theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 17-01-13, 11:39 PM   #21
zsserbia

zsserbia will become famous soon enough
Sadly this could bring car theft to a whole new level, thiefs wouldn't have to bother showing up on site no more... Just a matter of time.
zsserbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-13, 07:10 AM   #22
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
What concerns is the where the car is seen starting up on demand and driving out of its parking bay..................so do these cars now have 'eyes' so they look before pulling out? A bit of a downer swearing at a driverless car! A bit like getting cut up by a beautiful young lady and the only thing coming from one's mouth is dribbling instead of profanities!
Old 18-01-13, 08:14 AM   #23
MG mad

MG mad is on a distinguished road
It's actually not a bad idea really, I seldom go to malls as I dislike shopping as much as my wife enjoys it, but the amount of time that is spent finding a park can be a real pain in the rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkingcars View Post
Great idea from Audi but there are so many problems with it.
It's illegal to leave a car on the road with the engine running while it is unattended, must be illegal to let the car drive off on it's own.
How you deal with paying for the parking.
How do you find it when your phone goes flat?
How do you summon it if your signal goes?

And as for the stress of parking - an unmanned car driving around the car park at that speed would cause me a lot of stress!
None of those are insurmountable at all. It's really not that hard to drop off/pick up the car by the ticket machine to pay for the parking. If all else fails and you didn't charge your phone you can still drive the thing.

To be honest though the stacking garages are the way of the future for big car parks, much more space efficient, easily disguised, and quicker than driving around and around looking for a park.

"Driving sideways is the Meaning of Life"

1987 MG Metro - 1440cc fast road car
1988 MG Metro Turbo - standard, for now...
1970 MG Midget - 1.9L Scholar + big valve VVC + supercharger + RWD = YEEHAA!
1996 MGF 1.8i - Project Rally Car
1998 MGF Abingdon - Wife's fun car
1972 MGBGT - Project V12 MGB (Wife's money pit)
2005 MG ZT-T 260 - Wife's sensible car
2001 MG ZS 180 - LHD - sold to brother
2003 MG ZS 180 - Hurrah!
1956 MG ZA Magnette - the "wife wants to keep me busy" car
MG mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-13, 09:14 AM   #24
ian zs180

ian zs180 is on a distinguished road
Thats mad i wouldnt trust that one little bit anyway computers and all that sort of stuff can fail, rather park it myself imagine if you was in tesco and seen your car drive passed doin 70mph
ian zs180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-13, 09:22 AM   #25
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
I've got visions of Audi traffic jams as everyone summons their car from the car park

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-13, 09:34 AM   #26
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by petet16 View Post
I've got visions of Audi traffic jams as everyone summons their car from the car park
Yes and crashing, swapping details would be interesting!
Old 18-01-13, 05:02 PM   #27
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG mad View Post
None of those are insurmountable at all. It's really not that hard to drop off/pick up the car by the ticket machine to pay for the parking. If all else fails and you didn't charge your phone you can still drive the thing.
Good luck getting VOSA to approve driverless cars on the UK roads, car park exits are often further from the shops than most parking spaces, and good luck finding the car that has driven off by itself to park - if your phone has gone flat so you can't summon it you can't use it to tell you where the car is actually parked either!