XPCobra

XPCobra is on a distinguished road
deffo get the ZS fixed, but shell out and get it done properly
XPCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-08, 12:03 AM   #22
Zedhead

Zedhead is on a distinguished road
Hi guys, thanks for the support,

I was a little wrong earlier, the guy will take my car and £700 for the megane, but thats old news now anyway, I have managed to talk the missus out of that one thank god, we went out earlier and have found a couple of very nice astra sri's and a vectra sri, I know there a step down from the look and handling of the zed, and I have to admit I don't want to get rid of the zed!!

Sadly I'm all out of faith with the car (and the bad bit, so is the missus!!!)
together were not prepared to take the risk, I was told the first time that it would not happen again, but it has...
(I'm not implying that EMS would not sort it for good)
I have always looked after the car and due to the first HGF within only a couple of weeks of owning the car I have driven the car with care very rarely taking it over 3000rpm!!!
from the amount of info I have gained since owning the car it would seem theres a very thin line with the 1.8's you either get one that runs perfect or you get one that just wants to give you a nervous breakdown...
which is a real shame because there such fun cars to drive,

you never know, I might regret it and get a 2.5 v6 for the weekend when the tax hits hard and the prices get even lower...????
Zedhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-08, 05:23 AM   #23
Boot Hill Bandit
Coming back home!.......

Boot Hill Bandit is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedhead View Post
Hi guys, thanks for the support,

I was a little wrong earlier, the guy will take my car and £700 for the megane, but thats old news now anyway, I have managed to talk the missus out of that one thank god, we went out earlier and have found a couple of very nice astra sri's and a vectra sri, I know there a step down from the look and handling of the zed, and I have to admit I don't want to get rid of the zed!!

Sadly I'm all out of faith with the car (and the bad bit, so is the missus!!!)
together were not prepared to take the risk, I was told the first time that it would not happen again, but it has...
(I'm not implying that EMS would not sort it for good)
I have always looked after the car and due to the first HGF within only a couple of weeks of owning the car I have driven the car with care very rarely taking it over 3000rpm!!!
from the amount of info I have gained since owning the car it would seem theres a very thin line with the 1.8's you either get one that runs perfect or you get one that just wants to give you a nervous breakdown...
which is a real shame because there such fun cars to drive,

you never know, I might regret it and get a 2.5 v6 for the weekend when the tax hits hard and the prices get even lower...????
Understood.........let us know how you get on. If you sell the car it doesn't mean you are no longer welcome on here..........keep in touch dude

Jim
Old 28-05-08, 07:27 AM   #24
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
I can see where you are coming from with regards owning a fragile motor. If you have a car that is known for hgf, you are always looking for it to go again. However, if done correctly and using the latest pattern replacements they seldom go again as all parts have been redesigned and uprated. After all Lotus have the very same lump in some Elises.
Old 29-05-08, 11:30 AM   #25
Zedhead

if somebody could post me a list to all the EXACT bits I need to fix this head gasket I would be very greatful, think its gonna have to be a repair job for now and then make a decision after

i'm a very honest person and I'm just not prepared to sell this car to an unsuspecting buyer, afterall thats what happened to me when I bought the car and I know how it feels...

I know somebody who is competent enough to do a good job much cheaper then the £700 I have been quoted already, and I can be there while the work is done,
he's a good friend so I know he wont try to cut corners, even then from my experience if i'm honest I dont trust anybody in Hull to work on this car, its amazing how many garages have told me that this 'better landrover gasket' is just a rumour and the metal gasket with red beading is still the best one to use, thats why I have decided to buy all the needed parts myself and ask my competent mechanic friend to do the work,

head gasket repair bits only (part numbers and were to buy it all at a good price would be great), I very much doubt the head will need skimming, it didn't get chance to overheat properly, luckily the temp started to go up right outside my house and it barely got to another quarter above halfway before I turned the engine off...

thanks in advance
Old 29-05-08, 12:13 PM   #26
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
This and this may put your mind at ease.
Old 29-05-08, 03:23 PM   #27
Boot Hill Bandit
Coming back home!.......

Boot Hill Bandit is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedhead View Post
if somebody could post me a list to all the EXACT bits I need to fix this head gasket I would be very greatful, think its gonna have to be a repair job for now and then make a decision after

i'm a very honest person and I'm just not prepared to sell this car to an unsuspecting buyer, afterall thats what happened to me when I bought the car and I know how it feels...

I know somebody who is competent enough to do a good job much cheaper then the £700 I have been quoted already, and I can be there while the work is done,
he's a good friend so I know he wont try to cut corners, even then from my experience if i'm honest I dont trust anybody in Hull to work on this car, its amazing how many garages have told me that this 'better landrover gasket' is just a rumour and the metal gasket with red beading is still the best one to use, thats why I have decided to buy all the needed parts myself and ask my competent mechanic friend to do the work,

head gasket repair bits only (part numbers and were to buy it all at a good price would be great), I very much doubt the head will need skimming, it didn't get chance to overheat properly, luckily the temp started to go up right outside my house and it barely got to another quarter above halfway before I turned the engine off...

thanks in advance
Please please please phone Ralph for advice and parts...............you don't have to have the work done at EMS but they have done sooooooo many HGF's and not had comebacks it will be worth your phone call to get advice on what parts to buy.

Don't forget to tell him you are a forum member and would like the forum discount.

Jim
Old 29-05-08, 03:43 PM   #28
Zedhead

looks good, sadly to far away for me, and the needing to service with them makes it 'more expense' with my current budget

once the car is repaired sadly theres a very high chance that it will be up for sale,

the repair is going to cost me parts (I supply) + £60 labour due to the guy been a friend,
he has said the head could be an issue, and it 'may' need to be skimmed but obviously he can't say without looking and if it does that will cost extra,

im guessing its worth taking the risk, because the car has not properly overheated, the temp went no further then the mark after half way, before the engine was turned off, so am I right in thinking it probably won't need to be skimmed?

again just so I know I have the correct bits can somebody tell me what I need exactly?
Old 29-05-08, 03:45 PM   #29
Zedhead

cheers boot hill, I will give him a call A.S.A.P
Old 29-05-08, 04:03 PM   #30
ZS
IT Administrator

ZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of light
Make sure you use the Landrover MLS Gasket and the new OIL Rail (Which I have a spare one currently)

Also ensure you clean the sump out and especially the Oil strainer as this is the cause of sooo many re-occurrences!

I love it when people call me at 3 AM. "Hey, you asleep?" "No, I'm skydiving."

http://www.bexairbrushing.co.uk
ZS is offline   Reply With Quote