AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Galleries > Members Cars

Old 25-05-09, 09:20 AM   #11
afcbadam

afcbadam is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonMGZS View Post
are you still using the existing exhaust manifolds that came with the car.if you are i would get rid of them as they are so restrictive.i would put on the ones from janspeed and replace the decat to a sports cat.

as i have noticed in your sig that you have a janspeed exhaust on there
tbh the janspeed manis are only worth a couple of bhp, this has been proven. i personally wouldnt spend that amont of money for a few bhp.

i may gain 2 bhp by putting manifolds on but will loose that by putting a sports cat on over a decat.

iirc ross and kev both had identical mods, one with manifolds and a sports cat, and one with standard manifolds and a de cat and de-cated with standard manifolds car gave 2 bhp more.

Regal Autosport Astra GSI Turbo 304 bhp 356 lb/ft

Thorney motorsport Vectra vxr 305bhp 398lbft

Now its time to build a big turbo MG ZS

afcbadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-09, 09:23 AM   #12
afcbadam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZS Phil View Post
Ah right, well that should make a difference, especially if it feels faster. What exactly was wrong with it? I guess if you put it on the rollers to find any problems then you have achieved a good result. Glad you sorted it.
inside there is a little plastic circle thing that toutches what look like 2 microswitches. this was stuck solid. since freeing it up and re-fitting it the rattle has gone from around that area aswell

Old 25-05-09, 09:39 AM   #13
ZS Phil

ZS Phil has a spectacular aura aboutZS Phil has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by afcbadam View Post
inside there is a little plastic circle thing that toutches what look like 2 microswitches. this was stuck solid. since freeing it up and re-fitting it the rattle has gone from around that area aswell
Result!
ZS Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-09, 09:43 AM   #14
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
I do beleive that when KevG fitted Janspeed manis his showed no gain on horses but it did on torque. Therefore the question is it worth it? I won't be until such time they are cheap enough to warrant them.
Old 25-05-09, 09:50 AM   #15
afcbadam

agreed mick. if they take a significant drop in price i will go for them. but for £300 + £250-£300 for fitting its alot of money for little gain.

i personally beleive the best way to go is with piper 285 cams and throttle bodies and re-mapped to suit

Old 25-05-09, 09:57 AM   #16
Dave ZS-X

Dave ZS-X is on a distinguished road
depends were abouts in the rev range your looking for gains. Janspeed dont give big top end gains the gain is all low and mid range and you cant gain torque without gaining bhp, they go hand in hand.
Nearly all would say there is a noticeable difference between having manifolds and not havingthem , just not right at the top of the revs.
You cant compare 2 cars rollered together either without knowing what power each was making as standard, 1 could have had 10 more bhp to start with !
All you can do is roller your own car before and after on the same rollers and see if its gained.
Remember we are talking nasp here though and you just dont get big gains by tweeking exhaust and induction.

Dave

Dave
Dave ZS-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-09, 05:28 PM   #17
Dave MGT

Dave MGT is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by afcbadam View Post
???
What do you mean by stuck. You shouldnt be able to move it by hand when it connected with the motor anyway. Its usually a problem with loose connections on the solder joints of the micro switches. The switches flex quite a bit when the cam spins and puts pressure on the weak solder joints. I bolted mine to the circuit board and re soldered the joints.
Dave MGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-09, 05:44 PM   #18
afcbadam

the plastic thing was raised and was sitting on top of one of the micro switches, therefore not making the switch when it should do. took the circle thing, and raised the switch up co it would make the contact

Old 25-05-09, 05:58 PM   #19
Tony10

Tony10 is on a distinguished road
I would agree that cams and a set of throttle bodies will give a good result. I would say. An Emerald ECU would probably help as well!
Tony10 is offline   Reply With Quote