theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 06-05-21, 03:53 PM   #1
AdamElphick

AdamElphick is on a distinguished road
Found the reason for my constant dead battery

Well as I am suing my mates Merc B Class auto while he is in Spain (nice ride but Oh-So-FUGLY) the ZS has been a bit underused. Needless to say the reoccurring battery drain has been more noticeable due to inactivity.

So I decided to poke around - cleaned contacts everywhere, undid and cleaned/greased earth points, you name it... then I thought I'd have a poke around under the dash.

Well ****** me! It was an old insurance tracker doing it! This poxy black box (that gave my mate cheaper insurance when he first got the car) was happily trying to contact the satellites 24/7, even though the insurance had long since moved to another supplier. I whipped the (badly wired in) inline fuse, and hey presto no battery drain!

Also discovered they must have broke the coin tray fixings by yanking it out and snapping the pegs off - GRRRR - lucky I don't use it!

I'll soon be going back to the ZS full time - so expect a few posts about stuff that will invariably need doing! LOL
AdamElphick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-21, 07:30 AM   #2
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
That’s good news on the drain issue. Not so on the busted tray.
Old 07-05-21, 11:49 AM   #3
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

I keep the derv battery topped up by charging it every 10 days or so if I haven't taken it out.

Guess who has a new eurocar parts battery sitting to go in, when I can get round to it.

The TF is the same and I put a new battery in that one.

Be interesting to see how long it takes to drain your one, now the box has been removed.

Old 16-05-21, 11:39 PM   #4
AdamElphick

AdamElphick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterzs View Post
I keep the derv battery topped up by charging it every 10 days or so if I haven't taken it out.

Guess who has a new eurocar parts battery sitting to go in, when I can get round to it.

The TF is the same and I put a new battery in that one.

Be interesting to see how long it takes to drain your one, now the box has been removed.

A week! LOL

To be fair I hadn't used the car much and it only had a quick run to charge it up so I will use him more now and keep my fingers crossed!
AdamElphick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-21, 12:48 PM   #5
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
what made the biggest difference was replacing the battery to starter motor lead and putting in a new starter motor in the derv.

It now spins over twice as fast as when I first bought it, so it must help the starting.

Good luck have to let us know how you get on.