theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Galleries > Members Cars

Old 21-09-16, 06:59 PM   #1
Mart_in_MCR

Mart_in_MCR will become famous soon enough
Some Winter Prep

It's been a while since I posted so thought I would put some photos up of the pre Winter prep last weekend. I had a bit of a wobble in Spring about getting rid but really glad I saw sense and didn't part with her now. It flew through it's MOT last week too

Well she started the day filthy from a trip to the Lakes the week before:

Gave the engine a good steam and clean and treated a few little rust spots. I keep meaning to order some stainless steel bolts off eBay but keep forgetting. I used my VIS tester while at it - Balance motor is good but the Power motor is dead so will need to replace shortly.

The headlights have progressively gone cloudy since I last restored them in 2014 so they were due for treatment again.

Before:

After:

Made sure I put plenty of Meguiar's headlight protector on them this time to give them a UV barrier and will make sure I keep topping them up.

Next up was servicing the ITG Maxogen as it hadn't been done since I purchased it off Skillen so that meant the bumper came off:

It was absolutely caked in oil and crap so it got a good treatment of ITG cleaner then a bath in hot soapy water before being left to dry all day before finally being re-oiled and re-installed.

Next up was the true pre-winter prep - Hammerite Underbody Seal with Waxoyl Took the wheels off and arch liners off - thankfully there was hardly any rust at all to be found but better to be safe rather than sorry so made sure as much as possible got a good coating to protect her from the road salts and damp winter conditions to come.

While the wheels were off I decided to tart up the brake calipers. My mate has a grey Celica with yellow calipers and I think the effect works well, he also had plenty of the calliper paint left over so I 'borrowed' his colour scheme:

By this point it was pretty much dark so just had to make do with a quick wash and then took a couple of shots the next day. I think the yellow calipers work really well. Didn't get chance to do the rears so that will be on the next job day.

Servicing the ITG has made a big difference, she can definitely breath a lot easier and the throttle response is vastly improved. Looking forward to get the VIS motors all back in working order to see the difference that will make

Not bad for an old girl - 47k on the clock
Mart_in_MCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-16, 07:16 PM   #2
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Looking good.

like the calipers

Old 21-09-16, 07:29 PM   #3
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Nice low mileage, looking good too.
Old 21-09-16, 10:16 PM   #4
redzed

redzed has a spectacular aura aboutredzed has a spectacular aura about
Nice work!
Old 21-09-16, 10:21 PM   #5
Lukeus101

Lukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to all
Looking good mate

ZS Appreciation Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/475756782447499/

> ZR 105 (Broken) > MK2 ZS 180 (Sold) > MK1 ZS 180 (Sold) > ZR Replica (Dead) > MK1 ZS 180 (Broken)
Lukeus101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-16, 09:38 AM   #6
john180

john180 will become famous soon enough
Need to clean my ITGs haven't done them since i put them on...
Old 22-09-16, 09:39 AM   #7
Lukeus101

Lukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to all
Add it to the list mate!

ZS Appreciation Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/475756782447499/

> ZR 105 (Broken) > MK2 ZS 180 (Sold) > MK1 ZS 180 (Sold) > ZR Replica (Dead) > MK1 ZS 180 (Broken)
Lukeus101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-16, 08:44 PM   #8
Djules

Djules has a spectacular aura aboutDjules has a spectacular aura about
I clean the ITG filter at each service, once a year, and each time the carbon box had water inside, 1 or 2" deep.

@Mart_in_MCR, do you remember if there should be a small hole to prevent that? Could be painfull if water was soaked inside the engine...
Old 23-09-16, 10:53 AM   #9
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Nice.

Did you paint the hubs too? Real eyesore if they aren't done I think especially next to painted calipers and good alloys. Smooth hammerite works a treat.
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-16, 06:33 PM   #10
Mart_in_MCR

Mart_in_MCR will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterzs View Post
Looking good.

like the calipers

Cheers Peter - I really like them too, need to do the back ones now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamford View Post
Nice low mileage, looking good too.
Nice one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redzed View Post
Nice work!
Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeus101 View Post
Looking good mate
Thanks Luke

Quote:
Originally Posted by john180 View Post
Need to clean my ITGs haven't done them since i put them on...
I was shocked how mucky mine was, definitely needed doing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djules View Post
I clean the ITG filter at each service, once a year, and each time the carbon box had water inside, 1 or 2" deep.

@Mart_in_MCR, do you remember if there should be a small hole to prevent that? Could be painfull if water was soaked inside the engine...
Hi - the only holes in mine were for the mounting plate at the bottom that the bolts run through. No drainage holes I can remember but likewise there wasn't any water in it either. Do you think the water could be coming from somewhere and somehow running into the box?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1971 View Post
Nice.

Did you paint the hubs too? Real eyesore if they aren't done I think especially next to painted calipers and good alloys. Smooth hammerite works a treat.
I didn't mate as we were losing the light but fully agree with you. It needs to go up on the ramps again anyway to do the rear arches and paint the rear calipers so I will do them then - just thinking a good solid black or maybe silver?
Mart_in_MCR is offline   Reply With Quote