theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 08-09-09, 09:14 AM   #21
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-ZS+ View Post
RWD! now that does sound like a project! No wonder your so busy ,You bring it on yourself Mick
Wouldn't be the first time!

V8 into Chevette works, so does V8 into Bedford CF350! I would consider a 4wd ZS but they are not allowed, bloody rule book!
Old 08-09-09, 09:30 AM   #22
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Jay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of light
I belive someone has done a 4wd bubble conversion! thats a strange one!

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Jay-ZS+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-09, 09:15 PM   #23
dogsbe

dogsbe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamford View Post
It is always best to have just enough power to handle and focus on driving the car in question. Learn the techniques, car control, setting up and driving the pants off it. Then when you can master an underpowered car then go add some power to challenge the real players. Pointless having all the power and not being able to use it. Being underpowered makes you learn track craft to gain where others lose it.
I completely agree with you. At present, I am not looking for more power. The car is not right handling wise. I fear that shoving something insane without first sorting out the handling, I will get totally lost. The big push for more power is from my partner. He was not impressed with the power. It was more about the thrill factor for him and not so much about lap times. I think he was expecting something like the space shuttle.

I did discuss driving lessons as the best course of action. I'm no Michael Schumacher, but did go through an entire week long driving school and had futher lessons. I forgot most things, but I think I still retained a feeling for cars and race line. It is a bit like riding a bike. After a bit of trial and error, I can get into ryhthem. If that makes any sense?

I agreed to the T16 conversion because I dont feel that the KV6 would serve our needs in the long run. We have the opportunity to do it now, so we are taking it. Saying that, I have no immeadiate plans to actually harness the power. I will keep it standard until we start growing out of the car. I have already grown out of my ZR TD (157 bhp). It is good for training, but I very much wanted a lot more.

Well, that is atleast my logic.
dogsbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-09, 10:00 PM   #24
Ritchy
technically an expertish

Ritchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to all
i want to make my zed rwd or 4wd after i get my next car, get ma dad to do the gearbox side:P
Old 09-09-09, 07:41 AM   #25
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Racing school refreshers are very good, they rid you of bad habits! You think you are okay but in reality you are shoite! It is surprising how a change in line, braking point, turn in etc can change a from a good lap into a fast lap. There are times when the car does not need to be turned in, it will do it itself depending upon the corner, camber and set-up etc. I was shown a tip at Brands a few years back in their track 180's long before I bought one. I was surprised at how the instructor took the wheel off me going through Clearways into Clark Curve and it drove itself around, I thought we would go off as there didn't appear to be enough lock.

If I were you I would stick with the KV6 and tune it to a set budget and then be at one with the car, once you have collated the track data and happy with it with regards set-up and consistent lap times then go for more power be it a transplant etc, this will require further setting up as the balance will have changed.
Old 09-09-09, 06:16 PM   #26
dogsbe

I very much take your points, but I dont think it makes economic sense to invest in the KV6 if the future plan is a T16. Ok, if I had to shell out the money for conversion, this would be the last thing on the agenda. However, we are in an ideal situation to do the conversion, which will cost the partnership nothing! So it really does make financial sense to do it now.

I have not looked into driving schools, but I am happy with my instructor. God, I wish I can drive like him! However, I really dont chase lap times, I'm just go to track days to have a good day out. I just like to see some steady improvements, particularly in the consistency of my driving.
Old 10-09-09, 07:33 AM   #27
stamford
Site Owner

There will come a time, and I am talking a very short window here! that you will be chasing lap times! It is the nature of the beast, once you start playing around on track you will look to make it faster and by doing so will use lap times as your personal benchmark.

There is a saying 'better to have taken part and lost, than not to have taken part at all' true in some cases but in reality, bullshit! We all want to win no matter what, that is why we do it! I didn't race to make up the numbers I wanted to win!
Old 11-09-09, 05:07 AM   #28
dogsbe

Quote:
There will come a time, and I am talking a very short window here! that you will be chasing lap times! It is the nature of the beast, once you start playing around on track you will look to make it faster and by doing so will use lap times as your personal benchmark.

There is a saying 'better to have taken part and lost, than not to have taken part at all' true in some cases but in reality, bullshit! We all want to win no matter what, that is why we do it! I didn't race to make up the numbers I wanted to win!
I think you might be right, once I fit a video camera in and have the capacity to time I might start chasing times. So, my attitude might be reflective of capacity. I just tend to try to pass certain cars. I also check my speeds at specific points on the laps. I always try to do a bit better. I also get rather pissed off if somebody passes me.
Old 11-09-09, 07:14 AM   #29
stamford
Site Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbe View Post
I think you might be right, once I fit a video camera in and have the capacity to time I might start chasing times. So, my attitude might be reflective of capacity. I just tend to try to pass certain cars. I also check my speeds at specific points on the laps. I always try to do a bit better. I also get rather pissed off if somebody passes me.
That sounds about right

We can't help ourselves, I bet you get annoyed when passed on a motorway
Old 12-09-09, 06:09 AM   #30
dogsbe

Quote:
That sounds about right

We can't help ourselves, I bet you get annoyed when passed on a motorway
Lol, no not really. I tend drive within the enforced speed limit. The nice thing about going to track days is that nothing you can do on the road even comes close to what you can do on the track. I really dont see the point of high performance car for just fast road. In fact, I have been steadly detuning my MG ZR because I dont use it on the track anymore. Further, I will soon sell it to buy something a little bigger, so I can tow the ZS.