theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 02-02-14, 07:16 PM   #31
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
Considering the zs body shell is a 20 year old design with a few face lifts it is hardly surprising that in some respects it looks dated.

The same applies to the power train, it is pretty much unchanged since 2001.

My opinion you buy a zs for what it is, warts and all.

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-14, 07:18 PM   #32
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven11 View Post
.....I didn't realise how noisy, thirsty, and uncomfortably my Mk2 180 was. The main problem is it's underpowered for the size of the engine. My 2.0 Tdi feels every bit as fast if not faster and im getting 65 MPG now. Its Amazing how quiet the cabin is compared to the Zed, and because the car is put together better the Ban & Olufsen sound system sounds awesome......
This...

I brought the wife's beemer to work today. It's got their least powerful engine - but it feels strong. It's an auto and I'm getting old. It has leather and all the toys and looks awesome in my opinion. Feels so well put together and is a far far far better car for me to commute in when the route is 21 miles each way with 18 of those being dual carriageway and motorway, the rest built up urban - I want one for myself.

But ...

I also want to tinker on my days off. You all know that I'm no mechanic, but I've messed about with my silver mk2 and will continue to make it even more unique. And - I want to stand out a little from the crowd. I don't want to go with the flow all the time - I want to make waves every now and then. I want to boot it away from the lights every now and then. I like that in the mornings I know that when I'm stuck in traffic, the guys in their suits and company cars are looking at mine thinking "that sounds nice" - or "what's that ?" (Although most are probably thinking "How sad is that old guy in his old Rover - probably break down in a minute" )

I guess I'm really lucky to have a young BMW - and the Zed. I am and I know it.

My Zed is 10 years old this year and is beginning to creak and groan.....but she still roars when pushed.
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-14, 07:49 PM   #33
Steven11

Steven11 has a spectacular aura aboutSteven11 has a spectacular aura about
But if you had to get rid of one tomorrow which would it be ?
Steven11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-14, 07:59 PM   #34
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
I think it is safe to say that a number of us are somewhat smitten with the ZS and we probably couldn't put our finger on every reason why when there are many better options out there. I can also see a shift to it being a classic car, in that I mean an older car enjoyed by enthusiasts and kept alive by enthusiasts, not necessarily a car that is seen as sought after, not yet anyway.

For those that have moved on to better things that is normal, you mature, you age and you develop different tastes. I'm happy with the Vectra, I did want a Insignia but that was out of my budget. Saying that the Vectra is nice, quick and cruises, full leather, heated seats, built in satnav, 6 speed box and on the 70 mile a day commute I average 45 mpg but get mid to high 50s on a run.

I wouldn't mind a newish Audi, but for that to happen I would have to sell the ZS and not run too many cars but I could not part with the ZS. It is my escape and because I have sort of built it I feel too attached to it, daft I know but I get a kick out of this dated car
Old 02-02-14, 08:01 PM   #35
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven11 View Post
But if you had to get rid of one tomorrow which would it be ?
If that were me then I will have to admit it will be the ZS, purely because I need an estate for the everyday car and an economical one for the 70 mile a day commute.

But I hope it doesn't come to that!
Old 02-02-14, 08:08 PM   #36
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
Wonder what a 2012 spec zs might have looked like ?.

Old 02-02-14, 08:52 PM   #37
BUCKYDEVIL

BUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by petet16 View Post
Wonder what a 2012 spec zs might have looked like ?.
Electic windows as standard and a drain plug in boot
BUCKYDEVIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-14, 08:56 PM   #38
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

I was thinking more along the lines of 3.0 forced induction v6, 6 speed box, drain plug in the boot, reliable climate control.

Old 02-02-14, 09:10 PM   #39
Greatmg!

Greatmg! is on a distinguished road
As a recent convert to the ZS, I can safely say it has got under my skin. Its hard to say exactly why, but there is something about not having all those electronic driver aids, a big heavy, soundproof box around you, which ultimately makes me feel much more connected to the car.

My daily driver accelerates faster, stops quicker, has every gadget you can think of and grips in the wet as strongly as it does in the dry. Which car do I prefer? ZS every time!
Greatmg! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-14, 09:34 PM   #40
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
It's funny - i get teased by my family all the time about the ZS - imagine what you could have bought if you had not spent the money on the ZS... (I have had a hankering for something japanese - late 90/00's era for most my life)

Just think how many more miles you would have done if it wasn't off the road all the time...

Yet, popped the picture on FB of the brakes and it lowered, and the first thing my sister said to me was - we (my sister and her husband) were just saying how good your car looks.

If I had to sell one of my cars, it would the Fester in a heartbeat. I'd get more money for it for starters, and while mine might be a 'dirty old tractor' without such an appealing soundtrack as the V6, it has a noise all of it's own that I would miss - the squeaks, the rattles, (the occasional rubbing of the arch liner lol) the rubbish speakers, the 6th sense pothole avoidance that develops; are all things that give it character.

I often get in much newer cars, either taxis or hire cars, or family vehicles, and while they might look nicer inside, and have more toys, none of them 'feel' as nice to be in. so much more sterile and characterless visually inside and out....

my mum's mk1 TT - is faster, quieter, more refined - but just so dull to drive in comparison. My dad's E-class gives both me and my mum serious back ache or numb bums after a few hours in the car as passengers (regardless where/what we try to do with the fully adjustable seats).

Yes the design is old, and yes inside you cannot say it is anything but dated - but as others have said, it is that wow factor, it is not like other cars of it's age; and due to modern safety standards there is not likely to be anything that looks like it built in the near future...

My dad told me the day I bought it - "I think that will become a modern classic, she looks really quite special"
Dieselpowered
Fitting Custom Hybrid Turbo (1856GTBv) & controller; Remap, swirlpot, lift pump
AMW Motorsports
Custom exhaust manifold & downpipe
p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote