Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 27-04-08, 04:27 PM   #31
Jem

Jem is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by talkingcars View Post
?

Not if you are driving properly!

Always leave sufficant gap between you and the car in front so that you can stop if you need to.
Oyea you are right about the gap between the two cars, but things doesn't allways happen smoothly

Nothing to do with this but:

If i see a animal on the road i will not move to get out of the way, i use to but not any more,someone my parents knew did that and they caused a accident and the driver and wife died from that,and it wasn't no animal all it was was a smallish black bag,i cant remember the full story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me View Post
How can I be so thirsty in the morning, when I drank so much last night?:
Jem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-08, 04:35 PM   #32
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem View Post
Driving tests can be a funny thing you can fail one time do the same thing the next time and you could pass,Its all down to who you have
When I was a driving instructor I sat in on a few tests, the things pupils did that they never would on a lesson were unreal.

The examiner has to judge how a person behaves, their attitude ec

I watched one test, an experienced driver from Canada (he was also an airline pilot), a traffic light changed to amber just as he approched, without hesitation he nipped through. Without being there as an observer but hearing the story after, would you have passed the driver?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem View Post
Remember the police know what they are talking about when it comes to driving as they have to do very advance driving courses
To get my driving instructor quilification I had to pass the highest driving test available to the public, 1 hour in town, on country roads and motorways. 3 minor mistakes and you fail. I have also taken police driving courses and have 2 vocational driving quilifications.

Please bear that in mind when you read the following.

SPEED DOESN'T KILL, MIS-USE OF SPEED DOES!

Mis-use of speed can be equally going to slow for the conditions as going too fast. It has been known for my car to be driven at speeds well above the speed limit but I have only had 1 driving accident 6 months after I passed my test-27 years ago. And I do a few miles, over 1000 in the last week.

Finally, how much blame can be attributed to the driver not observing what the stationary car was doing in this situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
I was driving just under 30 went past a car that was parked on the sie of the road what does he do?? Well he pulls out without even looking drives in the side of me but he doesn't stop he just keeps driving which makes my car a write off
If you had been doing just over 30 you may have been passed him when he pulled out.
Old 27-04-08, 04:46 PM   #33
sarah

sarah is on a distinguished road
but if he was doing over 30 (depending on what type of road) he would of been pulled surely?

my oh my.....
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-08, 05:35 PM   #34
Andyf

Andyf is on a distinguished road
I think what Talkingcars meant is demonstrated in this road safety video

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ohary9UEnbg&feature=related
Old 27-04-08, 05:55 PM   #35
Maxfly
Site Ambassador

Maxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to all
as far as i was taught when doing my instructors exams (passed first two and failed the final one) if it is safe and the conditions allow you drive to the speed limit, i was told as part of the marking process, if on a main road you are driving well below the speed limit in fine conditions you would get a minor mark against you and obviously more if you continued doing this during the test and 50mph was used as an example of being too slow for fine conditions
Old 27-04-08, 06:02 PM   #36
Somertonian

Somertonian is on a distinguished road
When safe to do so, I drive at the speed limit - but take care not to exceed by more than 10%. Most forces allow the Association of Chief Police Officers' (ACPO) recommended 10% + 1mph over posted limit and prosecute at 10% + 2mph.

Driving slower causes accidents. Partly because people get frustrated and overtake (which is always less safe than not needing to).

S
Somertonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-08, 07:06 PM   #37
les.millar

les.millar is on a distinguished road
options on a sunday

1/ wash & clean car to high standard

2/ watch the wife go round asda like a cow meanders round a field
i think ive seen this quote before
perhaps maxfly could enlighten me
les.millar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-08, 09:42 PM   #38
arwilson80
Founding Members

arwilson80 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimmy View Post
My wife failed a driving test by driving at 50 in a 60 and she was told by the examiner she was over cautious and not making proper progress due to her speed.
So did my little sis.... <5mph below the speed limit and she failed.

"People in cars cause accidents. Accidents in cars cause people. Drive only with proper protection."
"You should try one. It's bloody good" - Jeremy Clarkson (commenting after driving a ZS180)
"Fines are a tax for doing bad, Taxes are a fine for doing good" - Unknown
GPS - Because guys don't know how to ask directions

MG ZS 180
3.5L V6 Ford Taurus
2.7L V6 EcoBoost Ford F150 4x4
arwilson80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-08, 01:22 AM   #39
dj_russell

dj_russell is on a distinguished road
im gobsmacked at the amount of people in here that havent broken the speed limit either this site has the most advanced drivers in the uk or too many people are telling porkies. ill openly admit ive broken the limit i bet even andy with the red mg has in his own time im expecting you to say no because your in a very high job that comes with responsibility so if you admitted it then it wouldnt be very good at all, but it gos unsaid. i even know a copper who regularly gos past the limit in his own time unless hes in a 30 then he does obey the law himself.

bad driving kills aswell not speed. im 21 years old so what i say will go unlistened to as im one of the youngest so quite rightly i should be ignored loads of you are parents on here that probablky have kids in the same age group as me.

Last edited by dj_russell; 28-04-08 at 01:28 AM.
dj_russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-08, 04:54 AM   #40
al_roverMG
Site Supporter

al_roverMG is on a distinguished road
DJ it is people telling porkies. Everyone without exception (and as an advanced driver, a MAC advanced driver and an HGV class 1 holder i think i am probably as well qualified as most short of the instructors on here) will have strayed over the speed limit by a mile an hour or 2 probably not even noticing.

Jem i hate to say it (as i looked into doing the whole instructor thing a couple of years ago but then got my present job) but the allowed guidelines on the driving test are 10% over the speed limit and 10%+2 below is a minor fault every time you do it without reason. get to more than 10% over or more than 20% under and it is major fault as it is seen as making inproper progress and is deemed to be dangerous.

As talking cars said the official line is you should make proper progress at the speed limit unless it is unsafe to do so. This just goes to prove why you should have to "revalidate" you licence every 5/10 years with a retest of sorts.

The standard of driving in this country is frankly appauling. The worst offenders are in the 35 years plus as they trump the "i have been driving for X years" which simply means i have developed many bad habits and my driving knowledge is well out of date. I mean how many here have bought the new highway code and made themselves aware of the new rules introduced?? How many could pass the new theory test?? I bet a fair few "experianced" drivers would be shocked. My dad was when he tried my HGV one (allowing for him not knowing the HGV questions) and he went out and bought the highay code to brush up on.

I am the first to admit i have bad habbits while driving. One hand on the wheel driving on the motorway and also making "progress" where it is safe to do so. But i know they are my faults. Just seems that a few people cannot accept that years of experiance doesn't always make for a good driver.

Oh and as an aside i can totally reccomend the MAC course (motoring awareness course). It was offered free with the civic type R when i had one and is mostly ex police instructors. Definatly an eye opener to hazzards that you never thought about and where best to place the car on the road to see them in best time. That and the skid pan course are a must in my opinion.