhaust emissions. this is why USA and Australian cars use a lower RON fuel. so to avoid knocking they adjust the ignition timing and reduce the knocking. at the expense of engine output. one of the reasons that yank tanks have bigger engines, they are running on low octane fuel and make less power.
Old 05-07-14, 08:48 AM   #25
ian zs180

ian zs180 is on a distinguished road
I have always used v power in my zed and it runs fine on it my main reason for using it is for the cleaning it does but recently my local shell garage is closed for refurb work and wont be open until September . So I have started using Tesco momentum and ive got to say my zed feels a little smoother and a bit more responsive now I don't know if its my imagination but I think I might stick on this momentum seems good stuff . It,s only 1p a litre more than standard shell fuel so happy days .
ian zs180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-14, 10:27 AM   #26
red robbo

red robbo has a spectacular aura aboutred robbo has a spectacular aura about
I run my 180 religiously on Momentum.
And I can say it's no figment of my imagination that the engine LOVES it!
Idle, throttle response, acceleration noticeably better.
A few pence more per litre over regular unleaded, but worth it for my car. Obviously, different cars, different results.
red robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-14, 11:51 AM   #27
Lukeus101

Lukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to all
Since we had the Focus ST ive never put "normal" unleaded in...just seems wrong to even think about it.

ZS Appreciation Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/475756782447499/

> ZR 105 (Broken) > MK2 ZS 180 (Sold) > MK1 ZS 180 (Sold) > ZR Replica (Dead) > MK1 ZS 180 (Broken)
Lukeus101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-14, 08:34 PM   #28
easytime

easytime is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by red robbo View Post
I run my 180 religiously on Momentum.
And I can say it's no figment of my imagination that the engine LOVES it!
Idle, throttle response, acceleration noticeably better.
A few pence more per litre over regular unleaded, but worth it for my car. Obviously, different cars, different results.
I agree the 180 does go better with the good fuel. Many years ago on forums people would argue about whether the engine could actually use the fuel. Many said the car could not adjust the timing! More said that it could adjust in advance only but not retard!!! These folks swore by those sentiments and not until someone from MGR confirmed that timing is fluid that the argument was closed.
easytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-14, 02:24 PM   #29
Fred68

Fred68 has a spectacular aura aboutFred68 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by easytime View Post
I agree the 180 does go better with the good fuel. Many years ago on forums people would argue about whether the engine could actually use the fuel. Many said the car could not adjust the timing! More said that it could adjust in advance only but not retard!!! These folks swore by those sentiments and not until someone from MGR confirmed that timing is fluid that the argument was closed.
From memory, the timing will advance a few degrees if the ECU doesn't get any knock returned by the knock sensors. This is why better fuels work better. I didn't think engine ECU could advance the ignition very far, far enough for optimum performance anyway, but at least it won't be retarding the ignition either. But if the MG Rover guy says timing is fluid, I guess it must be. Maybe I should run my V6 Freelander on it too.

Last edited by Fred68; 06-07-14 at 02:29 PM.
Fred68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-14, 09:59 AM   #30
hansligg

hansligg is on a distinguished road
Filled up 2 tanks of V Shell V-Power now and It uses the petrol so quickly i can actually watch it diminish! used a quarter of a tank (sittong the the first line from full tank, and ive just managed over 90 miles. not good considering I done 90 miles before it went below the full tank mark on usual standard unleaded.

Gonna try Morrisons fuel next full tank.

Although I prefer sainsburies prices regardless of what they have. £55 for a full tank is spot on!
hansligg is offline   Reply With Quote