Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 21-04-09, 09:27 AM   #31
arwilson80
Founding Members

arwilson80 is on a distinguished road
It's been approved...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/dri...cle6136213.ece

Quote:
As a former Traffic Police Head, I would ask who is going to enforce this? Where is the data to prove justification? Cameras are not the total answer, as the old rule says, engineering, education and then enforcement. Sorry, this simply will not work and once again the cops will get the blame.

Dave, Rugby, Warwickshire

"People in cars cause accidents. Accidents in cars cause people. Drive only with proper protection."
"You should try one. It's bloody good" - Jeremy Clarkson (commenting after driving a ZS180)
"Fines are a tax for doing bad, Taxes are a fine for doing good" - Unknown
GPS - Because guys don't know how to ask directions

MG ZS 180
3.5L V6 Ford Taurus
2.7L V6 EcoBoost Ford F150 4x4
arwilson80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-09, 09:38 AM   #32
TjP

TjP is on a distinguished road
So is it just A roads? Or B roads too?

Title specifies A roads but in the body it mentions rural single carriageways too (B roads?).

Total bummer anyway. I've had the space saver wheen on the last few days, so 50mph has been my maximum and my god its boring!
Old 21-04-09, 09:42 AM   #33
arwilson80
Founding Members

I'm not sure TBH, but knowing how things are going...

edit: looks like NI & Scotland might get 'lucky... maybe one of the benefits of devolution?
http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8009364.stm

"People in cars cause accidents. Accidents in cars cause people. Drive only with proper protection."
"You should try one. It's bloody good" - Jeremy Clarkson (commenting after driving a ZS180)

MG ZS 180
3.5L V6 Ford Taurus
Old 21-04-09, 11:05 AM   #34
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
I would be more concerned regarding the other points stated in that report. Seems we have fewer rights as a motorist and the cyclist getting more, even if they are not enforced to take tests and courses! So we can get a fine and points for passing a cyclist too close............so what about the cyclist that passes too close when in stop/start traffic? Some cyclists ride about 3' from the kerb and rural places leaves no room to get past. I also see many still riding 2 or more abreast, I see nothing being done about that one.

Always penalising the motorist, us older, more 'mature' drivers end up paying for the immature younger drivers out there. The changes proposed will not make a huge difference, quite how they measured it can save 1000 lives is beyond me when they admit they do not record all incidences.

Knee jerk reaction and a poor opinion poll = trying to make amends and save face.
Old 21-04-09, 01:08 PM   #35
arwilson80
Founding Members

you think it may be a way of frustrating the motorist into getting rid of the car as there is no real benefit of having one?

..and as for 'saving face'. It seems that it's all Labour have been doing TBH, and not even that. If something needs 'fixed' it seems to be a law for this and a law for that..

MG ZS 180
3.5L V6 Ford Taurus
Old 21-04-09, 07:38 PM   #36
TjP

TjP is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamford View Post
I also see many still riding 2 or more abreast, I see nothing being done about that one.
Lol that happened to me about 30 mins ago on my way home. Perhaps they didnt realise I was crawling along behind them round some bends but they made no effort to make it easier for me to pass (ie going single file)
Old 11-08-09, 08:26 PM   #37
ViT

ViT is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwilson80 View Post
I was saying over on the ZR site, 10 years driving and i've never been one to stick to speed limits yet only 2 times (that i can remember) have i had a bump. Both times were <10mph (1 - guy reversed into me going into an entry; 2 - caught car on the side of house reversing) too!

IMO speed does not kill. Driver stupidity and taking stupid decisions does. The number of times i have seen drivers passing on blind crests, blind corners, etc even in the last 6 months is ridiculous. And it's not always young drivers that do it... van drivers are worst of the lot.
I'm a brand new driver and consider myself to be on a steep learning curve, however many experienced drivers who've been in a car with me (11+ years of driving) consider me to be a safe driver - I also am developing my ability to know when and where to have fun and the ability to really read what's going on around you, in my short spout of driving, nearly every "developing situation" has involved busses not using their mirrors. (Just had an official letter of apology from a bus company where I live as I was nearly in a serious RTA with one swurving into my lane without checking mirrors). I guess buses in Birmingham are particularly bad.

You are totally right, Speed does not kill, a recless disregard for other road users (inc pedistrians) kills. I think it's also aways unfair to lable young drivers as "Immature" - it just depends on the person really. Most nutters I've seen on the road tend to of a wide age gap.

Last edited by ViT; 11-08-09 at 08:29 PM.
ViT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-09, 08:51 PM   #38
Marky Mark

Marky Mark is on a distinguished road
Angry

I can't see how the new scheme is going to work, I am an hgv driver and have to pass many cyclists everyday, they come down the inside of you, leaving you hardly any room to manoeuvre around them, they come around the outside of you, they also go through red lights in London, so why do they not get penalised, but the government see the cyclist as going green the new way forward, but what about us drivers!!!!

Yes, they are trying to get us car drivers off of the road, spoiling our safe fun on the roads, and reducing speed limits, I can understand it in some areas, but not 40mph on a dual carriageway the A217 Reigate road which I drive down every afternoon in a lorry. Come on man give us a break!!!
Marky Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-09, 09:11 PM   #39
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Wink

Looks like another stealth tax, they have to balance the books after bailing out the banks, so the poor bankers can still have their fat bonus, if they make money or not.

Motorists are the easy way of collecting cash, tax on fuel, Road fund, tax on insurance, parking fines for this and that, £60 for going over the limit, what about all the bikes that are out there without lights at night, usually all in dark clothing.

I can remember driving Ford Pops with 6 volt lighting and vacume windscreen wipers, now that was fun, on a wet and rainy night, trying to overtake a lorry throwing out loads of spray.

Now our cars can light up the road for miles and have the power to get by most things without too much trouble.

The speed limits need raising not lowering, mutter mutter mutter.
peterzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-09, 09:51 PM   #40
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Jay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of light
Wont make any difference I will still drive at 70 lol just keep the road angle up todate, and need to work on the "james bond fake spinning plates" lol

Like pete said its all another way of stitching up the people of their money,

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Jay-ZS+ is offline   Reply With Quote