theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Galleries > Members Cars

Old 02-10-11, 12:16 AM   #41
pheelay

pheelay is a jewel in the roughpheelay is a jewel in the roughpheelay is a jewel in the rough
Well, it's been a busy day. Built my VIS indicators and installed them. That's when the fun started. The LEDs weren't showing either motor to be working properly! I guessed it was a problem with my indicators given that I'd changed the circuit a bit to use tri-colour LEDs. Spent a whole chunk of time playing wire bingo on the vis circuits but got nowhere.

Eventually, I pulled out the power motor out to have a play with it. I built a little VIS motor tester (found on another thread/forum) and you'll never guess...the motor was broke.

Took it apart and found it was a loose connection or dry joint on the PCB where the little relay is mounted. An intermittant fault. Resoldered and put it all back together and now the indicators on that motor report it opening/closing properly.

But I'm getting nothing at all from the butterfly motor. I'll try testing that one tomorrow. Getting it out with the brake master cylinder in the way looks difficult...

The other thing that was surprising was the oil I could see inside the plenum when the power motor was removed. There was a little pool at the bottom. Been there perhaps since before catch tank was fitted? I can't see how oil could be getting in there now??

Anyways, back at it tomorrow..after Ireland-Italy of course
pheelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-11, 10:42 AM   #42
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Is that the phillips screw at the back, that you say will give you trouble??

Read on here that a lot of the guys use a mole grip to hold a screw bit in so you can come in at at right angle.

If its not that forget this!!!!!

Best of luck with it, least the VIS indicator worked, even if it did show you it was buggered!!!
Old 02-10-11, 10:47 AM   #43
pheelay

pheelay is a jewel in the roughpheelay is a jewel in the roughpheelay is a jewel in the rough
I got that screw out using a flat bladed screwdriver at a crazy angle. Can't get the motor out though with master cylinder in the way.

Yep, a least it showed a problem! Seems these motors should changed on the yearly service!
Old 02-10-11, 10:50 AM   #44
KevG
2007 Focus ST2

KevG is just really niceKevG is just really niceKevG is just really niceKevG is just really niceKevG is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheelay View Post
I got that screw out using a flat bladed screwdriver at a crazy angle. Can't get the motor out though with master cylinder in the way.

Yep, a least it showed a problem! Seems these motors should changed on the yearly service!
You can get the motor out, just separate it from the butterfly then remove

KevG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-11, 09:12 PM   #45
pheelay

VIS and indicators problems solved.

I had tapped a wrong wire in the engine bay for the balance motor and also the motor was latching in the open position with the indicators connected. Increased the resistors (needed 10kΩ!) and all's good. The balance motor itself was working fine and power motor is now fixed
Old 08-10-11, 12:19 PM   #46
Danny Coleman

Danny Coleman is on a distinguished road
Its starnge the motors haven't lasted very long, I bought them both new from, I think Browns? Can not remember now, in the time I had the car July 10, i fitted the catch tank then and in the milage I did there was never anything on the sight tube on the side of the tank, there is a breather on the tank and this was piped away down and under the car. Apart from the tank, exhaust fitment and HID head light kit I didnt do any more mods to it, didnt think it needed it. I just got rid of the horrid yellow steering wheel and chrome gear knob. changed all the belts, new thermosat housing and pipe work. I know Kai did some stuff to it like putting a hole in the rad and I think fitted a de-cat.
Danny Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-11, 12:37 PM   #47
pheelay

Hey Danny,
Good to hear from you. How are you keeping?
Yep, I knew from your specs list that the motors were quite new. I read of cases of new motors having faults on delivery! Who knows. All fixed now anyway. Agree, the car needs no more mods. Just a sheddist clutch kit and rear bumper is sagging a little. I will probaby remove the de-cat eventually, as it's a bit too loud.

Cooling system is working fine so a good service now and should be all set.
Old 08-10-11, 07:43 PM   #48
Danny Coleman

Danny Coleman is on a distinguished road
You got it in the end then!
Danny Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-11, 10:52 AM   #49
pheelay

Getting ready for the yearly winter Snowmageddon ... picked up some hairpins to fit winter tyres. A round trip to Amiens on the back roads to collect them. 160?, never used. Delighted.

Also have a set of LHD headlights waiting to be fitted.

Sheddist kit should be on the way tomorrow
Old 04-11-11, 01:41 PM   #50
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Look a great buy, lucky to find them.

Hope we dont get snow, we live on a hill and unless we can park on the flat, down the hill, we forget the car!!!!!!