theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 17-09-13, 01:40 PM   #51
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Yep, coming on well.

Old 17-09-13, 10:14 PM   #52
andys1981

andys1981 is a jewel in the roughandys1981 is a jewel in the roughandys1981 is a jewel in the rough
your doing very well with this project,i like your dedication,well done
andys1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-13, 03:44 PM   #53
Malteser

Malteser is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the comments so far guys! I like how it's coming along as well and for this being the first time for me doing most of this stuff that I have done, I think it is coming along very well.

I have just cleaned the excess sealer along the back and I think I will leave it as is. Also I looked at the prices here in Malta for paint vs. powder coating and the difference is huge! Paint would be about 120 Euro and powder coating would come to 275 Euro! I think just on budget restrictions, I'm going with paint.

Will hopefully start rubbing everything down soon and then on to hard metal to flush the kit into the body so when painted, will look as part of the body and not something attached.
Malteser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-13, 05:40 PM   #54
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Like everything else its all in the preparation, paint has a habit of showing up all the little marks.

Sure you will do a great job, after following all your hard work.

Old 29-09-13, 06:11 PM   #55
Malteser

Well I haven't been able to work in the garage due to family not in the best of health so the car had to take a bit of a back seat for a bit.

Fortunately though, today I had a few hours to give her a go. So I did.

Today I removed all the interior trim and the roof lining, changed the rear hatch, fitted the extreme hatch spoiler, cleaned up a little rust here and there, removed the antenna on top of the roof, removed the washer jets from the roof and bonnet, rerouted the washers from the bonnet to the now new washers attached to the wiper arms.

Next will be body filler around the entire kit, welding shut the holes from the pieces removed today, and changing the pipes for the washers to refresh them a bit and reroute the one for the rear wiper.

Then engine work to replace a bent connecting rod in the engine but at the same time will replace the inner and outer tie rods (will use this as an excuse to uprate some other things that I can in there at the same time ), brake servo and master cylinder, battery relocation, new intake system, and rear power windows. Once all the work is done, then I will take it to paint.

So now for some pics. The body will look the same (minus the removed antenna and washers). The colour will stay anthracite I decided and the rims will be resprayed the same colour that they are (silver sparkle I believe). What do you guys think?

Old 29-09-13, 06:42 PM   #56
peterzs
promoted bloke!

Smile

Wouldnt white keep it cooler, always taught at school that black absorbes the heat and white reflects.

Will look good when its all sprayed up, whatever colour, silver sparkle is my wheel colour, apart from where they are all bashed up!!!

Old 18-02-14, 10:19 PM   #57
Malteser

Hey everyone!

Just realized how long it has been since I have updated this post! Well a lot has changed since this last post so here goes.

After I stripped most of it out from the inside I could get started on the outside. Here is how it was before I started:

And now comes the filler. My goal is to fill in where the 180 kit is attached so when painted it will look like one piece and won’t have that bolt on look. I also started filling in the door strips because I would like it to be nice and smooth and I have removed the antenna, rear washer, and windscreen washers.

Then I decided that before I continued on, I should pull out the engine to get at that bent connecting rod.

While the engine was out I replaced:
- Bent connecting rod
- Gaskets
- Inner and outer tie rods
- Brake servo
- Master brake cylinder
- Leaking power steering
- Timing belt
- Coolant refresh

Now onto some more progress pictures!!!

Here you can see that I switched the rims to the old ones again because the 11 spokes are off to be refurbished. I have also closed up the antenna, rear washer and windscreen washer holes and also the roof runners where the rubber strips should be. I also had to cut out all the filler I put on the doors because it just wasn’t coming right with the plastic in there so took that all out and re filled properly on the metal itself.

Now in the back I still have some decision making to do. I am not sure how to put my battery/sub/amps setup. I am relocating the battery to the back to make space for my enclosed intake canister so that will be mounted either in the spare wheel well or on the side. The sub will be in the spot where the battery isn’t and then the amps would be mounted on the sides as well. I don’t want anything mounted to the seats because if I need to move them or lay something on them, I don’t want to have to worry about it.
What do you guys think?

And yes, that is a rear strut brace from the Dark Ice Designs group buy. Also have the front one fitted as well!
And these are the final pictures as it stands right now at the painters completely gutted and stripped.

So what do you guys think of the progress so far?
Old 18-02-14, 11:02 PM   #58
daytona365

daytona365 is a jewel in the roughdaytona365 is a jewel in the roughdaytona365 is a jewel in the rough
Think you doing a really GREAT job, cant wait to see the end result.......
daytona365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-14, 06:45 AM   #59
Malteser

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytona365 View Post
Think you doing a really GREAT job, cant wait to see the end result.......
Thanks! Neither can I!
Old 19-02-14, 07:50 AM   #60
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
That's looking good, what colour will it be?.

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote