theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Galleries > Members Cars

Old 04-06-08, 10:14 PM   #1
Southside_ZS

Southside_ZS is on a distinguished road
My 1st ZS, Damaged project...

Hi all, Quite new to this site. Im a member on most of the MG and Rover sites out there, Some people may know me. lol.

Anyway In the past few months i've started buying damaged MG-Rovers and fixing them up as they get written off so easily now a days and its a shame to see some good cars go to waste. I do a proper job on them, Im a fully qualified mechanic and learnt a fair bit of bodywork at college. Only thing i dont do is the painting but i've got a good friend who has his own bodyshop so he does all the paintwork for me dirt cheap. So far this year i've done a ZT, a ZR and now just bought this ZS. First ZS i've owned, had loads of MG-R's in the past excpet a ZS. Anyway picked it up off ebay for £850 looking like this...

Its the 1.8+ only got 33k on the clock. Needs o/s/r suspension sorting but all parts for that are included in the sale. Needs an o/s/r door and theres a dent in the o/s/f wing which may pop out. When i get it home i'll give it a good going over and i'll post pics of progress as i go along. Another one saved from the breakers anway.
Southside_ZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-08, 10:23 PM   #2
XPCobra

XPCobra is on a distinguished road
good to see them being saved from the scrapyards, just hope you fix it properly and dont take shortcuts, and that the chassis isnt damaged/twisted
XPCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-08, 10:28 PM   #3
Southside_ZS

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPCobra View Post
good to see them being saved from the scrapyards, just hope you fix it properly and dont take shortcuts, and that the chassis isnt damaged/twisted
Never cut corners mate. I like to do them properly im very fussy. Chassis isn't bent just the rear trailing arm.

I bought the ZT looking like this...

Finished it off like this..

Cant find the pics of my ZR damaged but it was front end, now looking like this...

Old 04-06-08, 10:34 PM   #4
XPCobra

XPCobra is on a distinguished road
has the chassis been measured? or just looked at by eye ( for paint/sealer cracks etc)
XPCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-08, 06:54 AM   #5
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
It's good to see MG's being given a second chance, far too many are being written off. Keep us informed of the good deeds
Old 05-06-08, 05:09 PM   #6
Witnes$

Witnes$ has a spectacular aura aboutWitnes$ has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamford View Post
It's good to see MG's being given a second chance, far too many are being written off. Keep us informed of the good deeds
Yeah agreed, It takes so little damage to write them off these days.
Old 05-06-08, 05:24 PM   #7
Southside_ZS

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPCobra View Post
has the chassis been measured? or just looked at by eye ( for paint/sealer cracks etc)
Its only Cat D, if it was chassis damaged it would be Cat C on an 02 plate
Old 05-06-08, 09:42 PM   #8
Z Scotland

Z Scotland is on a distinguished road
That looks like a quality job on the zt & zr

MG ZS 180
Z Scotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-08, 06:24 PM   #9
Southside_ZS

Got this delivered today. Alot less work than i was expecting to be honest. Rear suspension wise all thats wrong is the rear trailing arm has kinked pulling the wheel in and the rear arm between the bottom of the strut and the underbody has bunt round on the bush. Nothing structual at all which im pleased about. This pic shows what i mean...

Also gave it a wash as it turned up exactly as it looks in the 1st post i made. It was caked in mud. Washed it all off to reveal the whole car covered in scuffs. Every panel. I was gutted thinking i was going to have to have pretty much the whole car painted. But with a bit of elbow grease, a bottle of G3 and a bottle of Meguires all the marks came off which im pleased about and happy now . Shame really as the cars looks to have been well cared for, full service history e.t.c its just once they get written off the insurance and salvage guys just throw them about and dont care if they get damaged in transport or in the yards. Anyway only did the one side, roof, bonnet and rear as the other side and front bumper need paiting so wasn't worth cleaning up.

Heres the side i did, sideskirt just needs 2 new clips then can be clipped back on..

Then i got one with the ZR in and the ZS looking sorry for itself with broken number plate courtesy of delivery driver and badly placed ratchet straps

Old 08-06-08, 06:48 PM   #10
Boot Hill Bandit
Coming back home!.......

Boot Hill Bandit is on a distinguished road
Will you sell the ZS once its finished dude? Would be worth your while keeping us updated on all the progress and bits as you are doing now

Jim