theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-02-14, 07:55 PM   #1
dave23572

dave23572 is on a distinguished road
Civic Type-R test drive (steering comparison)

I test drove a 2010 Civic Type-R (FN2) today.

Main reason for doing so was not that I'm looking to buy one, but because I wanted to compare the steering and handling to my 180.
This is in the context of my current frustration with my 180's slow/unresponsive steering (to my taste anyway) as described in my thread:-
http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?p=328380

I thought a good modern FWD performance car would be a good benchmark to see if I was just being unrealistic in my expectations of the steering on my 180.

Please note
I'd like to say that I DO NOT want to start another CTR vs ZS "mine is better than yours" thread. I'm a fan of both for one reason or another.

My 180
My 180 is standard apart from polybushed front suspension, ITG induction and a catch tank. 2003 Saloon with 130000m, I've owned it for 8 years.

The steering feels very "lazy" to me and too light, requiring too much steering input and has a rather "soft" steering bite.

CTR (FN2) test drive impressions compared to my 180

The CTR's steering when compared to my 180 is on a different planet!
Much more responsive, much more bite, much less steering wheel input required, much better turn-in. Much more "kart like". Basically exactly how I want my 180 to handle.

SO, how do I make my 180 steer/handle like that?
Or am I basically just going to have to get a CTR FN2?

Other aspects
I was expecting to be more impressed by the CTR engine than I was. I was expecting it to be noticeably quicker than my 180. But whatever the on-paper performance figures suggest, the performance felt more or less on a par.
The engines deliver in different ways, but overall the acceleration felt similar.
The VTEC engine has better throttle response than the KV6 though and a better clutch bite, but I didn't like the CTR gearbox much. The ZS PG1 gearbox has a nicer gear shift. I've never been a big fan of 6-speed boxes, but I'm sure it's something you would get used to.

The CTR seats are much better than the ZS ones. More comfortable and more supportive, but I really don't like the CTR dashboard, which I found to be a very fussy and untidy design. Even though the ZS dash is rather dated, I actually quite like it's simplicity and it's always had very good/clear main instruments.

Back to the point.
Anyway, back to the point of all this, the steering/handling.
I want to keep my 180 ideally, but I really want to sharpen up the steering if it's at all possible.

Dave

Last edited by dave23572; 09-02-14 at 08:18 PM.
dave23572 is offline   Reply With Quote