theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 28-04-08, 05:15 AM   #41
Maxxed_Ross
Events Organiser-Scotland

Maxxed_Ross has a spectacular aura aboutMaxxed_Ross has a spectacular aura about
I totally agree with the above. In my experience, all be it a limited one, older drivers are just as dangerous as those just out of the test centre - if not more dangerous. My mother for one is such a bad driver I refuse to get in the car with her unless I have no other option. She never uses any mirrors, cant look over her shoulder because she has a bad neck and rarely goes over 35 on national limit roads. IMO that is more dangerous.

I have always said that you should have to re-sit a test of sorts after a period of time to prove you can still drive. Just look at how often old coffin dodgers are on the news and in the papers for doing something crazy because of a senior moment? As Jeremy Clarkson once put it - "when was the last time you heard of a 17 year old driving the wrong way down the motorway?"

www.facebook.com/EX259

"It's not broken, it's an opportunity to upgrade!"
Maxxed_Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-08, 07:27 AM   #42
Jem

Jem is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_russell View Post
im gobsmacked at the amount of people in here that havent broken the speed limit either this site has the most advanced drivers in the uk or too many people are telling porkies. .

Of course people have broke the speed limit i even have done in the past,I even got a speeding ticket so that is why i now never break the speed limit,yes i might goe over 60 but its only just over 60 but i hardly ever do it

70 limit i never ever ever go over 70 and thats a truth i sit on 70,there is no need to lie

Ok then i go 50 to save my fuel and that is how i learnt when i was driving i know things have changed when it comes to tests,But i will keep my speed because i feel 50 would not cause any other drivers problems and those that might overtake could be breaking the limit

As for the police: All i can say is around here and where ever ive driven they have never pulled me over doing 50

Im going pass my local police station today so im going to ask them what they think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me View Post
How can I be so thirsty in the morning, when I drank so much last night?:
Jem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-08, 08:45 AM   #43
arwilson80
Founding Members

arwilson80 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_roverMG View Post
...and the skid pan course are a must in my opinion.
I think that that should be included as well. Even if only a 30 minute session. However it's easy to correct when you see it coming, it's when you don't that the problem arises.

"People in cars cause accidents. Accidents in cars cause people. Drive only with proper protection."
"You should try one. It's bloody good" - Jeremy Clarkson (commenting after driving a ZS180)
"Fines are a tax for doing bad, Taxes are a fine for doing good" - Unknown
GPS - Because guys don't know how to ask directions

MG ZS 180
3.5L V6 Ford Taurus
2.7L V6 EcoBoost Ford F150 4x4
arwilson80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-08, 09:38 AM   #44
Andyf

Andyf is on a distinguished road
DJ, of course I would be lying to say I never speed however I rarely speed and in a posted limit I virtually never speed. However while at work I sometimes travel at over twice the speed limit (from 30 to 70 limits) and in order to do this I have completed a total of 8 weeks driving training (2 weeks to drive a panda car (1.7 turbo diesel Astra) followed by 1 week response driving (blues and twos) in a panda then 4 weeks advanced driving course in high performance cars (Vectra 3.2, Mondeo ST220 and a Saab 95) followed by 1 week of pursuit management learning TPAC). Add to that the 2 1/2 years experience I now have of driving traffic cars operationally and 3 years driving pandas before that. I think on the odd occassion I go 35 in a 30 or 80 on the motorway I do so more safely than your average driver. It is true that speed on it's own doesn't kill but people do not perceive hazards correctly and are then travelling to fast to react to them.
I think back to how I used to drive when I passed my test and it is amazing I didn't have an accident. I also thought I was a resonable driver until I did my course and then saw how poor my observation and hazard perception were.
Old 28-04-08, 05:45 PM   #45
Maxfly
Site Ambassador

Maxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by les.millar View Post
options on a sunday

1/ wash & clean car to high standard

2/ watch the wife go round asda like a cow meanders round a field
i think ive seen this quote before
perhaps maxfly could enlighten me
can't remember where i seen it or who originally posted it now, but i do know i liked it and even though i don't have a wife i had tae have it
Old 28-04-08, 05:53 PM   #46
dj_russell

dj_russell is on a distinguished road
id love to take a few advanced driving courses as i love driving. how hard was it becomming a traffic officer was it years of hard training? thats my offput as i really need the cash and couldnt afford to not get paid , but as a whole i really really love driving ever since i passed ive done all nighters driving round untill i feel tired lol. some may say its sad to go cruising about but i dont drink, dont take drugs and dont smoke. i cant sleep either untill ive had a quick drive or a lap through town and back.
Old 28-04-08, 08:03 PM   #47
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
To becaome a traffic cop you have to join the police force as a booby, and unless it has changed, do your 2 years on the beat before applying to go into traffic where they train you on the job.

Alternativly you can join ROSPA or the Institute Of Advanced Motorists and do their training courses. Driving at the higher levels of awearness they teach you is so much more rewarding than driving at 50 mph in a 60 limit in case there is a speed camera.
Old 28-04-08, 08:11 PM   #48
les.millar

les.millar is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by les.millar
options on a sunday

1/ wash & clean car to high standard

2/ watch the wife go round asda like a cow meanders round a field
i think ive seen this quote before
perhaps maxfly could enlighten me

can't remember where i seen it or who originally posted it now, but i do know i liked it and even though i don't have a wife i had tae have it

i posted it originally.
give me your address and ill send you an invoice
les.millar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-08, 08:18 PM   #49
al_roverMG
Site Supporter

al_roverMG is on a distinguished road
Andy while i agree with what you said there it isn't exclusive to Police drivers and there are both good and bad police drivers. I have taken very similar qualification, granted at a civvy level, and i would also say that most HGV/PSV drivers of a decent standard have a much more accute awareness of hazzards than most car drivers. I only drove an HGv for a very short period (to tie me over between leaving my sea going job and starting at the Coastguard) but it was alarming the number of car drivers who simply dont have a clue what room an HGV needs or indeed simply wouldn't give way when they clearly had to.

The trouble is as i said before many drivers rest on the fact the passed the MINIMUM standard and dont then keep themselves up to date. I would never dream of thinking i dont need to keep my knowledge and standards up to date but i know the vast majority do.
Old 28-04-08, 08:38 PM   #50
dj_russell

dj_russell is on a distinguished road
i listen to my dad lol he said you never stop learning nomatter how many years youve been on the road. hes a bloody good driver aswell he always ceased to amaze me as a kid wehen i was young in his 405 mi16 and rover 800 vitese turbo hatch and maiestro turbo etc, hes never took an advanced drivers course or anything but with 30 years or a bit less of doing about a 1000k a week with his job , ive always been taught drive like everyone else is goiing to make a mistake on the road.