theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 10-10-13, 09:42 PM   #1
Cally180

Cally180 is on a distinguished road
182 va va voom!

A year has past and my membership has clocked over one year, I was going not to renew but for all it was, and the fact I quite like this wee place and decided to carry on

So a year has past and although I had the Track Zed for only 10months, I had been one of the best cars I had, great fun and done on a budget. I do miss it but it was a joint adventure and the timing was right.

That brings me to this, a Renault Clio 182 - the new road legal trackday toy!

plan on doing a small up to date build thread on this, nothing like I had done before, not as picture crazy haha! been on cliosport.net, good site and loads of info but you need to go hunting as there is a few now and again more interested in shooting each other down and not so helpful. anyway....

the Clio, I decided the engine bay needed a freshening up

Before: (note not actual engine bay but looking identical)

done a bit of stripping

End result:

This Sunday is yet again another Knockhill day and if the weather is good, was going to take the clio a blast round the track, and with wanting to do a few improvements such as coilovers, full stainless, dropping to 15", and looking into a possible set of cam, I got one of the jobs done at the weekend there,

new SS exhaust system fitted, as the old one was getting a bit tatty, and was the original system, so well overdue being replaced.

as for other repairs, I have had new driveshafts fitted due to not being able to source an ABS ring as they are not standard, decided I wanted new pads and disks all round, so full miltex drilled, grooved and vented. replaced the rear suspension as it was sitting odd as it had standard clio dampers, got a good 2nd hand pair of ebay and cured that, so yeah not of to a flyer with it, but now that they are done its (hopefully) one less thing to worry about.

on a separate note, its got a lot of fun factor about it, but if I'm honest, I'm sure the Track Zed felt of more quality.... French Eh!
Cally180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-13, 07:15 AM   #2
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Engine bay looks really good, nice job. Not a bad car considering it is French!
Old 11-10-13, 07:49 AM   #3
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Looking good.

Daughter has a Initiale, nippy little car.

Looking forward to the Track pics!!
Old 11-10-13, 07:57 AM   #4
tcb 180

tcb 180 will become famous soon enough
Daughter just sold her mint phase 1 172 sport. Got a Mk4 GSi Astra now.

Watch out for cam belt changes and the Aux belt tensioner problems. OR have they sorted this on the newer versions?
tcb 180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-13, 08:03 AM   #5
redzed

redzed has a spectacular aura aboutredzed has a spectacular aura about
Dont take offense but isnt this a step back from a zs??
Old 11-10-13, 08:06 AM   #6
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

We were talking about the belts yesterday, anywhere cheap that do them.

Tried the Rentech, near us and they wanted a arm and a leg.

Any mobile guys that you know of TCB???

For the Bournemouth area.

Old 11-10-13, 09:17 AM   #7
Cally180

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcb 180 View Post
Daughter just sold her mint phase 1 172 sport. Got a Mk4 GSi Astra now.

Watch out for cam belt changes and the Aux belt tensioner problems. OR have they sorted this on the newer versions?

The belts have all been done 15-20k ago but they still have the issue of a noisy dephaser pully which works the variable valve timing. Common fault and makes it sound a little like a tractor.
Old 11-10-13, 09:20 AM   #8
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Great improvement under the bonnet. Good work.

Great little cars and where I have no doubt it's lighter than a ZS with the same power, I'd reckon more fun on the track.

Nice one.
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-13, 09:23 AM   #9
Cally180

Quote:
Originally Posted by redzed View Post
Dont take offense but isnt this a step back from a zs??
Not atoll taking.. The ZS was a track only car and on the track the clios would have it both on the straights and on the corners, driver depending. The clio which I have road legal and intend to do the odd day here and there seems to be the car of choice as in the old days it's was the nova.. At Knockhill anyway. As a track toy the clio (IMO) is the better option. As an all rounder I think the ZS would win. Two completely different cars I think.
Old 15-10-13, 09:49 PM   #10
Cally180

Update after Knockhill antics:-

so had my first session out in the clio at Knockhill on Sunday there, and over all I'm very happy with it.

Drove the the car up in the morning following my mates 600bhp Evo lasted the full day and drove home with no major issues. One problem I did have is my exhaust has moved slightly and touched and melted the bumper a little, nothin major.

As for for the track day... For a standard car it preformed well passing a 182 throphy and another 172 clio, taking a few redtop nova's, BMW 328i, mx5's saxo's and older type civics. ... Had a good wee fight with a mx5 supercharged, the more upto date civic type R's and even met old yellow peril on the day... so happy with the end result.

A wee picture of it sitting in the paddock

Lots of 3 wheeled action was going on and felt more confident on the corners with it.

Only issue I now have with the car, Is that I took the car out after being out on Sunday and it's died on me, after further checking I've found the positive going to the starter had shorted agenst the exhaust manifold and blown the fuse that's on the positive lead coming from the battery. It's not a normal fuse as you can see

Trying to find the rating of this fuse is turning out to be a bit of a mission, Renault don't have a clue as it's not a new upto date car that they are interested in and the cliosport site just ain't technical enough..

So as it stands the now, the car doesn't run, but once this fuse is replaced we should be back up and running and continue to what was a good start