Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 14-04-10, 10:31 AM   #31
MG6Turbo
Banned

MG6Turbo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyCoupe View Post
This is sounding like a cool project and I will wait with excitement but I'm surprised that you are using a VVC as you didn't have a lot of good to say about the engine 8 months ago.
Well if you spend more money on the engine and install stronger components, then theres no reason it shouldnt deliver.

I want a fun trackday car, and this to me would be fun. The lighter front end, will help turn in and also braking.

It will be up and running this week as a normal vvc, then after a shakedown at Beford, i can then start the turbo install.

Im not in any rush, just like to have different things to play with in the garage.

G
MG6Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-10, 12:23 PM   #32
Tony10

Tony10 is on a distinguished road
How will you be ovecoming the compression with the turbo? Also Garry would back me up on this there is a chap from the central belt who has a turbo chaged K series mini and he felt the 1.4 non vvc engine was better and stronger after alot of testing. He was running 250-300 bhp!

He was telliong me that the cltch was the hardest part and ended up making one himself. The guy knew what he was talking about. I think he had gone through 8 engines in testing just with them breaking.

I think this will be a great project because the lighter engine alothough acks strength is cheep as chips to replace when it blows up.

There are some pics and spec here!

http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=8483

and

http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=8447

MG ZS180 176bhp Standard

Tony10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-10, 12:26 PM   #33
JimmyCoupe

JimmyCoupe is on a distinguished road
Talking

Sounds like you are having fun again George, and I wish you all the best in the project. The VVC is a cracking engine in my opinion with lots of room for improvement and its would be nice to have options away from the stoneaged fifty ton T16 Turbo engine if Turboing is your thing . Good to see you happy again matey and I like the new business name.
JimmyCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-10, 01:33 PM   #34
MG6Turbo
Banned

Well I had already turboed a 1.4 5 years ago, and also did a 1.8 turbo back in 2003 just after MG launched there turbo engine.

I had a special build which used forged pistons, h section rods, a reuseable copper headgasket( which i still have !) 660cc injectors, dta ex48 ecu, and the car was very quick with this engine in.

The 1400 zr turbo was a hoot too, with 170bhp from 5.5psi of boost.

Yes I found the 1400 a stronger unit, and i do know turbo technics managed 400bhp from a turboed 1400 k series !

Mg also had a high powered supercharged 1400 k too, as i am friends with the chap that built the supercharger system for it.

So, I am quite well up on the forced induction side of things when it comes to a k.

Ive chosen the vvc again, as i want to see how far we can go with it. My mates vvc 1.8 honda is turboed with 400bhp coming from it, so I would like to see the k make some startling figures !

G
Old 14-04-10, 02:50 PM   #35
Tony10

Tony10 is on a distinguished road
Great stuff George.

Dennis was the guys name with the 1.4k turbo mini and I remeber him saying to me that the gasket he was using was the landrowver up rated one but had found the niormal rover one to be just as good. All down to the fitting.

My vvc metro was great fun 180bhp no prblem Infact Matt from Metropower managed 200bhp with throttle boddies and was still looing for more.

I look forward to hearing soem more about this.

MG ZS180 176bhp Standard

Tony10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-10, 03:52 PM   #36
MG6Turbo
Banned

Funnily enough, the guy who was commisioned by MG to supercharge the k series was called Dennis.. lol

There shall be some updated pics tomoz when Alan takes them.

George
Old 15-04-10, 06:08 PM   #37
Alan.F

Alan.F is a jewel in the roughAlan.F is a jewel in the roughAlan.F is a jewel in the roughAlan.F is a jewel in the rough
Engine now fitted just waiting for the DTA to be wired up so it shoukd be running tomorrow

Alan.F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-10, 08:07 PM   #38
Ritchy
technically an expertish

Ritchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to all
wee steam clean n thatd look minted
Old 15-04-10, 08:11 PM   #39
MG6Turbo
Banned

Its not finished yet ! lol

G
Old 15-04-10, 08:18 PM   #40
Ritchy
technically an expertish

Ritchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to all
yeah but steam clean round the engine bay n itd look good:P i love the steam genies at work clean everything with them, engine parts, cars, overalls if im running low lol