theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 13-02-14, 10:48 AM   #21
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
I can't find how many turns a 180 rack should be lock to lock, but I can see from the part numbers that the 180 rack isn't shared with any other zs or 45/400.

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-14, 10:49 AM   #22
ZRed

ZRed is a jewel in the roughZRed is a jewel in the roughZRed is a jewel in the roughZRed is a jewel in the rough
I can`t see how the comparison test is relevant in all honesty.
Old 13-02-14, 09:00 PM   #23
dave23572

dave23572 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRed View Post
I can`t see how the comparison test is relevant in all honesty.

Why not?

It proves that the handling I'm looking for does exist in a FWD car.
It's just a question of whether it's acheiveable to replicate that handing in my ZS.
dave23572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-14, 09:26 PM   #24
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by petet16 View Post
I can't find how many turns a 180 rack should be lock to lock, but I can see from the part numbers that the 180 rack isn't shared with any other zs or 45/400.
IIRC it's 2.5 for the 180.
Old 13-02-14, 09:30 PM   #25
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
Good info, I s'pose I could have gone outside to check.

Old 13-02-14, 11:05 PM   #26
Mark S

Mark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave23572 View Post
Why not?

It proves that the handling I'm looking for does exist in a FWD car.
It's just a question of whether it's acheiveable to replicate that handing in my ZS.
handling and so called 'turn in', along with rack ratios are different things.

First, you are comparing a 10+? year old ZS with a much newer car, first, just think of the state of the rubber bushes.

Perhaps, different ratio racks? with different levels of power assist? (not got the data nor any intention on looking so can't really comment)

Then (assuming its the 57 plate model) a car with MacPherson front strut and a primitive backwards step rear suspension set-up that was slated as being worse than its predecessor.

It is not really a like for like.

On paper, the ZS should be - in the right hands - a better car through the corners (and i'm sure in the right hands it would be too), and if you put a qualified/quantified driver in each car, they would likely show you that it is still the case assuming the ZS suspension wasn't shagged out.

But a different driver may have different opinions, not having the ability to drive the car to its optimum dynamic capabilities (and I don't mean some hooligan creating tyre squeal), may prefer the feel of one car to another regardless of the cars ultimate capabilities.

Horses for courses, not wanting to get into driving standards over car dynamics, but I can tell you that coaching and driving tuition is more of an eye opener than many give it credit for and the ZS is often the party piece in surprises up against porsches and Ferraris on driving days, so the moral of the story is, in the right hands, the ZS still packs a great punch through the corners and is often used for this reason as a tuition car for driver coaching.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-14, 04:36 AM   #27
MG mad

MG mad is on a distinguished road
With the ARBs thing, I know these were adjusted throughout the production cycle, the handling team met every 6 months or so and took onboard customer feedback and modified stuff. I know, during my short time at MGR, that the rear ARB size on the 45 was changed.

"Driving sideways is the Meaning of Life"

1987 MG Metro - 1440cc fast road car
1988 MG Metro Turbo - standard, for now...
1970 MG Midget - 1.9L Scholar + big valve VVC + supercharger + RWD = YEEHAA!
1996 MGF 1.8i - Project Rally Car
1998 MGF Abingdon - Wife's fun car
1972 MGBGT - Project V12 MGB (Wife's money pit)
2005 MG ZT-T 260 - Wife's sensible car
2001 MG ZS 180 - LHD - sold to brother
2003 MG ZS 180 - Hurrah!
1956 MG ZA Magnette - the "wife wants to keep me busy" car
MG mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-14, 07:54 AM   #28
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

In view of the post above, it might be worth contacting Andy Kitson at VHS for an opinion on the best size of arb's.

Old 14-02-14, 08:23 AM   #29
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

Question asked, awaiting an answer.

Old 14-02-14, 03:52 PM   #30
Quadcam24

Quadcam24 is a jewel in the roughQuadcam24 is a jewel in the roughQuadcam24 is a jewel in the rough
im afraid your kidding yourselves if you think the zs will still out handle new hot hatches, in its day it was one of the best but technology goes a very long way in 12 years.
I remember coming across a very well driven bog standard renault megane 230 F1 on track and despite the fact i was faster around a lap(thanks to a massive power to weight advantage), it was way ahead of my zs through the corners despite the thousands i had thrown at it, it changed direction in a way my zs never even got close too, the meg 230 F1 is itself an old outdated model now, the new meg has moved the goal posts further forward again. All the new hot hatches on track with equal drivers would leave a zs far behind.