theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 26-04-08, 10:33 AM   #1
Jem

Jem is on a distinguished road
What speed to drive normally on a 60MPH road

On the average road where its 60MPH,What do you drive at? i never go 60 unless im overtaking, I normally drive at 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me View Post
How can I be so thirsty in the morning, when I drank so much last night?:
Jem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-08, 10:47 AM   #2
Craig
Back Again!

Craig is on a distinguished road
At the moment, circumstances dictate that I drive at 56mph lol. Its just before pay day, Im skint and its getting hard to get petrol up here. It does make one hell of a difference to my normal driving.

Craig Darroch

Create your badge
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-08, 10:56 AM   #3
Andyf

Andyf is on a distinguished road
I normally do 60, I get very annoyed with people who do 40 through the nationals then carry on at 40 in a 30, especially when they tailgate me through the 30 then disappear in the national only to come steaming up behind me in the next 30 limit.
Old 26-04-08, 11:13 AM   #4
al_roverMG
Site Supporter

al_roverMG is on a distinguished road
As long as there is not a reason not to (ie traffic, road conditions, weather etc) then you should always drive AT OR VERY CLOSE TO the speed limit. 50 in a 60 would fail you on your driving test and that is the minimum standard.

I totally agree Andy. It really winds me up when people dither about in a national speed limit only to carry on at above the speed limit in the 30mph zone. It is just as dangerous to dither as it is to travel at an unsuitable speed in my opinion and should carry the same punishment. I would happily see a driver doing more than 10% below the speed limit with no excuse handed 3 points and a fine.
Old 26-04-08, 11:27 AM   #5
Jem

Jem is on a distinguished road
50 in a 60 would not even give you a minor fault in a driving test,I go 50 becuase i use less diesel there is no need to do 60 well unless you are a boy racer

Oyea i might also say the reason my driving is better than 7years ago is now i have a 7year old in my car

Im very responsible when it comes to children in the car

40 or 45 in a 60 would be a big fault on a test,50 in a 60 would not

Thats just stupid driving 40-45 in a 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me View Post
How can I be so thirsty in the morning, when I drank so much last night?:

Last edited by Jem; 26-04-08 at 11:51 AM.
Jem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-08, 12:54 PM   #6
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
There is a stretch of country winding road not far from my place on the way to work that goes from 30 to 60, every morning I am behind vans and cars still doing 35, it is so annoying. However when they get to the straight bits it drops to 40 and they end up doing just over 40! Some drivers have no faith in their ability on windy roads and dither.

How many people here have been behind a car whose driver is well within the speed limit and driver/car limits only to keep putting their brakes on when there is a clear road ahead?
Old 26-04-08, 01:39 PM   #7
Andyf

Andyf is on a distinguished road
Very true Stamford, or they brake whenever a car comes the other way. People seem to 'comfort brake' in the middle of corners as well which annoys me.
Old 26-04-08, 01:59 PM   #8
mgjkd

mgjkd is on a distinguished road
i find it so hard to stick to 60
mgjkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-08, 02:07 PM   #9
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
I was behind one such car on the way home from work, nothing in front of it, braking all the time, it was so annoying and 20 mph inside the limit. Some drivers should not be on the road. Slow hesitant drivers are just as bad as those going too fast, sometimes you can get caught out by someone when driving too slow if you yourself are not fully focused. Those doing 40 on a motorway spring to mind, wouldn't be so bad if they were towing something!

Come to think of it, whenever I see a Police patrol car on the motorway, doing around 68mph you always see a plethora of brake lights people panic when they see them!
Old 26-04-08, 03:51 PM   #10
weagie

weagie is on a distinguished road
I usually sit just bellow the limit for the type of road traffic and weather permitting but what gets me is folk that pull out onto the road and don't even try to get up to speed and cause others to slow down, especially on the motorway or bypass. Old codgers are a pain too. Sitting at 30 or 40 on a 60 road with a cue of traffic behind them, that's when someone loses their patience and does something seriously dodgy, I've seen a few close ones on the back roads at my bit. As for the police on the motorway, i just pass them as long as I'm not breaking the limit. Must admit I'm super cautious when I've got my three year old in the car as i don't trust other drivers and she is more important than anything. Unfortunately i still get folk that drive way to close even though there's a small person sticker on the back window, guess that doesn't mean anything.
weagie is offline   Reply With Quote