theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 21-07-10, 06:23 PM   #31
jmcleavy

jmcleavy is on a distinguished road
Thats bad luck mate, glad i read this cos even though my 180 has only got 44000 on the clock i have been advised that i should still get the belts done.

Guess its gonna make sense to get it done at a garage who supply the parts, if only for peace of mind.

Just picking the right garage.

Any recommendations appreciated guys, would travel to a certain extent but live in Hull
jmcleavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-10, 12:22 PM   #32
MG ZS STE
Site Supporter

MG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex180 View Post
Well the assessor has finaly been down and has done his report he is sure that the pre tensor bearing failed
Hello mate, did you not get the tensioner replaced as part of the service? i have read that the tensioner can be replaced at every alternate cambelts change but as a matter of course you may as well get it done while youve got the belts off for the sake of the extra ?40.
Old 16-11-11, 09:19 PM   #33
alex180

alex180 is on a distinguished road
Well guys it's been a long time since I last posted on here but to day after 17 months lots of solicitors bills and massive headaches I now have my mk2 180 back in one piece and in full working order with a new engine curtesy of the garage, To say im pleased she's home is an understatement! It's been a long time coming, Yes I have fort hard to get my car back and yes it was expensive to do so but im my oppinion these cars are worth every penny! Now time to enjoy her and hopefully get to afew meets
alex180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-11, 07:42 AM   #34
ZS-GIXER

ZS-GIXER is on a distinguished road
Who took responsibility for the damage? and did you get all your costs back mate?
ZS-GIXER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-11, 01:58 PM   #35
big_wasa

big_wasa has a spectacular aura aboutbig_wasa has a spectacular aura about
yeh tell us the ins and outs, I guess the garage didnt want to swallow the repair ?
big_wasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-11, 04:09 PM   #36
daytona365

daytona365 is a jewel in the roughdaytona365 is a jewel in the roughdaytona365 is a jewel in the rough
My idler pully broke.................Sheered right in two!!
daytona365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-11, 06:03 PM   #37
alex180

alex180 is on a distinguished road
When if first happened I went strate for the cambelt company who put it down to poor fittment the garage didn't take to kindly to that but offered me no help to prove other wise so ended up paying for an independent engineers reports to be done the report went either way saying both garage and cambelt company where at fault, after this things wernt going any where with nether party accepting fault in part or full so I got a solicitor involved he advised Me to get a 2nd report done which pointed the finger strate at the garage so the solicitor went with the report which stated 3 masive reasons why they where at fault, then started to make a claim against them, after alot of emails between them and my solicitor some good some not! We ended up on an agreement which left me paying for my own legal costs and reports n the garage paying to repair my car. To this day the garage believe they where not at fault and only repaired my car as a good will guesture even though they where the last people to touch it befor it went epically wrong funny though they were adamant for the matter not to go to court!

Sorry if that was abit of a read guys I'm dyslexic and really struggle to explain things so I hope it makes some sort of sence
alex180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-11, 07:22 AM   #38
tcb 180

tcb 180 will become famous soon enough
You were lucky to resolve that tbh in the way you did. The garage fitted your own independently sourced parts and ended up footing the bill for a new engine. Nice result for you but I suspect it was a faulty component and the supplier got off scot free. LATES 600 every time for me. Well worth the journey.
tcb 180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-11, 10:49 AM   #39
ZS-GIXER

ZS-GIXER is on a distinguished road
It's still cr@p that you are what appears to be a lot of money out of pocket for all the solicitors bills and inspections.
ZS-GIXER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-11, 11:40 AM   #40
pheelay

pheelay is a jewel in the roughpheelay is a jewel in the roughpheelay is a jewel in the rough
Woah, that's quite a story. Must have been a gruelling 17 months and with no ZS! What are the 3 reasons they gave for faulting the garage? I can't see a cam belt failing so soon after being fitted unless something was fitted wrong, even if it was a cheapo belt.

Interestingly, over here when I needed a head-gasket changed, the garage I went to didn't want (or didn't know how?) to source the parts. They specifically asked me to get my own parts and as long as they were genuine MGR, would guarantee the work. Still charged a bomb and bet I'd have the same battle if something did go wrong.

Glad you have your pride and joy back
pheelay is offline   Reply With Quote