theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 21-08-12, 08:05 PM   #1
drroberts490

drroberts490 has a spectacular aura aboutdrroberts490 has a spectacular aura about
First breakdown!

Traveling home from holiday on Saturday, as I was approaching Southend had to slow and then crawl along in the traffic. After about 20 - 30 mins the revs had a bit of a moment and then cut out, attempted to restart but just kept struggling with the revs and cutting out. Gave her a rest for about 15 mins and she started again only to do the same 200 yards up the road.
Gave in and called the AA, they turned up about 30 mins later and typically she started fine, AA guy followed me to the In-Laws with no problems.

At no point did the temp gauge go up to suggest she was overheating even though it was a roasting day and i was crawling in traffic. Drove back to Wiltshire Monday and had no problems. Anyone else experienced anything similar? Must admit was a bit sad, had her nearly 9 years since new and it is the first time she has let me down.
Old 21-08-12, 08:35 PM   #2
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Get a diagnostic reader plugged in to see it any of the sensors are showing signs of breakdown. At this age things will start playing up at random times, mine has lately and not surprised as it is in my 8th year of ownership, so don't be too down-hearted.
Old 21-08-12, 08:36 PM   #3
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Cam or crank sensor needing changing/cleaning.
Old 21-08-12, 08:37 PM   #4
POMPSKI

POMPSKI is a jewel in the roughPOMPSKI is a jewel in the roughPOMPSKI is a jewel in the rough
Sounds like my dirty IACV to be honest, exactly the same symptoms.
POMPSKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-12, 08:38 PM   #5
grimmy
its ginger its phenomenal

grimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud of
Have heard of the crank or cam sensor causing those type of problems.
Old 21-08-12, 08:49 PM   #6
drroberts490

drroberts490 has a spectacular aura aboutdrroberts490 has a spectacular aura about
Cheers for the advice guys, I have cleaned the IACV before but must admit revs have been creeping higher when cold again recently.
Never touched the Cam or Crank sensor before, will have to search for a how to on here
Old 21-08-12, 09:01 PM   #7
mhamps

mhamps is on a distinguished road
Not sure if the zs has one but i had another car that did the same sort of thing snd it was the egr valve!

Matt

mhamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-12, 09:08 PM   #8
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
I may be wrong but pretty sure the EGR is a diesel only valve. Always best to get shot of them and fit a by-pass kit.
Old 21-08-12, 09:32 PM   #9
drroberts490

Is the crank sensor in question item 2? Can't find the cam sensor yet
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GRID003188.jpg (11.7 KB, 7 views)
Old 21-08-12, 10:06 PM   #10
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
To locate the cam sensor it is on the front face of the front cylinder bank at the gearbox end of the engine
number 2 is the crank sensor, number 6 is the cam sensor.

cam sensor

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

Last edited by petet16; 21-08-12 at 10:12 PM.
petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote