theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 25-12-07, 11:25 PM   #1
shroonie29

shroonie29 is on a distinguished road
Am I correct?

In thinking,all these ermmm............................................. .................................................m odern cars with TC that "most PPL> can't drive are realy a waste off time?
The reason I say/ask this is that without the old computer 99% of PPL. wouldn't be able to get off the line,nevermind actualy drive them.

What I mean is if you take the gadgets off M3 Evo etc.Would most owners be able to cope?
My opinion is .................................................. ......................NO

Shroon

"In the MG ZS, the relationship between car and driver borders on the intimate"
"The surprise is that the MG ZS feels right straight away and stays accurate and poised"

Last edited by shroonie29; 25-12-07 at 11:27 PM.
shroonie29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-07, 12:31 AM   #2
DeMoNPauL

DeMoNPauL has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I think you're right.

These drivers of modern cars take the TC, SC or LC for granted. Give them a bog standard car like the ZS for example and they would lost.

I have never, ever owned a car with any of the above.

Drove a VW Touran TDi as a courtesy car when my mk1 was murdered by a white van man. Thankfully it had the option to turn off the TC. Nasty bit of kit that when you are used to driving without it.

Just to add. I mentioned to my brother-in-law about turning off the TC on the Touran. His response was to imply that I should take corners slower. I thought the whole idea of these driving aids was to make handling better.

No the wonder we broke the bank to buy another ZS 180. Give me a bog standard car any day. If I want a computer doing my driving I'd hand in my license and stick to Forza.

Regards. Christina. (DeMoNPauL's better half)

Excuse the rant. It's xmas and I've had a few.

Last edited by DeMoNPauL; 26-12-07 at 12:42 AM.
DeMoNPauL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-07, 12:34 AM   #3
Boot Hill Bandit
Coming back home!.......

Boot Hill Bandit is on a distinguished road
The best way I learnt how to drive was to drive on slick tyres on a wet track.........it's damn tricky........but you learn about control........same goes for me learning to race on ice and in the snow on slicks......

Traction Control is supposed to be a safety aid.......the same goes for ABS......it is there to assist the driver.......it's not supposed to be there to keep the car on the black stuff under normal circumstances.

So I guess to some extent......'no' most drivers wouldn't cope if they are driving the cars on or finally over the limit.

Granville
Old 26-12-07, 06:50 AM   #4
al_roverMG
Site Supporter

al_roverMG is on a distinguished road
See my opinion of all these TC LC etc is less to do with the driver and more to do with the car designers. Let me explain. By adding things like TC LC and the like the car designers have to pay less attention to actually making the car handle as the electronic safety net can do just that and make it safe. I mean the Civic type R is a shining example. Sure the "breadvan" shape one (the EP3 for the spotters like me) which i had would bite if you poked it with a stick hard enough but then it was a dream to drive and was very quick without the need for traction control. Even modified it can still handle the power. The new one (FN2) however is fitted with traction control. Now with it switched on it feels very similar to the old one even sliding progressively from the rear and unlike many traction control systems it actually adds to the fun. However switch the TC off and it suddenly turns into an understeering not so nice handling car which is a back step from the old one.

At the end of the day many people now buy a car on the number of "functions" it has as they see them as part of the value for money. I however buy a car because i like it as a package and to hell with all the rest.
Old 26-12-07, 08:40 AM   #5
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
The only cars I have had with any 'aids' were the Omega V6 and Calibra V6. Both had TC and were a waste of time tbh as they did very little due to the heavy car and extremely heavy flywheels.

I agree, those cars fitted with all the toys are weighted to the inexperienced driver and the manufacturers should only sell them if the owner signs up for a track day/instruction before taking to the road, same goes for the insurance companies, null and void unless a pass/competence certificate is issued. It's like giving them a jet fighter with no flying hours.
Old 26-12-07, 12:02 PM   #6
arwilson80
Founding Members

arwilson80 is on a distinguished road
I'll put it like this....

The most fun comes when there is NO traction.

"People in cars cause accidents. Accidents in cars cause people. Drive only with proper protection."
"You should try one. It's bloody good" - Jeremy Clarkson (commenting after driving a ZS180)
"Fines are a tax for doing bad, Taxes are a fine for doing good" - Unknown
GPS - Because guys don't know how to ask directions

MG ZS 180
3.5L V6 Ford Taurus
2.7L V6 EcoBoost Ford F150 4x4
arwilson80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-07, 12:04 PM   #7
Boot Hill Bandit
Coming back home!.......

Boot Hill Bandit is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwilson80 View Post
I'll put it like this....

The most fun comes when there is NO traction.
mmmm you could be right there.......under the right circumstances anyway

Granville