AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 12-01-14, 10:09 PM   #1
jonnybriggs69

jonnybriggs69 is on a distinguished road
External temp sensor help needed!!!???

Hi all,

Basically I've bought a mk2 180. It would seem that a previous owner had binned it into a field and had it badly repaired. I've just replaced the front bumper with the correct one, as some clown had put a standard zs bumper on it......

The problem I have is with the aircon. I have an e4 error code. From reading up on the various forums it seems that the problem is with the exterior ambient temp sensor usually located inside the front bumper. ........ The problem is that there isn't one there..... I have the sensor from the new proper bumper - thanks Mark.... But we couldn't see or find we're it actually plugs in in to the wiring loom......

Could someone give a detailed description of we're it needs to connect to the loom... A photo would be great if anyone has a bumper off!!!

Any relevant help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
jonnybriggs69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-14, 10:12 PM   #2
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
It fits on a bracket behind the nearside foglight, the plug should be there somewhere.
Old 12-01-14, 10:34 PM   #3
jonnybriggs69

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkingcars View Post
It fits on a bracket behind the nearside foglight, the plug should be there somewhere.
I know that the sensor fits to clips to the bumper ~ the question is where does the other end of the sensor attach to the wiring loom?.... there is a possibility that the "mechanic" that did the work may have cut the cable off - so i need to know where it should be.....
Old 13-01-14, 06:54 AM   #4
Maxfly
Site Ambassador

Maxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to all
Not a 100% but I think it runs down with the fog light wiring........not paid a great deal of attention to it when I have had bumpers off but can't remember too many wires hanging about in that area.
Old 13-01-14, 06:57 AM   #5
andys1981

andys1981 is a jewel in the roughandys1981 is a jewel in the roughandys1981 is a jewel in the rough
when i had took the bumper off mines,i hadnt clipped it back in properly and was getting the e4 code,had another look and located it properly,then the code went off,the loom will be behind the passengers foglight,as james said,along with the wiring for the horn.
andys1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-14, 08:32 AM   #6
Jason04r

Jason04r is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by andys1981 View Post
when i had took the bumper off mines,i hadnt clipped it back in properly and was getting the e4 code,had another look and located it properly,then the code went off,the loom will be behind the passengers foglight,as james said,along with the wiring for the horn.
+1 on this.. same thing happened to me
Jason04r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-14, 08:39 AM   #7
jonnybriggs69

Cheers guys.......

I know that it is in the general area and have obviously spent some time looking for where it should go to no avail.

As I said - I think that someone may have the plug off of the loom. I'm really in need of a technical answer....
Old 13-01-14, 08:47 AM   #8
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
If the plug or cut off wiring isn't obviously visible you'll end up needing to un bundle the loom in the area of the horn/rh front fog to find the cut wiring, I don't see any other solution tbh.

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-14, 09:25 AM   #9
jonnybriggs69

Quote:
Originally Posted by petet16 View Post
If the plug or cut off wiring isn't obviously visible you'll end up needing to un bundle the loom in the area of the horn/rh front fog to find the cut wiring, I don't see any other solution tbh.
Thanks Pete. I agree - that will probably be the course of action needed. I'm hoping that someone may be able to tell me what wire I will need to find - colour/location etc.....

There seems to be nothing in Haynes manual - so need someone knowledgeable on the subject!
Old 13-01-14, 09:34 AM   #10
Smokey
The Alan Gow of OBTCC

Smokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to behold
I can answer this tomorrow as I am replacing my sensor, weather permitting!

2009 Forza 2 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC 2nd Place Runner-up
2009/2010 Forza 3 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/Clio Cup 4th Place
2010 Forza 3 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/F500 Cup 2nd Place Runner-up
2011 Forza 3 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/Driver's Championship 3rd Place
2012 Forza 4 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/Driver's Championship 1st Place Winner
2012/2013 Forza 4 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/DTM Championship 3rd Place
Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote