theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 14-06-13, 08:34 PM   #321
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Can now see why the development costs for the BTCC cars are so expensive.

Trouble is you are doing this on your own without even the backing of sponsors.

Could you just go back to a T16 or something that will more or less drop in?? Dont know what the new engine was but sounds pricey to get it fitted and plumbed in.

Have no idea of the money that would cost, but maybe keep the other engine and turbo till you might be in the position to fit it.

Seems a shame to lose heart now, when you are so close. But can understand your position, we all know what a money pit our own ZS's can be, multiply that by a 100 and expect getting nearer to you.

I expect things can be said, or thought in the heat of the moment, but hopefully all with the best intentions.

Anyway, we are all behind you and wish you well with whatever you decide. Just following your attempts to rescue EX259 wins my admiration. From a scrap body to 95% back to a Touring Car...............fantastic.

Old 14-06-13, 09:13 PM   #322
Supercharged_Z
KV6 Supercharged

Supercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really nice
sad days but making a playstation car into what you really like was always going to be hard work.

I am about to advertise 2 race winning BTCC cars in auto sport you could buy one for 40k, big money but a well proven car and so on. I don't need to tell you as I know how much you have wasted but playing the devil you should have got the thing running with the bhp you wanted first and then worry about the rest.

lovely car none the less
Supercharged_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-13, 09:50 PM   #323
Mark S

Mark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to all
you have come a long way with it, possibly too far to throw the towel in.

But being realistic, you are unlikely to race this competitively as the suspension side has not been built race spec levels, there are club level ZS's out there with better suspension.
Couple this to the fact that it is very difficult to find a race series to enter a car like this in running the slicks on the wheels you have;
the series tend to be standard silhouette and slicks (such as cockshoot cup), or fairly free body regs but list 1b tyres (such as msvt/msvr and castle combe perhaps - but geographically not sensible for you).
Above all, the body is quite bespoke and its not like you can change wings, splitters and arches easy and cost effectively every time you prang it like a true touring car.

Don't take the above the wrong way, what you have is something to cherish, it is at least a piece of history, but perhaps it will always be the replica that never was and a great looking road car with decent performance.
If it was mine, I would view it this way.
You can spend too much time trying to perfect it, when you could be out enjoying it for what it is, even with compromises.

On another note, those ex 888 vectra's were great cars, and if it includes an engine, pretty good at 40k.
The BINZ vectra - as tatty as it is - proves that they can still lead in Jack Sears
I wonder if the Jack Sears will separate in time and run its own series/championship like there is for the old (yet still current here in the UK) nasp clio cup? There is already a series for them running this season but it will likely be full next year when the cup goes 1.6T

I think the ex wsr BM's were about 50k, but not sure about the engine package tho.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-13, 11:08 PM   #324
andys1981

andys1981 is a jewel in the roughandys1981 is a jewel in the roughandys1981 is a jewel in the rough
a know its costing you a lot doing this ross,but its getting there mate,fingers crossed bud,maybe leave it for a while,and then go back to it,your doing well tho mate seriously,hope it works out for u mate really do
andys1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-13, 08:34 AM   #325
Supercharged_Z
KV6 Supercharged

Supercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really nice
is g
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
you have come a long way with it, possibly too far to throw the towel in.

But being realistic, you are unlikely to race this competitively as the suspension side has not been built race spec levels, there are club level ZS's out there with better suspension.
Couple this to the fact that it is very difficult to find a race series to enter a car like this in running the slicks on the wheels you have;
the series tend to be standard silhouette and slicks (such as cockshoot cup), or fairly free body regs but list 1b tyres (such as msvt/msvr and castle combe perhaps - but geographically not sensible for you).
Above all, the body is quite bespoke and its not like you can change wings, splitters and arches easy and cost effectively every time you prang it like a true touring car.

Don't take the above the wrong way, what you have is something to cherish, it is at least a piece of history, but perhaps it will always be the replica that never was and a great looking road car with decent performance.
If it was mine, I would view it this way.
You can spend too much time trying to perfect it, when you could be out enjoying it for what it is, even with compromises.

On another note, those ex 888 vectra's were great cars, and if it includes an engine, pretty good at 40k.
The BINZ vectra - as tatty as it is - proves that they can still lead in Jack Sears
I wonder if the Jack Sears will separate in time and run its own series/championship like there is for the old (yet still current here in the UK) nasp clio cup? There is already a series for them running this season but it will likely be full next year when the cup goes 1.6T

I think the ex wsr BM's were about 50k, but not sure about the engine package tho.

All engines are leased anyway, there is one engine but it's old spec about 12k should give it the bhp of the rest, all thr work to do is in the head.

There is an almighty sized spares package with the cars I have never seen anything like it and thats after ChrisJames took his fair share of bumpers etc.

Price wise it's hard to value they were originally up at 105k for the pair so this is a big drop. I think it's pprobably still a bit high as the cars have no series to run in and the grid is full this year. It's a massively deprecating asset which will get a lot worse if not used
Supercharged_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-13, 09:41 AM   #326
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Frustrating - might be worth getting it running as it is and then going around improving the bits you are not happy with between sessions.

Alternatively take a break for a while until it seems less of a burden.

TBH I would hate to put so much effort in to take it racing, the risk of damage is too great, I'd be looking at track days.

All IMHO of course.

James
Old 15-06-13, 12:58 PM   #327
Ritchy
technically an expertish

Ritchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to all
So what physically needs doing now to make it run? Sure you must be getting pretty close to it, nightmarei know but i'm sure it will be worth it in the end
Old 15-06-13, 01:58 PM   #328
sneekyparrot

sneekyparrot is a jewel in the roughsneekyparrot is a jewel in the roughsneekyparrot is a jewel in the roughsneekyparrot is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up

Ross, cover it up and put it in the garage until you are in a better place. You will not be able to sell it for anything like your current investment.

Built enough bikes to see the rut your in. Last one was left in bits for 18months i was so pissed off with it, but 18 months later i was glad i did not sell the parts cause 8months after that i was riding it down the road.

why can't the car have a vic test to get a plate and make it road legal?

P.
Old 15-06-13, 02:30 PM   #329
Maxfly
Site Ambassador

Maxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to all
Take that time out Ross, I think you would end up feeling worse in the future if you did get shot of it. The time you have spent as well as the money already and to get shot without having her do at least part of what you want wouldn't sit well with you. Find that giant kit kat and have a break
Old 15-06-13, 04:46 PM   #330
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
I know i have not sunk in the funds you have - but keep it /store it and come back to it on another day... maybe take the time away from the car to try and plan the next steps.

If you sell you may regret it after everything you have done. While it may not ever make it into the race series you wanted it too - a good quality replica would still be fun on the track as a toy.....

Hope you keep hold of it after everything you have done already...

Good luck with whatever you decide though!
Dieselpowered
Fitting Custom Hybrid Turbo (1856GTBv) & controller; Remap, swirlpot, lift pump
AMW Motorsports
Custom exhaust manifold & downpipe
p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote