theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 08-03-12, 03:24 PM   #11
Bobdope2002
Senior Pant Sniffer

Bobdope2002 is on a distinguished road
this is gonna sound extremely harsh and its a typical post from me but if you cant afford to run a 120 i personally cant see you being able to afford run a derv considering its 5p more a litre may last longer but its an extra 5p a litre you dont have

sorry to be so blunt
Bobdope2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-12, 04:06 PM   #12
sheldore

sheldore is on a distinguished road
I do just over 200 miles a week in the 180 and it costs me the same as my old Vectra 2.2 petrol. I drive sensibly and I've been shocked how well the 180 manages. mind you I do drive like an old fart.
sheldore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-12, 06:31 PM   #13
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
If you are getting rid of a car and going down to a 1 car family car I can see sense in getting rid of the ZS and keeping the diesel but when you factor all the costs of changing cars such as the value of the ZS and the cost of the replacment and the possible repair costs of an unknown car and the fact that you know and like the ZS I wouldn't be changing either.
Old 08-03-12, 06:41 PM   #14
ZS
IT Administrator

ZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of light
I will also point out that diesels are not very economical in stop start traffic... My 75 gets down to 8 - 10 mpg in stop start traffic... its only long distance and motorway driving that I make up the economy...

I would say if your doing that few miles per month that the ZS would be cheaper...

I love it when people call me at 3 AM. "Hey, you asleep?" "No, I'm skydiving."

http://www.bexairbrushing.co.uk
ZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-12, 07:15 PM   #15
ZS Phil

ZS Phil has a spectacular aura aboutZS Phil has a spectacular aura about
As said, depends how many miles you are doing. If you sell the ZS and get say a diesel 25 for the same money you will be quids in. The L series is dirt cheap to run, tax, insure and in the rare event anything should break then parts are cheap too.

HOWEVER, if you sell the ZS and put a grand towards it to get any fiesta diesel worth having then you will deffo be quids out.

The bottom line is diesels are cheaper to run, people know that and as such carry a price tag premium over their petrol equivalent so if you will benefit simply depends on how many miles you do.

On a side note, if a 75 CDTI is doing 8 mgp then there is something wrong with it :O
Old 08-03-12, 07:18 PM   #16
ZS
IT Administrator

ZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZS Phil View Post
On a side note, if a 75 CDTI is doing 8 mgp then there is something wrong with it :O
In stop start traffic... on the motorway 55 mpg all day long

But yes I am sure there is something wrong with the car... There is an air leak somewhere I think as on hard accelleration it pumps out thick black smoke

I love it when people call me at 3 AM. "Hey, you asleep?" "No, I'm skydiving."

http://www.bexairbrushing.co.uk
ZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-12, 07:43 PM   #17
steven.winder

steven.winder is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldore View Post
I do just over 200 miles a week in the 180 and it costs me the same as my old Vectra 2.2 petrol. I drive sensibly and I've been shocked how well the 180 manages. mind you I do drive like an old fart.
You wernt driving like an old fart when you shot past me on St Helens Street today haha
Old 08-03-12, 08:17 PM   #18
sheldore

sheldore is on a distinguished road
I was testing my 0-30 times. I didn't see your car.
sheldore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-12, 08:23 PM   #19
steven.winder

steven.winder is on a distinguished road
I had just parked up behind a van so you wouldn't have, I was walking down the street to see a customer
Old 08-03-12, 11:01 PM   #20
zsserbia

zsserbia will become famous soon enough
I used to have an 02 plate fiesta 1.8 td and if I'm honest, it was up to 10% better on fuel than my ZS td in stop and go trafic (zed is 200 kilos sharp heavier), but no better at all or worse once you get going. Fiesta has a very bad weight distribution and unbelievable understeer so on local roads you have to decelerate and accelerate much more frequently which normally hurts the fuel economy. On motorway, fiesta needs more throttle than the ZS due to poor wind resistance.

The engines are of the same technology and as said, they will go forever but the L-series has much more power and the sound of it is music in comparison to ford's LYNX. Other stuff which are in favour of ZS are to ridiculous and obvious to mention, performance, handling, space, etc. Plus you may get one at silly price.

As for 1.4 tdci fiesta (03 and later), I'd steer clear because their injectors and pumps cost a fortune when fail, I'm not sure if it has a DMF as well, which will fail...

Or you just convert your one to LPG, eh?
zsserbia is offline   Reply With Quote