theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 12-03-09, 05:05 PM   #21
Supercharged_Z
KV6 Supercharged

Supercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave ZS-X View Post
who knows....????
george told me at combe in his opinion it was 250 ish which is good but you dont get any torque with it, and nothing else is touched or modified to handle the power. Your paying all that wonga for a bolt on part and some mapping.

Dave

250-260. does what it says on the tin if done right as per my previous post.
Supercharged_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-09, 12:43 PM   #22
Maxxed_Ross
Events Organiser-Scotland

Maxxed_Ross has a spectacular aura aboutMaxxed_Ross has a spectacular aura about
I've got some Nos for sale for much cheapness lol

www.facebook.com/EX259

"It's not broken, it's an opportunity to upgrade!"
Maxxed_Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-09, 12:48 PM   #23
Alan.F

Alan.F is a jewel in the roughAlan.F is a jewel in the roughAlan.F is a jewel in the roughAlan.F is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Huge amount of money for very little returns and still not proven imo.
Much better ways to go than a sc.

Dave
Says the man thats paid £7k for 100bhp as it already had 200ish no offence m8 but thats how i see it

Alan.F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-09, 01:28 PM   #24
Dave ZS-X

Dave ZS-X is on a distinguished road
Then your obviously not seeing things clearly.....lol

The actual cost was 6k drive in drive out, for that you get the engine supplied, re built with uprated rods and inlet and exhaust valves, new belts and gaskets, new baffled sump, full custom 3 inch turbo back exhaust by Blueflame, custom intercooler and boost pipes by pro alloy, custom engine mounts and steady bracket, new uprated clutch, gearbox
re build with steel cage bearings, new standalone ecu, new uprated fuel pump, custom induction, vag to pg1 engine to gearbox adaptor plate, custom flywheel etc etc ...i cant think of everything tbh but its a total build with everything uprated to take the power, my engine will go to 400 bhp just with a turbo swap.
The only extra was my turbo which i got at reduced price but considering i got 1500 quid for my kv6, exhaust, induction, seats etc then the whole job actually only cost me 4500 quid plus my turbo.
Now then......4500 quid wouldnt even get you a supercharger fitted with everything it needs to work properly, its going to work out at 5k + by the time youve paid for standalone and fitting and better injectors and fitting and then hopefully it will be reliable !!

So to summarise ....5k for a bolt on part giving 250 bhp and no torque gain and nothing else at all, no clutch, no gearbox mods, no exhaust, no nothing OR 4.5k plus a turbo for everthing ive listed above and then some and 50 more bhp than the charger and 140 ftlb more torque.

Yeah i see were your coming from now....

Not rflmao

Dave

Dave

Last edited by Dave ZS-X; 13-03-09 at 01:34 PM.
Dave ZS-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-09, 01:37 PM   #25
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Have to agree with Dave, he has recouped a far amount back so in essence it is more economical than the supercharger kit and more reliable with regards out of the box running. To get Ross's figures I guess the charger costs would be in addition to the other mods done to ensure it had that level of power, not forgetting to mention breathing and gearbox uprating etc.

Like for like there is probably not much in it costwise but I know where I would put my money and that is purely down to the engineering involved, design, shelf life, complete package and has nothing to do with history apart from the known issues and R&D taken to get where it is. The VAG conversion has more scope and capacity for development whereas the KV6 charged route is probably at it's limit due to the engines internals, but that is best guess.
Old 13-03-09, 01:39 PM   #26
ZS
IT Administrator

ZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxed_Ross View Post
I've got some Nos for sale for much cheapness lol
How cheap?

I love it when people call me at 3 AM. "Hey, you asleep?" "No, I'm skydiving."

http://www.bexairbrushing.co.uk
ZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-09, 01:44 PM   #27
Dave ZS-X

good point.
The charger is probably near its limits at 250, i can buy an off the shelf kit for any level of power i want even up to 600 bhp if i so desire.
The audi engine is lighter gives better weight distribution, is more economical, its a much newer power plant purpose built for boost and tested in tens of thousands of cars around the world , the kv6 was not built for boost and it shows, the only r and d has been done on just one individual car in this country...

Not to mention the sheer amount of labour, design and work involved, my build was engine out gearbox out the full monty then design and build custom engine mounts etc, the supercharger just bolts on top of the existing engine and takes 1-2 days to complete maximum.
You just cant compare!!!

Dave

Dave

Last edited by Dave ZS-X; 13-03-09 at 01:56 PM.
Old 14-03-09, 08:10 PM   #28
Supercharged_Z
KV6 Supercharged

Supercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really nice
for info the charger is nowhere near its limits @5psi. reving to 7k far from it.

but even i agree with dave over the costs, a shame to lose the KV6 but it is good value for money with what you get, shame it took 4 plus months, but part of that was waiting for a few things inc daves turbo.

How much was your turbo dave? for anybody wanting to do this conversion martin has said 6.5-7k plus the turbo you bought to get the full 300bhp

its worth bearing in mind that not many people would get 1500 quid back for there engine as theydont have what you have, in some instances 500 quid max, plus not many people will sell there seats etc

so vag zs= 7k -500 =6.5k tis a lot of money.

charger is probably 4.somthing k with a standalone that has traction control/launch etc etc. but yes no clutch or adapter plate. and prob limited to 280 ish bhp

Last edited by Supercharged_Z; 14-03-09 at 08:20 PM.
Old 14-03-09, 08:26 PM   #29
Dave ZS-X

yeah it was some time in the making and id be dishonest if i said it didnt get me down a bit sometimes but it is a world first and as such absolutely everything is built bespoke. Martin could have built it much quicker if it was all he had to work on but his place is incredibly busy and now ive seen his work i realise why.
It was well worth the wait!!

turbo didnt cost the earth, you send in your turbo on exchange and if its in good nic you get a lump knocked off and it was already reduced as well.

Dave

Dave
Old 14-03-09, 08:27 PM   #30
Supercharged_Z
KV6 Supercharged

Quote:
yeah it was some time in the making and id be dishonest if i said it didnt get me down a bit sometimes but it is a world first and as such absolutely everything is built bespoke. Martin could have built it much quicker if it was all he had to work on but his place is incredibly busy and now ive seen his work i realise why.
It was well worth the wait!!

turbo didnt cost the earth, you send in your turbo on exchange and if its in good nic you get a lump knocked off and it was already reduced as well.

Dave
not knocking the work, or even the time it took as good things take time, and nothing happens overnight.