theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 24-03-13, 07:32 PM   #1
Din

Din has a spectacular aura aboutDin has a spectacular aura about
My ZS T series conversion.

Well following my noob thread http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=24530

I think its time to make a build thread !

I am going to copy and paste frm the thread i started last night from Rovertech.

Well i think i am safe to create a thread now

I wanted to do this years ago (back when i had my Golf VR6)... i got an engine block etc from Vard when i swapped my 416 for all his T16 stuff... that block stayed on the stand and has moved house with me in the last few years :lol:

But due to a very generous forum member i got V79 UOC for a bit of work on both the cars, being really pleased to be back in a 600 after the first one i had to sell due to running costs and issues at the time (i regretted that big time)... the ZS idea got shelved and forgotten.

Fast forward a couple about 3 years... V79 got its overheat issue that drove me insane, to a point i bought another 600 lol.

Only to find that even after 4x CTS sensors, it was just a CTS issue (there seems to be loads of faulty new ones floating about)... so by now i have repaired the box on my ebay bargain Ti and its in daily use... i had no need for V79 and the rear arches where getting the old tin worm starting... but i knew now the engine is 100% OK... what to do, sell it for a few hundred quid ? or do something i wanted to do years ago... :twisted:

Well i made up my mind to a ZS... and that's what i intend to do !

So, first thing i did was remove V79s heart, it actually makes me sad to do it, but its the only way to achieve my goal soooo...

And the customary Vard shot looking pleased (it was miserable weather)

:lol:

After that, the nice bits like the springs,wheels,spoiler and such have been removed and sold to go towards this project.

A very unhappy looking Ti now ready to go to the scrapyard in the sky

I need to get my behind in gear and ring the scrap yard on Monday as i just bought the next stage... more on that in a minute.

Right so after that i carried on putting a bit of money by every month until i found what i was after !

Its a Mk1 Mg ZS 180 saloon, not as pretty as a Mk2 given but its what i have wanted for years and they are known to be a bit better built.
This one (apparently) has its cambelt snapped.... i have not had the chance to look yet as its sat on my sister in laws drive way (had nowhere to put it), its tatty, but it is a project car after all, and i already have my mate Gary lined up to refurb the wheels and paint the bumpers and such, but the priority for the time being is to get running engine in it

My younger sister in law seen here removing the rubbish monster stickers :facepalm:

Thats kind of where it stops at the moment in terms of work actually done...

So I was going to buy the rest of the bits i needed from ebay and scrap yards, but that's a lot of hassle and expensive, and finding obscure parts would be a pain.

So today i bid and won on a 420 Gsi, this should provide all the parts i require... i have quotes on delivery (not cheap) but at least i should have everything, hopefully the 600 will be gone and the 400 in its place by the end of next week (depends when the driver can pick the car up).

So for those interested, this is what £180.00 buys you :lol:

This will take a while, and it wont be ready for months.. but i will keep the thread updated for those that are interested, or fancy doing something like this themselves.

I also intend on making the best engine i can out of the combination of parts i have... will have 3x blocks and 2x heads to choose from, at the same time all the gaskets will be replaced etc etc.

Gearbox should be fine, i already have steel caged diff bearings in it, but i will be replacing the diff seals.

Thats all for now folks
Din is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-13, 07:33 PM   #2
Din

My aim is to achieve a good quality conversion, i dont want massive power, and it most definalty is budget job, but with the responsibilitys i have thats only to be expected.

What im after is... standard T turbo running 12 psi and looking like it should have been there !

It would also be nice to have a few extras on the car... cruise, air con (which no one seems to bother with), leccy rear windows as Pete mentioned would be good too.

The only thing that will be rushed is the strip of the 420, i really need clear goals on all the parts i need, but the car can not stay here for long at all, i just dont have the space what with the caravan on the drive, and i also dont want complaints as i rent... so having a drive that can fit 3/4 cars plus a garage... and owning a total of 5 cars and a caravan and taking up road space is not on in my mind, i like to keep my self to myself and not get in anyones way.

So.. the 420 should be delivered Wednesday, so i need the Ti gone by then !

Interestingly when i was looking up cruise control at stupid o clock yesterday i came across this from 2009 !

http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=318899

Looked a little happier then didnt it !
Old 24-03-13, 08:05 PM   #3
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
It did look a bit better then.

I've not come across factory fit cruise on a T before.
Old 24-03-13, 09:18 PM   #4
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
I wouldn't mind upgrading to atc, the loom all seems to be there for it, getting the condenser rad in might be a squeeze with the present i/c

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-13, 06:34 AM   #5
Din

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkingcars View Post
It did look a bit better then.

I've not come across factory fit cruise on a T before.
Well the 420 has it...so might be worth look !
Old 25-03-13, 06:36 AM   #6
Din

Quote:
Originally Posted by petet16 View Post
I wouldn't mind upgrading to atc, the loom all seems to be there for it, getting the condenser rad in might be a squeeze with the present i/c
What cooler ? twin pass and large, i dont recall your setup Pete.
Old 25-03-13, 07:37 AM   #7
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
Pic of the i/c

Old 25-03-13, 08:11 AM   #8
Din

Oh i see, are you using a 220 rad as well then...?

I want to use the 600 setup, but im unsure about water pipes and air con at the moment... unless i can use the 420 condenser on the 600 rad...

See, i have an over active brain right now, im trying to trouble shoot before i have even looked lol.
Old 25-03-13, 09:30 AM   #9
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Thanks for posting it all up, interesting project, or two.

Best of luck with it all.

Old 25-03-13, 09:48 AM   #10
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

Yes, an alloy 220/420 turbo rad, it wouldn't be my first choice because turbo rads are hard to find and expensive, I think the ti rad with the i/c next to it is the best compromise.