theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 29-04-08, 11:44 AM   #51
Andyf

Andyf is on a distinguished road
Al, you are right it is not exclusive to police drivers, I have nothing but respect for HGV drivers and often try to use them when doing 'rolling blocks' on the motorway as they have the sense to know what is going on and don't try and overtake you!
There are good and bad police drivers just as there as good and bad HGV drivers however I bet the bad drivers are still better than your average car driver.
DJ Russell to get on traffic you have to do 2 years probation on area before applying then if you pass the written application you have to pass a board in front of a Sergeant an Inspector and someone from personnel then if you pass that you have to pass the 5 week driving course.
Old 29-04-08, 05:30 PM   #52
Maxfly
Site Ambassador

Maxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by les.millar View Post
Originally Posted by les.millar
options on a sunday

1/ wash & clean car to high standard

2/ watch the wife go round asda like a cow meanders round a field
i think ive seen this quote before
perhaps maxfly could enlighten me

can't remember where i seen it or who originally posted it now, but i do know i liked it and even though i don't have a wife i had tae have it

i posted it originally.
give me your address and ill send you an invoice
ah ha i did wonder lol

unfortunately i have no fixed abode for you to send the bill to
Old 29-04-08, 06:24 PM   #53
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
I had to laugh the other day ... comedian commenting on the "keep 2 chevrons between you and the next vehicle" markers. He said, "Nearly bloody killed myself trying to keep up with a porsche ! "

Speeding is a massive issue which we won't resolve, but what a great forum topic, but already there are some camps being identified. There's the "Limits are there for a reason and the laws the law" camp ; The "I've been affected by speeding motorists" camp ; The "I'm a trained driver so I'm better than thow" camp ; but gladly, as far as I've seen anyway, no-one stepping up for the "I drive like a tw4t at every opportunity "camp.

Driving courses are great, I've not done any civvy ones, but the ones the police do, in my force anyway, are tip-top. (Of course I would say that). In all, I've done 6 weeks of car and personnel carrier driving training and 3 weeks motorcycle training to do traffic and surveillance. They do make you far more aware of whats going on. Trouble is that I see it a lot like doing a firearms course. You can be trained how to drive safely and make good progress, but when the red mist comes down and your mate is getting a hiding, it's goes to pot. In a pursuit, you see the bandit, and lose sight sometimes of the carnage being caused and that is where as a supervisor I have to make unpopular decisions sometimes, and step in to call off the chase. It's all getting too dangerous and fast these days. For me the other point about police drivers, is that , in my force area, we don't do refreshers or re-training. This means that someone may have become an advanced driver 15-20 yrs ago, being assessed in a rear wheel drive, Rover Sd1 or Sierra, who are now punting around in 3.0l BMW's, T5's, or Subaru's. Don't get that really TBH.

Anyway .... me in a 60 .... road is clear and I can stop within the distance I can see to be clear .... fast.
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-08, 07:24 PM   #54
dave87

dave87 is on a distinguished road
there is one thing i learnt quite soon after i passed my test. Raw speed is not exciting(on the road anyway) its the acceleration that gives you the buzz. So you can still have a ball in your car but stay within the law.
dave87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-08, 08:53 PM   #55
Maxxed_Ross
Events Organiser-Scotland

Maxxed_Ross has a spectacular aura aboutMaxxed_Ross has a spectacular aura about
try saying that again at 140+

www.facebook.com/EX259

"It's not broken, it's an opportunity to upgrade!"
Maxxed_Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-08, 09:10 PM   #56
dave87

hence the "on the road" clause in my arguement
Old 29-04-08, 10:15 PM   #57
Maxxed_Ross
Events Organiser-Scotland

Maxxed_Ross has a spectacular aura aboutMaxxed_Ross has a spectacular aura about
well you're hardly going to do it on water are you

www.facebook.com/EX259

"It's not broken, it's an opportunity to upgrade!"
Maxxed_Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-08, 11:27 PM   #58
dave87

am sure jem clarkson had a go once though
Old 30-04-08, 05:10 PM   #59
Andyf

Andyf is on a distinguished road
We do refresher drives in our force Dan (or should that be Sir?!) every 3 years although this is quite a new thing. My old Sergeant who retired late last year last did a driving course in a Rover SD1!
Old 30-04-08, 08:03 PM   #60
Mission

Mission is on a distinguished road
Generally if the road & conditions permit it- i tend to drive at or very near to the limit for that road- I personally find it very annoying when your on a stretch of road where you can easily do the speed limit without risk n you get folks who dither n won't put there foot down!

ok i accept that on some roads marked with national speed limit signs- it would be/is foolish to even think about doing 60mph, but i don't see why you can't if your on a good bit o road-with good visibility- in good weather! That to me would be as daft as someone who goes on the m/way and never goes above 50/60mph!
Mission is offline   Reply With Quote