AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 10-08-12, 07:17 PM   #1
drewesq

drewesq is on a distinguished road
HGF on a Freelander 1.8 & my MGZS

Hi again

So, my flatmate has HGF on his freelander and is worried it is going to cost him a packet (it was done before he bought it and the bill was £1500!)

Made me think that although there was no reciept I did beleive the guy who sold me my ZS that the HG had been done with the uprated MLS. It all looks fairly new but is there a way to tell for sure? Isn't there a piece that sticks out on the new one or something?

If so any chance someone could post a pic so I can put my mind at ease?

Also, when a HG has been done do they use a sealant afterwards?

Cheers peeps!
drewesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-12, 10:42 PM   #2
Fred68

Fred68 has a spectacular aura aboutFred68 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewesq View Post
Hi again

So, my flatmate has HGF on his freelander and is worried it is going to cost him a packet (it was done before he bought it and the bill was £1500!)

Made me think that although there was no reciept I did beleive the guy who sold me my ZS that the HG had been done with the uprated MLS. It all looks fairly new but is there a way to tell for sure? Isn't there a piece that sticks out on the new one or something?

If so any chance someone could post a pic so I can put my mind at ease?

Also, when a HG has been done do they use a sealant afterwards?

Cheers peeps!
1.8 Freelanders pop hgs for fun!! I've done all 4 of mine myself easy enough. The last time I got uprated parts for it off Ebay for under £100 for everything and it's still working as it should there are lots of horror stories but it's just an engine and pretty easy sorted!!
Most important thing is keep an eye on water levels and investigate any drop as the engine doesn't need to loose much before the cooling system air locks and the hg fails !!

Last edited by Fred68; 10-08-12 at 10:47 PM.
Fred68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-12, 09:53 AM   #3
ZS
IT Administrator

ZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of light
If its got the Land Rover MLS Gasket then the "shim" has a tab that sticks out... having not got a 1.8 with an MLS at the moment (although I'm not sure about the F... will have to have a look later!) I can't show you a picture...

Unless... http://www.samdenton.co.uk/blog/?p=370 my blog has a "half finished" how-to for the head gasket we did on a VVC enigned Rover 200 Vi... Still playing with the redesign so some words are white and don't show up! lol - dunno if it helps at all... (really should finish it...)

I love it when people call me at 3 AM. "Hey, you asleep?" "No, I'm skydiving."

http://www.bexairbrushing.co.uk
ZS is offline   Reply With Quote