AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 06-10-16, 08:48 PM   #41
JOHNDQ

JOHNDQ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcb 180 View Post
Can't get a nice Evo for £1700 though. Plus servicing. Ooooooooh!

The temp of the fan that they blow air in was wrong I believe? Still 317bhp was nice as we were only hoping to break 300
No unfortunately not need a another clutch for mine just the parts/ fluids are almost £1200
JOHNDQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-16, 03:56 PM   #42
dave23572

dave23572 is on a distinguished road
I'm thinking of getting 270 cams also and have been speaking to Peter Burchill on Facebook about it.
He says it's best to fit 270 cams with standard 180 pulleys and cam timing on a road car.
Anyway, Peter would be a good person to contact about 270 cams.

As a reference for you, my 180 dyno'd at 195BHP (corrected).
Spec was: standard 180 heads/cams. ITG Maxogen, Janspeed manifolds, Janspeed sports cat and custom built "Longlife" stainless exhaust.
Rolling road and remap was done at "AMD" in Thurrock, Essex. (They run a BTCC car!)

I'm about to upgrade to ported heads with 270 cams.

It's a shame you live so far from me, as I have a VIS tester.
I'm near Chelmsford, Essex.
dave23572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-16, 04:17 PM   #43
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
sounds a good result.
Old 20-10-16, 05:29 PM   #44
Skillen

Skillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the rough
Got the vis changed over thanks to Pete.
It's now clear that the balance was playing up.
Not sure on the power but I'm going to try and get it back on the rollers again Maybe tomorrow at the same place to see if there is a difference.

I should probably check the timing at some point but it's not something I've done before.

Mark, you were saying about running without a mil eliminator I just wanted to clear up whether I should get one or not.
I know you mentioned getting a sports cat and I will at some point but currently it's off the cards so want to help this out as much as I can.

That is a good result Dave I'm gutted mines nowhere near that.

If the timing is way out I'll be taking it to that place you mentioned mark to see if they can time them in with the gauges.
Skillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-16, 05:49 PM   #45
dave23572

dave23572 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skillen View Post
Got the vis changed over thanks to Pete.
It's now clear that the balance was playing up.
Not sure on the power but I'm going to try and get it back on the rollers again Maybe tomorrow at the same place to see if there is a difference.

I should probably check the timing at some point but it's not something I've done before.

Mark, you were saying about running without a mil eliminator I just wanted to clear up whether I should get one or not.
I know you mentioned getting a sports cat and I will at some point but currently it's off the cards so want to help this out as much as I can.

That is a good result Dave I'm gutted mines nowhere near that.

If the timing is way out I'll be taking it to that place you mentioned mark to see if they can time them in with the gauges.

Don't be gutted, yours should be more powerful than mine, and should be well over 200BHP when you get the problem sorted.
There's obviously something not quite right, which should be addressable.
It's worth persevering given the money you've probably spent.
As I said, Peter Burchill (can be found on Facebook in the "MG ZS Owners Club" group) is an authority on 270 cams (he sells them).
He recommended standard "180" cam timing for a road car.
dave23572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-16, 06:45 PM   #46
Skillen

Skillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave23572 View Post
Don't be gutted, yours should be more powerful than mine, and should be well over 200BHP when you get the problem sorted.
There's obviously something not quite right, which should be addressable.
It's worth persevering given the money you've probably spent.
As I said, Peter Burchill (can be found on Facebook in the "MG ZS Owners Club" group) is an authority on 270 cams (he sells them).
He recommended standard "180" cam timing for a road car.
I hope it gets to that point and some lol.
Fingers crossed the VIS has helped and the timing isn't out as I don't want it to be a job like a belt change 😂
Old 20-10-16, 07:45 PM   #47
Mark S

Mark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to all
i wouldn't use a mil eliminator, if running without one throws the engine check light, instal a high flow cat, they can be bought for less than a ton.

i don't think your can timing is out enough to cause noticeable issues, i think you'll have found the answers in the vis.
the whole cam timing thing is very complex if your purely after out and out acceleration, i don't think i recommended anyone for timing, rather just using the gauges as an illustration of how the pro's time up an engine.
blink motorsport would make an insteresting hub dyno session, especially as there is comparable zs data there already.
i don't buy into a lot of these dyno quoted numbers people band around, some dynos overread by quite a margin, 17% for a certain well known engine tuners dyno!!! don't get drawn into the numbers game, a simple time to accelerate from x to y is more meaningful on a dyno than bs numbers, but blink would give you great comparisons.

as for 270's, they can be made to work well if setup with verniers, i have not seen anyone yet do it right, and don't be fooled into thinking piper have much idea on where the timing should be!!! with that in mind, and for the small differences between rover stock timing and pipers, you may as well just leave it be as pete says, personally i'd leave the engine alone and fit a 4.2final drive instead
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-16, 08:31 PM   #48
Skillen

Ok I'll leave the mil for now thanks, I'll put some money aside for a sports cat.

No you didn't recommend a place but they have some decent looking reviews when I looked after you mentioned them for the dyno don't worry about the recommendation 👍🏻

I quite fancy having the timing set up properly with the verniers, it'd be a nice change, if it doesn't work out I'll keep trying

I'll try the same set of rollers and then get to the hub dyno as soon as for the comparison, as you say it will be good find out.

I've seen your posts about the gearbox thing maybe something to look at later.
I have a type b and a lighter flywheel yet to go on too.
Old 20-10-16, 09:29 PM   #49
Drew

Drew has a spectacular aura aboutDrew has a spectacular aura about
I used an mil eliminator in my zs without any noticeable issues.

Sent from Drew @ Roverdose
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-16, 08:38 AM   #50
Mark S

Mark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skillen View Post
I've seen your posts about the gearbox thing maybe something to look at later.
I have a type b and a lighter flywheel yet to go on too.
Its so overlooked, I think most get scared about more revs equals more noise and less fuel economy.

But think about it, you can drive at 70mph with 30% throttle and plenty of induction noise, or you can drive at 70mph with 10% throttle and minimal induction noise, which is quieter?
Granted, the former is at 3200rpm and the latter around 3700rpm, but at those revs there is no noticeable difference in purely engine noise.

I never noticed any decrease in fuel economy.

In a similar way, an Integra Type R is a revving car, its almost unbearable at 70mph revving away at 4300rpm or so, but drive it at 100mph and its actually really pleasant, and quieter!

The box will put a smile on your face like no other 'mod' will.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote