theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 03-08-10, 07:44 AM   #11
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
I should've kept my Mk1 ...... Never mind though.
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-10, 07:52 AM   #12
Simon's ZS-120

Simon's ZS-120 is on a distinguished road
as soon as mine is back from the garage im going to sell it as im soon to be 25 and my sp50 is now gone from my lisence so means i can get a much more powerfull car

The MG ZS MK2 120 In X-Power Grey
Simon's ZS-120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-10, 11:20 AM   #13
Maxxed_Ross
Events Organiser-Scotland

Maxxed_Ross has a spectacular aura aboutMaxxed_Ross has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen290 View Post
dont regret getting rid of mine..
I miss mine some times, but don't regret selling it. It wasn't what I wanted and would be too expensive to get it to where I wanted it to be.

On the plus note, I knew that MG's handled well so have built 2 track cars out of them

www.facebook.com/EX259

"It's not broken, it's an opportunity to upgrade!"
Maxxed_Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-10, 12:29 PM   #14
nath86

nath86 is on a distinguished road
Haha im on my 3rd now but having vis issues is putting a serious downer on her atm and iv been looking else where again , but hopefully iv fixed the vis issue today just waiting to go test drive her. Lets put it this way iv had 50 odd cars over the short period iv had a license and the zs is up there with my old wrx for funfactor, but as craig has said its an all rounder which is why im back in one again
nath86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-10, 07:35 PM   #15
benedwards64

benedwards64 is on a distinguished road
If I'm honest, I'm considering selling my 180...

Not for the fuel costs, but because that power through the front wheels is starting to get annoying! I miss RWD, and I miss turbos
benedwards64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-10, 09:14 PM   #16
will-w

will-w is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen290 View Post
dont regret getting rid of mine..
Ditto!

The ZS was the most unreliable and poorly built cars that I have owned, and I'm now on my 10th..

It's a bit much when a 18 year old Honda is an all round better car than a 5 year old MG!

Derv power baby!

will-w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-10, 09:13 AM   #17
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by will-w View Post
Ditto!

The ZS was the most unreliable and poorly built cars that I have owned, and I'm now on my 10th..

It's a bit much when a 18 year old Honda is an all round better car than a 5 year old MG!

Bit harsh perhaps Will .... You mention an old Honda being a better all-round car. What are you comparing ?

10 cars is nothing mate and loads of factors contribute to whether yours has been a good one or not.

Over the past 2 years - amongst other cars, I've owned 3 ZSs - all 180s - and not had a reliability issue with any of them. We all look for different things in our cars pal. What I looked for in mine was smiles per mile and I got plenty.

Your sig indicates that you were a miles per gallon man - and it also looks like you got plenty too.
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-10, 10:03 AM   #18
will-w

will-w is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1971 View Post
Bit harsh perhaps Will .... You mention an old Honda being a better all-round car. What are you comparing ?

10 cars is nothing mate and loads of factors contribute to whether yours has been a good one or not.

Over the past 2 years - amongst other cars, I've owned 3 ZSs - all 180s - and not had a reliability issue with any of them. We all look for different things in our cars pal. What I looked for in mine was smiles per mile and I got plenty.

Your sig indicates that you were a miles per gallon man - and it also looks like you got plenty too.
I agree that it does read a little harsh, but I am only relaying the facts from my (and my families) experience.. As for my driving style, I am also a smiles per mile man but restricted by my commute to something that is also economical.

1992 Rover Metro, 30k
1996 Citroen Saxo, 67k
1988 Honda CRX, 160k
1993 Honda CRX, 136k
2001 Honda Civic, 36k
2004 Smart Roadster-Coupe, 18k
1987 Honda CRX, 156k
1996 Honda Prelude, 67k

Each one of the above has given me less grief, been built better, cost me less money and never let me down half as much as the ZS did..

Granted it might have been a lemon (and I'm sure it was a Friday afternoon car), but there's still a lot to be said when a 5 year old car is shown up by a now 22 year old Honda

The old man has had loads of problems with his MG ZT, and my mum had the head gasket done twice on her 26k mile Rover 25 - not to mention the long list of other stuff she had to do on it before she traded it in..

Our house was a MG-Rover house, but come Christmas a Fiat, Smart and Skoda will have replaced them - all down to reliability.

We are all guilty of wearing rose tinted shades when we drive a car, I for one was the first person to defend my 'little Rover' when someone criticized it, only now do I realised that I was defending them a little too much

Derv power baby!

will-w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-10, 11:22 AM   #19
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
As with all sides of things there will always be different opinions and perceptions, i had 4 years of trouble free miles (about 50k milage) out of my zs before i decided to molest it.

I personally wont be selling mine unless unforseen circumstances dramatically change my life. eg i can no longer drive or i can't afford to even run one car.

I know i am a some-what special case with the amount spent on mine, but for me dont think you will find a car for as little money as most models sell for for that will not give you that simple driving pleasure - and each of the models do something slightly different too. so there are horses for coourses as it were

my plan for when mine becomes un-economical to keep on the road (who says it is not already ) is to strip it an take it even further on the tuning side of things. by that time i would have a big old barge to tow it and will store it off road etc.

I do however need to tighten my belt a bit as i am bout to move house so wont be able to just throw money at it anymore; so i am hoping that it's current strip down and rebuilt will be the last for a long while!
Dieselpowered
Fitting Custom Hybrid Turbo (1856GTBv) & controller; Remap, swirlpot, lift pump
AMW Motorsports
Custom exhaust manifold & downpipe
p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-10, 11:40 AM   #20
Maxxed_Ross
Events Organiser-Scotland

Maxxed_Ross has a spectacular aura aboutMaxxed_Ross has a spectacular aura about
I have to admit I had mine in bits a good few times over the year I owned it too... considering it wasn't that old I suppose you could say it was un-reliable to joe public. But being a bit of an enthusiast I don't think I really bothered about it and it was never anything major.

the niggles do add up though

www.facebook.com/EX259

"It's not broken, it's an opportunity to upgrade!"
Maxxed_Ross is offline   Reply With Quote