AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Galleries > Members Cars

Old 05-02-16, 11:24 PM   #1
Big-Jay

Big-Jay has a spectacular aura aboutBig-Jay has a spectacular aura about
Mk2 mg zs 180 xpg

Hi All,

Here is my recently purchased 180 in X Power Grey. Some of you may probably recognise her as she's been on the forum for a good while now. The two previous owners are forum members I believe, KevG & Maxfly.

I'd been looking for a good year or so for a nice one so as soon as this came up on gumtree I knew it was the one I'd be buying. She's already had some really nice modifications done and has most of the desirable bits and pieces, full leather seats, TF wheel, lowered, Janspeed Manis etc... She also has a cracking service history with plenty of receipts for work carried out which is always a good thing !

So, a killer 12 hour coach journey later and I found myself in Inverness, slightly dazed and confused, numb legs and in dire need of a nicotine fix .

I was greeted by Maxfly, who I must say was an absolute pleasure to deal with and a real nice guy, at the coach station who then took me back to his home where the ZS was waiting. A good chat later, money handed over and I was now the official owner of this -

Another 12 hour journey and I was back in sunny Birmingham, all went smoothly apart from me losing a rear wind deflector somewhere along the M74.

Here she is, now extremely dirty and in dire need of a wash, taking a well deserved rest on my drive after the long journey home -

Now, Gary had mentioned that on the previous day when he got back from taking her for a last spin, a plasticky rattling noise had developed from the ancillary side of the engine. I thought it may have been coming from the power steering pump so I took the Aux belt off and started her up but the noise was still there with the belt removed.

This ment that the noise was coming from somewhere deeper in the engine bay so a bit more digging and a few tea breaks later and i had the cam belt exposed -

Tea break -

Straight away I noticed the belt was quite slack so that obviously means that the hydraulic tensioner has failed and is no longer doing its job. A quick test using a plastic spoon to tension the belt and the noise had disappeared meaning the noise was the cambelt slapping on the plastic cam covers.

I'll be popping out tomorrow to hopefully pick up a new tensioner and its makes sense to change the belt, pulleys and water pump while I'm there too.

I'll post an update tomorrow evening if all goes to plan .

Jay.

Last edited by Big-Jay; 05-02-16 at 11:40 PM.
Big-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-16, 06:00 AM   #2
Roverlike

Roverlike will become famous soon enough
Excellent car. I do like to read about nice stories like this.

One question: how you managed to loose rear wind deflector? Did you open the window, or deflector was not properly sitting, so it was loose?
Old 06-02-16, 08:07 AM   #3
ian zs180

ian zs180 is on a distinguished road
That's one sorted zed that enjoy it mate
ian zs180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-16, 09:14 AM   #4
Big-Jay

Big-Jay has a spectacular aura aboutBig-Jay has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverlike View Post
Excellent car. I do like to read about nice stories like this.

One question: how you managed to loose rear wind deflector? Did you open the window, or deflector was not properly sitting, so it was loose?
Cheers bud,

Nope, snapped clean off ! Was extremely windy on the way home.
Big-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-16, 09:56 AM   #5
Maxfly
Site Ambassador

Maxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to all
Hey Jay, looking forward to your progress on her and stuck right in already. Are you planning on doing the belts yourself, do you have the belt tool kit to do it or are you using home brew methods?
Aye that wind was fairly extreme, shows how much if it ripped off the poor wind deflector eh.
Was a pleasure to deal with yourself and she has gone to a great home
Old 06-02-16, 11:10 AM   #6
grimmy
its ginger its phenomenal

grimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud of
You have got yourself a cracker there one of the best ones around.good to see my cars twin has went to a good home.have fun with it.
Old 06-02-16, 11:46 AM   #7
ZS Phil

ZS Phil has a spectacular aura aboutZS Phil has a spectacular aura about
Lovely looking car. Bet you are glad the belt didn't slip on the way home, that would have taken the shine off it! Sounds like you've been quite lucky there, great to see you getting the grease under the fingernails straight away too. Getting the belts done is a good job out the way
Old 06-02-16, 01:33 PM   #8
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Great car you have and well worth the trip I'm sure. Things on there after years of improvements so not a lot left for you to do really. Enjoy !
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-16, 02:42 PM   #9
KevG
2007 Focus ST2

KevG is just really niceKevG is just really niceKevG is just really niceKevG is just really niceKevG is just really nice
Nice to see her again, Hope you enjoy her mate, she is still sadly missed by me, and I had her a long time.

I'll PM you later.

KevG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-16, 04:56 PM   #10
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
24 hours, that's dedication.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Jay View Post
Another 12 hour journey and I was back in sunny Birmingham, all went smoothly apart from me losing a rear wind deflector somewhere along the M74.
so only 3 to go

welcome aboard

James
talkingcars is offline   Reply With Quote