Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 28-10-15, 10:37 AM   #111
Malteser

Malteser is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by redzed View Post
Look forward to the pics!
I'll try and keep you guys updated a bit more frequently then I have of late...lol!
Malteser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-15, 10:45 AM   #112
Malteser

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_b82 View Post
Well - I put tinkering in quotes as I've done substantial engine modifications, but compared to your transplants and the rest it is not in the same league of time/effort

I guess the engine you've got takes up more space, as there is space for a single pass FMIC in the bottom grill on the 400, as I used that as the template to get mine fitted actually.... needed to remove the crash bar behind the bumper, and cut some of the slam panel to fit the return pipe back over the top..

A little irrelevant though if you don't have the space due to other mods tho

Tbh - If I were you try and get as good quality core as you can, and size is not as critical - might cost you a bit more to get it made up, but thermal efficiency is what you are after - esp in hotter temps than the UK.

mine is not much larger than the OE one, but will drop temps from 120c to 40c with over 26PSI boost in around 25C air temps....

I'll find out how it does on the new turbo in due course - but I'll not be running as high boost I don't think, so initial temps should be lower.
When I tried putting one in, it would have to be a really thin one to fit back there because since my radiator is larger, the aircon radiator and fans had to go there and they are taking up the space. Also I don't have a crash bar there but if I put it behind the bumper area, then it won't get any cold air really. I'll just have to spend some time thinking about it and seeing what the best option is.

Off the top of my head, I was thinking of trying in front of the gearbox, at about the same level as it, and create a type of funnel that would take air from the front/bottom and funnel it through the IC and then it would go through into the engine bay.

Right now that is the best idea coming to mind, but we will see once I go pick it up again today from the exhaust pipe place.
Old 28-10-15, 10:51 AM   #113
Malteser

So I picked up my car yesterday and was ready to give it a good go to the exhaust place until I gave it the first bit of juice. I didn't realise that the cut off the mech had to do to the exhaust was right in front of the shifter hole!

I gave it some juice and I couldnt see any more!!! I opened all the windows and the sunroof to air out. My father who was driving in front of me was laughing in his car the entire way. When I asked him why, he said

"Everytime you hit the gas, you looked like a train and the sun roof was the chimney stack!"

Needless to say, I couldnt really test it out. That, plus it was freaking LOUD!!!!!

today I should be picking it up after work and then I will be able to give it a go.
Old 28-10-15, 04:17 PM   #114
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
[QUOTE=Malteser;365137"Everytime you hit the gas, you looked like a train and the sun roof was the chimney stack!"[/QUOTE]

LOL

Have you considered a water cooled charge cooler?
talkingcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-15, 06:44 PM   #115
Malteser

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkingcars View Post
LOL

Have you considered a water cooled charge cooler?
What is this wizardry you speak of?
Old 28-10-15, 07:53 PM   #116
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold

http://www.lotusespritworld.com/EGui...rgecooler.html

The radiator to cool the ware is easier to locate as the water pipes can be a lot smaller than the air pipes required for an air cooled intercooler.
talkingcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-15, 12:12 AM   #117
mcapachey

mcapachey is on a distinguished road
Wow amazing transformation and job....glad you got rid of those big rims that you had on it first. Was wondering how that 1.7TD engine runs. Are you aware that Rover did a fantastic L series diesel engine ?
mcapachey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-15, 04:36 AM   #118
Malteser

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkingcars View Post

http://www.lotusespritworld.com/EGui...rgecooler.html

The radiator to cool the ware is easier to locate as the water pipes can be a lot smaller than the air pipes required for an air cooled intercooler.
That seems interesting. I'll keep that in mind and see if it's feasible or worth it. Thanks!
Old 29-10-15, 04:41 AM   #119
Malteser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcapachey View Post
Wow amazing transformation and job....glad you got rid of those big rims that you had on it first. Was wondering how that 1.7TD engine runs. Are you aware that Rover did a fantastic L series diesel engine ?
Thanks mcapachey. Yeah those rims were cheap and with tyres when I first bought the car and I decided to keep them until I found a set of 11 spokes.

The 1.7TD runs great. It's very torquey and I barely use first because second gear is perfect for take offs with still great pulling. I have no complaints at all.

I had looked in to throwing the l series from the last car I broke in there but when I started looking for parts for it (head was cracked) they are like finding hen's teeth here in Malta. So I decided to scrap that idea and stick with the Isuzu. Parts are cheap and abundant so that works perfectly.
Old 29-10-15, 04:44 AM   #120
Malteser

So I drove the car properly for the first time yesterday and I LOVE it!!!! It pulls better than before, the gears last longer once in third and I didn't even find a stretch of road good enough to put in 5th gear until late at night and even then, hit 120 and the engine was purring and not madly revving. I can keep the engine at lower revs for day to day driving and when I need to over take, the power seems more readily there. Thank you PG1!!!