theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 20-09-10, 12:58 PM   #1
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
stupid & car....and AA

... well guess what... car broke down on friday.

Popped the uprated (rover 600) slave cylinder and as a result no fluid so no more clutch.

Thankfully it happened on the way back from bath to my mates house near wells, as i had driven the Bride to the the guildhall in bath a few hours earlier.

Ended up getting it started in gear, crawling to some white roads where we went for 2nd, only to have it run out of puff before it wanted to pop in...

so i got out and gave it a hand, then chased my own car and jumped in it....

Then the AA failed to turn up ontime before i had to go to the main reception for the wedding on saturday, so had to cancel the pickup & relay of it.

Then when i rebooked, they used the wrong details to log the call an against the car and only sent a van rather than a trailer to move it.

Last i heard\checked it was sat at gordano services waiting to be taken up to the farm - oh it it might not arrive until tuesday as it is unnaaccompanied

coolant looks like it has dropped too, which is really ***** news if it has as i only got it back recently, and i have not been driving it hard just in case.

I really am now seriously considering my options with the car as it is just continously letting me down now....

oh and the EML light is on as well.....
Dieselpowered
Fitting Custom Hybrid Turbo (1856GTBv) & controller; Remap, swirlpot, lift pump
AMW Motorsports
Custom exhaust manifold & downpipe
p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-10, 01:15 PM   #2
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
I cannot believe the bad luck you are having with this, I'm not surprised you are having ideas on perhaps getting rid. Problem is what is it worth as is and will anyone want to take it on? Take a breath and see if your mind changes, better the devil you know. Maybe de-tune it to a level that still pleases you but takes away the strain a bit?
Old 20-09-10, 01:47 PM   #3
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
well i wont get rid of it, as i could not hand it over to any-one with a clear conscience...

am thinking of possibly switching the turbo though....

am concerned about the lag, but thinking maybe going to a TD5 unit, with it having amuch larger exhaust housing ti should be up to the job....

Also i am wondering if the pump timing solenoid is failing, as if it is, and thec ar is running huge amounts of advance it would increase cylinder pressures a lot....

To make me think that it is really sluggish starting and takes a while to settle down to a smooth idle....
Dieselpowered
AMW Motorsports
Old 20-09-10, 01:49 PM   #4
lawrence-zs180

lawrence-zs180 is on a distinguished road
dude thats a bad run of luck... what would you go for though if you did let it go?? I am/was in the same boat with my 180.. every time I had to do some basic service stuff it was a mega expense because there had been way to much time between services.. so in 6 months of ownership I have sunk ?1200 into it.
But like stamford said its prob better the devil you know... what parts do you need because there is a good breakers near me that have a few 600's and derv 45's so I could get them and run them up to you if you needed.
lawrence-zs180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-10, 01:56 PM   #5
p_b82
Site Supporter

oh i would not get hardly anything for the car, even if i stripped it and reverted it to stadnard - compared to the amount spent on it anyways...

Matt should be able to get a seal re-build kit for it, so the cylinder should be re-useable. the dilema will be what casued it to fail. as i am running a Helix cerametalic paddle clutch on it, and if that is the root cause then a replacement part will just go again in maybe another 20k miles....

Also the car is going up to silverstone for one of it's holidays there while matt takes a look at things - it is under his warrenty so am letting him sort it out.

But the offer is hugely appreciated though!
Dieselpowered
AMW Motorsports
Old 20-09-10, 02:08 PM   #6
p_b82
Site Supporter

the good news though is that the car was recovered to the Farm this morning at least so could have been a lot worse all things considered.... took them 3 different vehicles to get it there, so i am assuming it was on the back a few different AA vans in the little dolly jobber....

have to say was rather sad watching it being towed yesterday!
Dieselpowered
AMW Motorsports
Old 20-09-10, 03:52 PM   #7
Maxfly
Site Ambassador

Maxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to all
gutting fella, surely your luck must be due a turn for the better soon! Hopefully Matt will be able to point out whatever the main culprits for you and get her reliably running on the road.
Old 20-09-10, 04:36 PM   #8
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

What a bummer, stick with it, I'm sure you are nearly there,least it sounds like Matt is looking after you and the car.

Was hopeing to see you at the southern meet, got a month to sort it out.

Hope the wedding went off OK and it didnt mess any arrangements, always go at the worse time. At least it wasnt in the middle lane of a motorway.

Hope its an easy and quick sort by Matt.
Old 20-09-10, 04:52 PM   #9
lawrence-zs180

lawrence-zs180 is on a distinguished road
yay problem hunting lol here's hoping she's all back and well by the meet.. and the offer is still there just give me a pm and I will have a look in my split between services at the restaurant.
lawrence-zs180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-10, 05:12 PM   #10
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Jay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of light
Ah gutted for you Pete, was sure this time would be the last time Matt had it. If its any consolation, right this minute mine still off the road

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Jay-ZS+ is offline   Reply With Quote