AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 09-06-08, 01:16 PM   #1
moonklash

moonklash is on a distinguished road
Removing side skirts and questions about former write-off

Hi there!

First off let me introduce myself. I'm Stu and I'm hoping to buy my first bright yellow 2002 MG ZS this weekend!

I have one concern. The car has side skirts and low profile tyres (I take it these were all options or were they standard?), which I love the look of, but I'm not to clear how close they go to the road (I've only seen photos of the car I'm buying). On occasion I may need to drive down a bumpy dirt track and I don't want them wrecked, so I was wondering if they are easy to take off and put back on as required?

The car was a former cat D write-off so I'm getting it cheap. Cat D's are generally okay aren't they? It's been on the road for 5 years since the accident.

I'm really sorry if any of this has been asked before, I did try searching the forum but got error messages

Thanks in advance! Once I've got it I'll post some photos!

Cheers,

Stu.
Old 09-06-08, 01:48 PM   #2
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Firstly

What model ZS is it? If the side skirts are of the genuine design then you will not have any clearance issues even with low profiles etc. I really wouldn't worry about that part. As for cat D, no problems as that is purely cosmetic and nothing to warrant any concerns.
Old 09-06-08, 01:55 PM   #3
moonklash

Thanks for the info, that's great news! I'm just a little worried as it looks close to the ground in the photo. I'm assuming it hasn't been modded of course (just because it seems unlikely).

The details I have are:
2002 (52 plate) MG ZS 1.8 120 +

I know I shouldn't really get this as I do 500 miles a week in an ugly Renault Megane, but when this came along I could resist. I've wanted one of these since I first saw them!

Old 09-06-08, 02:00 PM   #4
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Looks pretty good, I'm guessing the rear has at some work done as the badges are missing. Nice steering wheel as well! Added bonus of an electric sunroof I see, not many have those.

Is that a screen in each sunvisor?
Old 09-06-08, 02:19 PM   #5
moonklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamford View Post
Looks pretty good, I'm guessing the rear has at some work done as the badges are missing. Nice steering wheel as well! Added bonus of an electric sunroof I see, not many have those.

Is that a screen in each sunvisor?
I hadn't realised about the badges, that's interesting! I heard it was indeed the boot that was replaced, but the seller doesn't have too much information as there's been a few owners since the accident. I think someone must have gone in the back.

I may try getting the badges from a scrapyard or the net if/when I get the car, I want it to be as perfect as poss! I'm just worried about paying a couple of Łk for something that's a hundred miles away, so just trying to think of every possible problem. Apart from going from diesel to petrol of course, and I'm not looking forward to the extra fuel costs

And yep, I love the steering wheel! That's one of the reason I wanted the car, haven't seen that before! Must have been quite expensive when it was first purchased as it looks like the original owner went for all of the options! He only had it about 6 months before writing it off, bet that was frustrating.

Sunroof was on my list of requirements, I hate not having one. People tell me to use aircon, but on the few days we get to see some sun in the UK I want to let it in the car lol!

Yep, apparently it has a DVD player! Not such an essential for me but I'm not gonna complain. Also has an amp! I'm just worried about clearance because there's a few places I go where the ground is not really designed for driving on, that's my biggest fear at the moment. As well as whatever damage may have been done to it during the crash but I won't know that till I've driven it around for a while.

I'm just hoping I can sell my Renault Megane in time lol!
Old 09-06-08, 02:52 PM   #6
stamford
Site Owner

Just noticed you are near Pompey, where? I'm in Cowplain.
Old 09-06-08, 02:57 PM   #7
moonklash

No way - I'm just down the road in Clanfield! Ha ha - what are the chances of that! If you've seen someone staring at you while you're driving your ZS down the road that probably would have been me lol!
Old 09-06-08, 03:09 PM   #8
moonklash

I guess it is a small world...!
Old 09-06-08, 03:13 PM   #9
stamford
Site Owner

Certainly is! I drive through Clanfield twice a day, not always in the ZS though. I work in Aldershot so it's up the A3 to Bordon and I always drive through Clanfield, it sets me up for the day and calms me down when on the road home through Lovedean. The Bird in Hand is my local, a nice drop of HSB
Old 09-06-08, 04:42 PM   #10
moonklash

Haha! This seems so surreal It's sad about the old Horndean brewary really, I was never too into my bitters but it was a pity when they closed anyway

I have to drive the other way, right up to Southampton and back each day, which is why I got the diesel Megane. After six month I miss the comfort from my old Rover 416, and I've always loved the MG styling (and wanted originally a little MG since I was a kid) which is why I'm quite keen on the ZS! Even with the cost of petrol! Although I'm very scared of buying a write off.

Tags
side skirts, write off