theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Galleries > Members Cars

Old 22-03-17, 11:53 AM   #71
grimmy
its ginger its phenomenal

grimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud of
Ooft that's not good Mattie.sorry to hear that.
Old 22-03-17, 12:23 PM   #72
MG ZS STE
Site Supporter

MG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really nice
how did they diagnose it? did they do a proper sniff test with the die? you can get these kts yourself from amazon for less than £25. Think they call them block testers, by dr headgasket.

i thought id got HGF but it turned out to be the oil cooler gasket was letting coolant contaminate the oil. Still havent gotten around to sorting it yet as cant seem to find the gaskets. will probably end up getting one of those make you own gasket kits.
Old 22-03-17, 12:38 PM   #73
mattie007

mattie007 is just really nicemattie007 is just really nicemattie007 is just really nicemattie007 is just really nicemattie007 is just really nice
Thanks mate, at least I've give it a go! Would have been nice for the first garage to have told me that before I spent hundreds on it but there we go.
Quoted £1800 to fix (head gaskets, cambelt etc) so I'm in 2 minds now. I'd feel like I'll let the previous owners down if I break it but on the flip side I could spend thousands and it potentially fails the next MOT. Balls
Old 22-03-17, 12:47 PM   #74
mattie007

mattie007 is just really nicemattie007 is just really nicemattie007 is just really nicemattie007 is just really nicemattie007 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG ZS STE View Post
how did they diagnose it? did they do a proper sniff test with the die? you can get these kts yourself from amazon for less than £25. Think they call them block testers, by dr headgasket.

i thought id got HGF but it turned out to be the oil cooler gasket was letting coolant contaminate the oil. Still havent gotten around to sorting it yet as cant seem to find the gaskets. will probably end up getting one of those make you own gasket kits.
I left it with him but he said there was a huge amount of pressure in the coolant system and mayo in the engine, you could see it on the dipstick and where you put the oil in. Very think and gungy. He used to run the MGR garage in Northampton for 25 years so knows the cars I'd like for think.
Old 22-03-17, 01:37 PM   #75
MG ZS STE
Site Supporter

MG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really nice
That Kayleigh and Dave will do the same job for less than half what he's asking.
Old 22-03-17, 02:11 PM   #76
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
Ouch - that seems a lot for that job tbh.

It makes sense to do the belts while the head is off, but it seems that he is billing for the two jobs as separate quotes.

While no engine is immune it is typically unusual for the KV6 to go that way, you've had a really bad run of luck if that is the case!
Dieselpowered
Fitting Custom Hybrid Turbo (1856GTBv) & controller; Remap, swirlpot, lift pump
AMW Motorsports
Custom exhaust manifold & downpipe
p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-17, 02:17 PM   #77
mattie007

Tell me about it! I've enquired with Mg mobile but there's a month waiting list, same with lates
Old 22-03-17, 08:56 PM   #78
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattie007 View Post
Thanks mate, at least I've give it a go! Would have been nice for the first garage to have told me that before I spent hundreds on it but there we go.
Quoted £1800 to fix (head gaskets, cambelt etc) so I'm in 2 minds now. I'd feel like I'll let the previous owners down if I break it but on the flip side I could spend thousands and it potentially fails the next MOT. Balls
Get another engine .... ?
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-17, 07:37 AM   #79
Big-Jay

Big-Jay has a spectacular aura aboutBig-Jay has a spectacular aura about
Damn Matt, You've not had a good start to 180 ownership at all !

Has an issue with the oil cooler been ruled out completely ?

If it has been ruled out then I'd have to agree with Dan, you'd be better off sourcing a good used engine and swapping it out. There's a lad called Sam Tomkins on the MG ZS Owners Club on Facebook. He's quite well known within the MG community and he may be able to help you with an engine and possibly fitting of it, definitely worth getting in touch with him.

Will be a damn sight cheaper then £1800 too.

Would be a real shame to break her up but it's your car and your decision to make regardless of what the previous owners may think.

Last edited by Big-Jay; 23-03-17 at 07:43 AM.
Big-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-17, 05:08 PM   #80
mattie007

Well she's booked in with MG Mobile mechanics at the end of April so will go from there. Won't be able to go POL in her but at least it's getting a proper diagnosis. Gives me a month to get the radio and bodywork sorted Seems to point more towards an oil cooler fault than HGF so fingers crossed. If that is the case then I will be quite annoyed with the chap at the second garage assuming it's HGF.