theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 09-03-13, 08:43 AM   #311
Craig-ZS180

Craig-ZS180 is a jewel in the roughCraig-ZS180 is a jewel in the roughCraig-ZS180 is a jewel in the roughCraig-ZS180 is a jewel in the rough
I dont know if it would work with coilovers dues to spring diameters and so on and on a track car may affect the handling but would spring assistors or a similar thing help? Only thinking back to when a friend used to have his 800 vitesse that was lowered, he used to tow his race car with it and every time he hitched it up it would scrub like buggery.
We fitted the spring assistors, a rubber block to go between two coils and it stopped it from happening as it stopped one coils worth of travel as they took up the compression. Didnt affect the ride height at all though.
As I say not sure this would work on yours but may be a possibility?
Old 09-03-13, 11:17 AM   #312
Maxxed_Ross
Events Organiser-Scotland

Maxxed_Ross has a spectacular aura aboutMaxxed_Ross has a spectacular aura about
no that wouldn't work, all they do is prevent the bottom few coils from compressing.

www.facebook.com/EX259

"It's not broken, it's an opportunity to upgrade!"
Maxxed_Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-13, 11:45 AM   #313
Craig-ZS180

Craig-ZS180 is a jewel in the roughCraig-ZS180 is a jewel in the roughCraig-ZS180 is a jewel in the roughCraig-ZS180 is a jewel in the rough
Didnt think it would but thought would still say just incase. Can the coilovers not be stiffened up more to compensate the compression in the bends?
Old 09-03-13, 02:33 PM   #314
Maxxed_Ross

Maxxed_Ross has a spectacular aura aboutMaxxed_Ross has a spectacular aura about
probably, I'd need to look into it

www.facebook.com/EX259

Old 04-04-13, 01:01 AM   #315
Maxxed_Ross

Another update

After spending a chunk of time at ZRed the new engine is 80% back in and things are moving to get it finished and running ASAP

With the new turbo being bigger, it's caused a few issues with pipe-work that I wasn't expecting... so that needs sorted before anything else can happen.

Also made a start on getting the map for it sorted out

So it's all moving in sort of the right direction again

www.facebook.com/EX259

Old 04-04-13, 03:47 AM   #316
andy-81

andy-81 has a spectacular aura aboutandy-81 has a spectacular aura about
Ooooooh I've made a man mess in me trousers!!! This is gonna be awesome I can't wait to see the first video and maybe get to see it in the flesh
andy-81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-13, 07:48 PM   #317
Maxxed_Ross

Right suppose it's time for an update on this since it's been a while

To cut a long story short it's all gone a bit wrong.

The engine swap turned out to be a bit of a nightmare... I thought it would be more or less a straight swap but a few of the major components are in totally different places - so all the pipework that I had made up recently for the intercooler and cooling is going to have to be modified to suit.

During all that a few points were highlighted as being... not quite right. So I did a full nut and bolt assessment on it and found a load of things that either need looked at again, need changed or I'm not happy with. A few parts of the suspension are going to cause issues and I've found another few things that would cause problems if I ever want to race it.

As a result of that I've now totally run out of money for the project (buying that last engine that was supposed to solve all my engine needs actually put me into a fair bit of debt)... I can't justify spending the silly amounts of money that this car seems to constantly require to inch it closer to the finish line.

To top it all off when I was pushing it into the garage one of the front tyres caught the body kit and ripped the arch in half. That has highlighted how unsuitable the body kit is going to be for track use. I honestly thing it's going to fall apart.

So for the last few months it's been stashed in the garage in bits and I've not even looked it it. I've properly had enough of it now.

I'm totally lost as to what to do with it now. Put it away and look at it again with fresh eyes next year? Sell it? Set fire to it?

Now in the past few months my frustrations and stress levels have been taken the wrong way by a few people, so to save any more arguing or falling out with people none of the above is the fault of anyone that has been involved in the project past or present. Things have been done wrongly or missed because of lack of knowledge on my part or situations that were never expected. I can't think Dreadnought Racing, Stainless Creations, Sitech and ZRed enough for all the work done so far.

www.facebook.com/EX259

Old 14-06-13, 07:56 PM   #318
Maxxed_Ross

oh and since it's tradition to update with a picture... I finally got the Skunk2 arms fitted with a bit of machining

www.facebook.com/EX259

Old 14-06-13, 08:12 PM   #319
maxtherotti

maxtherotti will become famous soon enough
Those arms look sweet!!!

As does the whole car for that matter!!

Rob
Old 14-06-13, 08:24 PM   #320
BUCKYDEVIL

BUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud of
Damn sorry to be reading all the ball ache this project is giving you,
Ive been following your updates for a while now & there seems to be a recurring problem of you making progress then getting the legs taken from under you...
the idea of a time out might not be so bad unless you really want to cut your losses with everything youve put to it though with not just cash but blood n tears it would be painfull to sell at a loss.
good luck with what ever you decide buddy,
BUCKYDEVIL is offline   Reply With Quote