theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 11-02-10, 10:09 PM   #21
Maxfly
Site Ambassador

Maxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by l11ke View Post
There seems like therea alot of problems with the zs!
na, no more than any other car tbh just that it's always good to point out what to look for, whatever it is
Old 11-02-10, 10:12 PM   #22
Ritchy
technically an expertish

Ritchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to all
i could list just as many faults if not more with the zr, or any other car to that matter, just worthwhile to point out absolutly everything
Old 11-02-10, 10:13 PM   #23
l11ke

l11ke is on a distinguished road
ok thanks guys, what sort of price should i expect to pay for a mk2?
l11ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-10, 10:14 PM   #24
Ritchy
technically an expertish

Ritchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to all
generally no more than £3000, but if you got an absolutly mint one a couple of hundred over that
Old 12-02-10, 07:55 AM   #25
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritchyp View Post
the 180 has the vis problem, and the rattly plenums, the leaking thermostat and the expensive belts change,
Vis motors can be repaired by yourself or my old man can repair them for beer tokens.

You can get a brand new plenum off the 'bay for £450 which includes both vis motors, or a second hand one for circa £200 from a breaker.

Belt change is £350 from stamford's recommended mobile mechanic and so now compares favourably to the 4 cylinder cars. Mk 2's are getting near the 6yr - 90K mile recommended change so factor in that expense if/when you're looking to give some leverage on price.

Door handles. When you open the door - a common fault will show where the handle surround comes away from the actual door slightly. Again - there is a fix - but another leverage area - or a fix from a dealer before you take it away.

Tax is £215 so long as the car is registered pre-March 2006 - so anything up to an "06" or "56" plate.

The 180 is a truly awesome under-rated car. The tuning potential is not as great as perhaps something with a turbo, but a few mods around induction - exhaust and decat will get you to around 190-195, so long as everything else works properly. Add a remap as Stamford had done - 200+ .

Don't know how old you are mate so insurance can put some off - I'm 39 and pay £280 fully comp protected with business use.

Car does 30 mpg on a run - but can drop to under 20 if you listen to the V6 go through the motions as it was meant.

Every car has it's issues. But we've all got one - And - you'll love it. If you can afford it - go large - 180 all day long - but for the looks and less running costs - I can't imagine there being a lot between the 110 and 120 performance wise , but make sure that you get one with the full 180 kit - bodykit and 11 spoke alloys. If you do some mileage - Don't forget about the diesel. A few on here running well and probably more tuning potential !

You'll also still have access to loads of knowledge on these cars via this and all of the other related sites ... so go for it.

Last edited by Dan1971; 12-02-10 at 08:09 AM.
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-10, 08:14 AM   #26
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Excellent post Dan!

Not much more to add. I would suggest you hook up with a few members local to you to get a feel for what's on offer, 120, 180, TD, mk1 and mk2.

Budget will play a big part in your decision, if you have around £3k plus to spend then you are made.
Old 12-02-10, 09:05 AM   #27
Zippy Saloon

Hasn't the 1.6 got a ford based gearbox that isn't as good as the PG1 fitted to the 1.8? Or am I thinking of the 1.4?
Old 12-02-10, 10:30 AM   #28
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
i think in the Zs they only fitted the PG1, it was the 25\ZR they used the IB5 jobber...

but i might be wrong
Dieselpowered
Fitting Custom Hybrid Turbo (1856GTBv) & controller; Remap, swirlpot, lift pump
AMW Motorsports
Custom exhaust manifold & downpipe
p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-10, 12:17 PM   #29
starfire039

starfire039 is on a distinguished road
You are more than welcome to come and have a look at mine Luke, she is for sale but is a mark 1, 120 on a 53 plate, if you're not interested in it then it doesn't matter but if you just want to check out a ZS and see what it's like I'd be happy to show you. They are very underated.
  • Replace/fix rattly mirror
  • Mark 2 dashboard
  • Catch tank
  • New VIS motors
  • Fit bucket seats
  • Induction kit
  • New spark plugs + oil change
  • New exhaust
  • Decat
  • Fix drivers seat mounting hole
  • Reidy Remap

starfire039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-10, 01:57 PM   #30
dvid

dvid is on a distinguished road
Black Mk2 180... Simples
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4862502_in_502.jpg (35.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg SP_A0122.jpg (35.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg SP_A0123.jpg (66.8 KB, 9 views)

Gone but not forgotten - The best / cleanest / newest car i've owned
dvid is offline   Reply With Quote