theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 25-10-13, 07:06 PM   #1
Craig-ZS180

Craig-ZS180 is a jewel in the roughCraig-ZS180 is a jewel in the roughCraig-ZS180 is a jewel in the roughCraig-ZS180 is a jewel in the rough
Do I break it or not.

What are people's thoughts on breaking the car. It is going to be sold one way or another but I'm wondering what's the best way to go about it.
I am still undecided as to the replacement but it is now out of a choice of 2 cars that I'm toying with. One is a zs which obviously I can then swap the bits over I want to and pass on the rest but the other nothing is compatible so probably unless in a couple of years down the line I return to zs ownership isn't going to be worth me keeping the couple of my more favoured parts.
My main question is to those who have broken one before, how much of a pain in the ass is it to do this and is it really worth all the fuss.
I know my car is worth little as a complete package but how much more do people estimate me getting by parting it?
What are your thoughts?
Old 25-10-13, 07:25 PM   #2
andys1981

andys1981 is a jewel in the roughandys1981 is a jewel in the roughandys1981 is a jewel in the rough
it depends on what you really want craig,another zs or a 6 was it,if it was me i would get another zs and swap your ind kit,wheels etc,and whatever you needed and then maybe split,my last zs i sold to goldie hoping it would get him some buisness and to help you guys out aswell,but it turned out not a lot really sold off it,at this time of year it would be difficult with xmas etc coming real fast,so depends when aswell,hope you can work something out craig,im sure guys including myself would be interested in certain parts buddy
andys1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-13, 07:50 PM   #3
Craig-ZS180

Craig-ZS180 is a jewel in the roughCraig-ZS180 is a jewel in the roughCraig-ZS180 is a jewel in the roughCraig-ZS180 is a jewel in the rough
Well a 6 is a long shot option really as the price of one is quite a bit out of my comfort zone at present although after a good test drive in a TSE today I quite liked it. Something familiar about them in feel but can't say why as totally different vehicle. However although many knock them and slate them I didn't think it was bad at all and for the costs of them I think the really harsh comment are just a bit petty but we're all entitled to our opinions.

If I do go the zs route I won't be sticking with a 180 this time, not in the V6 form anyway. Myself and a very close friend have been looking into a slightly different approach to getting some reliable power that would also be more economical than the V6 so hopefully cheaper to run once all finished but it won't be the derv route.
Some bits I would swap, induction and exhaust probably buy I think I'd probably sell the wheels on along with the suspension and break setup on the 180 along with whatever else people would want. Just trying to work out if its worth it really or just take off the bits I'd re use and then put the standard bits back on in place and sell as a complete car.
Old 25-10-13, 07:55 PM   #4
andys1981

andys1981 is a jewel in the roughandys1981 is a jewel in the roughandys1981 is a jewel in the rough
thats what id do if you have or gonna have the 2nd car,swap the parts over then sell it,could be interested in my old wheels lol,if the tyres etc are good,as i said mate,its all down to you,it would be a shame to break it if im honest,im sure you will come to some conclusion buddy
Old 25-10-13, 08:00 PM   #5
Craig-ZS180

If I do sell certain parts then they will of course be out up in here out of due course, the wheels are still in the same condition but with good tyres all round now as hated the budgets that were on them. Never trusted them so get them changed after a week being on the car lol.
Well the zs is an idea I've been toying with but we shall see how it all unfolds. Think I will be at least taking some bits off and putting other bits on in place of but the wheels may have to stay as don't have a spare set now so will see.
Just know wont get as much for it that way as they're going for peanuts now aren't they
Old 25-10-13, 08:03 PM   #6
andys1981

yeah mate that is the problem but its fairly rare in that colour,i loved my 1st zs in that colour,really miss it tbh,you keep the wheels for the new car bud and sell what you dont need
Old 25-10-13, 08:09 PM   #7
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Breaking is a pain in the ass.

Will you seriously save that much money going froma V6 to something else.

Have you actually done the sums mate ?

I like sums so here we go.

worse case scenario - your ZS does 25mpg - mine is doing 29 right now - A litre of unleaded costs £1.29 making a gallon £5.90

If you do 10K miles a year your fuel will cost you - 400 gallons of fuel - £2360

If - and it's a big if - you can get your tweaked but economical ZS up to say 35mpg - your fuel will still cost - 286 gallons (rounded up ) - £1687

So a 10mpg improvement only saves you £673 ish.

Is the time, effort, cost etc etc worth it. I bet you, you'd spend that on your replacement on bits and bobs ....
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-13, 08:12 PM   #8
big_wasa

big_wasa has a spectacular aura aboutbig_wasa has a spectacular aura about
Not worth the hassle on a good solid car. I can understand if its damaged

My mate sold my old mk1 about two weeks ago and got £700, but he had to put a years ticket on it that cost him £100. (still a profit on what I charged him).

To sell it bit by bit you will have to post most of it. Paypal fees, ebay fees and lots of work.

I have stripped several cars and I wouldn't bother.
big_wasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-13, 08:16 PM   #9
andys1981

as warren said,have you got the time etc to strip,post everything,i could see it being a pain craig,you will get people asking for this and that and not get back to you etc,i would rather sell myself mate
Old 25-10-13, 08:22 PM   #10
Craig-ZS180

No I probably wouldn't get that back but when my current one is now looking to need some reasonably serious penny's spent on it. Also at the end of the day its been problematic throughout our time together (odd bits going wrong regularilly that my mechanic says aren't common bits) he knows the 180's and has owned and worked on many and its just always a pain when working on it.
I know in the past I've mentioned changing cars but I've always loved the car enough to want to keep it come decision time but now I can't warrant spending the amount needed to get it back to how it should be when at the end of the day it's a 11 year old car that's not mint or anything special.
Pains me to say it as I love that car and it is part of the family but now the time has come for us to part because its just not as reliable as it once was and this is all ontop of the £300 it has spent on it 2 weeks ago.

I know where your coming from Dan and I appreciate the sums lol, we have just lost faith in the old girl now