theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 27-10-15, 09:45 AM   #101
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
As ever your effort is impressive - puts my 'tinkering' to shame!

I'm putting the battery in the boot as well, but I think our plan is to build an airbox in that space, I've already got my FMIC in the bottom grill, so have the old IC space next to the rad for direct air feed.... just need to make sure it isn't able to suck up too much water....
Dieselpowered
Fitting Custom Hybrid Turbo (1856GTBv) & controller; Remap, swirlpot, lift pump
AMW Motorsports
Custom exhaust manifold & downpipe
p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-15, 12:25 PM   #102
Malteser

Malteser is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by p_b82 View Post
As ever your effort is impressive - puts my 'tinkering' to shame!

I'm putting the battery in the boot as well, but I think our plan is to build an airbox in that space, I've already got my FMIC in the bottom grill, so have the old IC space next to the rad for direct air feed.... just need to make sure it isn't able to suck up too much water....
No tinkering is put to shame. My previous car, Oldsmobile Alero, I tinkered with but that gave me the confidence to go onto the larger projects.

With the 400, there isnt enough space to fit the Intercooler as a front mount unfortunately and the custom radiator I had made for this engine takes up the entire front centre opening. What I thought of doing though is still putting the intercooler in front of the gearbox down low (same height where a front mount would be) and make a plate or something that would direct air into the intercooler.

And yes, watch for water. lol...mine sucked up some previously in the build and bent a piston rod. I twisted mine down and then up so it is still getting cold air from the well but it is higher than the chassis opening to make it even less likely of water going in.
Malteser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-15, 08:42 PM   #103
ZS Phil

ZS Phil has a spectacular aura aboutZS Phil has a spectacular aura about
wow, great update. Looks great with the kit.
Old 27-10-15, 08:58 PM   #104
Malteser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZS Phil View Post
wow, great update. Looks great with the kit.
Thanks!
Old 27-10-15, 09:33 PM   #105
MG ZS STE
Site Supporter

MG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really nice
is project number 1 a fibre glass mould for an ironing board spoiler? love cars like this that show the owners personality all over it. great parts bin too, looks a bit like my garage.
Old 28-10-15, 04:19 AM   #106
Malteser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG ZS STE View Post
is project number 1 a fibre glass mould for an ironing board spoiler? love cars like this that show the owners personality all over it. great parts bin too, looks a bit like my garage.
Lol...project number 1 is not a spoiler at all.

Hint: something for the interior.
Old 28-10-15, 05:17 AM   #107
redzed

redzed has a spectacular aura aboutredzed has a spectacular aura about
Parcel shelf mod?
Old 28-10-15, 08:37 AM   #108
Malteser

Quote:
Originally Posted by redzed View Post
Parcel shelf mod?
AND THE WINNER IS......redzed!!!

that under the parcel shelf that is so rare to find? I've been looking for one since I owned the Rover and have never found one under £120!

Answer, I'm making one! I will see how it turns out, since this is my first time working with fiberglass, and if it turns out well, I might consider making them for others as well.

Keep your fingers crossed everyone!
Old 28-10-15, 08:57 AM   #109
redzed

redzed has a spectacular aura aboutredzed has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malteser View Post
AND THE WINNER IS......redzed!!!

that under the parcel shelf that is so rare to find? I've been looking for one since I owned the Rover and have never found one under £120!

Answer, I'm making one! I will see how it turns out, since this is my first time working with fiberglass, and if it turns out well, I might consider making them for others as well.

Keep your fingers crossed everyone!

Look forward to the pics!
Old 28-10-15, 10:26 AM   #110
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malteser View Post
No tinkering is put to shame. My previous car, Oldsmobile Alero, I tinkered with but that gave me the confidence to go onto the larger projects.

With the 400, there isnt enough space to fit the Intercooler as a front mount unfortunately and the custom radiator I had made for this engine takes up the entire front centre opening. What I thought of doing though is still putting the intercooler in front of the gearbox down low (same height where a front mount would be) and make a plate or something that would direct air into the intercooler.

And yes, watch for water. lol...mine sucked up some previously in the build and bent a piston rod. I twisted mine down and then up so it is still getting cold air from the well but it is higher than the chassis opening to make it even less likely of water going in.
Well - I put tinkering in quotes as I've done substantial engine modifications, but compared to your transplants and the rest it is not in the same league of time/effort

I guess the engine you've got takes up more space, as there is space for a single pass FMIC in the bottom grill on the 400, as I used that as the template to get mine fitted actually.... needed to remove the crash bar behind the bumper, and cut some of the slam panel to fit the return pipe back over the top..

A little irrelevant though if you don't have the space due to other mods tho

Tbh - If I were you try and get as good quality core as you can, and size is not as critical - might cost you a bit more to get it made up, but thermal efficiency is what you are after - esp in hotter temps than the UK.

mine is not much larger than the OE one, but will drop temps from 120c to 40c with over 26PSI boost in around 25C air temps....

I'll find out how it does on the new turbo in due course - but I'll not be running as high boost I don't think, so initial temps should be lower.
Dieselpowered
Fitting Custom Hybrid Turbo (1856GTBv) & controller; Remap, swirlpot, lift pump
AMW Motorsports
Custom exhaust manifold & downpipe
p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote