theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 12-12-07, 11:17 PM   #1
Maxxed_Ross
Events Organiser-Scotland

Maxxed_Ross has a spectacular aura aboutMaxxed_Ross has a spectacular aura about
The history of the MG ZS as we know it

Was dored tonight so decided to go look up the MG ZS, here's what I found:

The ZS is essentialy a badge engineered Rover 45 (which was launched in 1999). The 45 in turn is a facelifted version of the Rover 400 which was launched in hatchback form in 1995 and saloon form in 1996. The Rover 400 had much in common with the Honda Civic of 1995-1999. At the time of development, Honda and Rover worked in partnership to design and develop cars for the Japanese and European markets.

The model was rapidly created from the Rover 45 after BMW sold off Rover in 2000. Development of the model was greatly accelerated by the fact that Rover had already created 400-series prototypes of the car using V6 engines and sporting suspension setups. In fact, MG-Rover developed MG versions of all three Rover cars on sale at the time. The Rover 25 became the MG ZR, the 45 the ZS and the 75 the ZT.

The Rover 45 donor car did not have a reputation for being a driver's car but in fact it was the most suitable car in the Rover range for transformation into an MG, its Honda heritage providing double-wishbone front suspension and fully independent multi-link rear suspension.

As a Rover, the car was always optimised for comfort rather than handling — as an MG this choice was reversed to dramatic effect.

Despite being arguably less pretty than the MG ZR and MG ZT in terms of external appearance, the ZS is arguably the best driver’s car of the trio, offering a lot of power in V6 form and a supple chassis with excellent handling.

A successor to the Rover 45/MG ZS (known internally as RDX60) was under development. This was to have been based on a shortened Rover 75 floorpan and was to appear in saloon, hatchback and 'tourer' (estate) bodystyles. Chassis development was being undertaken by Tom Walkinshaw Racing and ceased when TWR collapsed. The non-appearance of RDX60 meant that the ZS was facelifted and continued in production until the demise of MG-Rover.

In 2004 the ZS was facelifted with the rest of the MG-Rover range. The retro design cues adopted when the 400 became the 45 were mostly dropped. For the first time the Rover 45 and MG ZS became noticeably different looking cars – at least in the high specification ZS180 version. Wheelarch extensions, side vents in the wings and other touches delivered a distinctive look for the new ZS. The 2004 model also received a revised interior with new seat materials, a new dash design incorporating climate control on certain models.

MG ZS production ceased in April 2005 on the bankrupty of MG Rover, and the rights to make the car were soon repossessed by Honda - who owned the rights to the original 1995 design. MG production was revived two years on by new owners Nanjing Automobile, and the ZS's successor - the MG 5 - is set for a launch in 2008.

The ZS has been raced in the British Touring Car Championship since 2001. The West Surrey Racing (WSR) team enjoyed 'works' status for several years and initially ran cars with a two-litre version of the Rover KV6 engine, later switching to four-cylinder K-series engines developed by JUDD engineering. Ex-WSR V6 cars have appeared in other hands, and a 'junior team' was run in 2002 as part of a partnership with pop group "Attomic Kitten".

www.facebook.com/EX259

"It's not broken, it's an opportunity to upgrade!"
Maxxed_Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-07, 07:19 AM   #2
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Did you know that the ZS as we now know it was originally called the X20 before its launch?
Old 13-12-07, 08:32 AM   #3
arwilson80
Founding Members

arwilson80 is on a distinguished road
I do now.

"People in cars cause accidents. Accidents in cars cause people. Drive only with proper protection."
"You should try one. It's bloody good" - Jeremy Clarkson (commenting after driving a ZS180)
"Fines are a tax for doing bad, Taxes are a fine for doing good" - Unknown
GPS - Because guys don't know how to ask directions

MG ZS 180
3.5L V6 Ford Taurus
2.7L V6 EcoBoost Ford F150 4x4
arwilson80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-07, 12:19 PM   #4
RalphG

RalphG is on a distinguished road
The ZT was X10 and the ZR was X30.

By how much do those who have gained by war fall short of the number of those who have perished in it? No doubt you will reply that there can be no comparison, that the dead cannot be numbered, while the living who have been rewarded may be summed up with three figures.
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-07, 01:18 PM   #5
KevG
2007 Focus ST2

KevG is just really niceKevG is just really niceKevG is just really niceKevG is just really niceKevG is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxed_Ross
.........MG ZS production ceased in April 2005 on the bankrupty of MG Rover, and the rights to make the car were soon repossessed by Honda - who owned the rights to the original 1995 design. MG production was revived two years on by new owners Nanjing Automobile, and the ZS's successor - the MG 5 - is set for a launch in 2008.
Only in China though, under Honda approval.

KevG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-07, 02:21 PM   #6
Southern Storm
I'm Zeddin It

Southern Storm is on a distinguished road
Have seen a few bits of the '5' and it is the same as the facelift ZS. However the chinese writing on it just hammers home the fact it is not an MG

If you're having car problems, I feel bad for you son.
I got 99 problems but my Zed aint one!

A labour of love but never a problem.
Southern Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-07, 05:35 PM   #7
Maxxed_Ross

Maxxed_Ross has a spectacular aura aboutMaxxed_Ross has a spectacular aura about
the dash in the ZR looks to be different, they've made a funky new heater control system

www.facebook.com/EX259

Old 13-12-07, 05:37 PM   #8
KevG
2007 Focus ST2

KevG is just really niceKevG is just really niceKevG is just really niceKevG is just really niceKevG is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Storm View Post
.........However the chinese writing on it just hammers home the fact it is not an MG
The cars which were on show at the Shanghai Motor Show were cars imported from Longbridge as kits and nailed together in China, so effectively they are proper MG's albeit Chinese built Longbridge cars.

Notice the rear spats that are missing from the rear doors

Last edited by KevG; 13-12-07 at 05:44 PM.
KevG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-07, 08:16 PM   #9
Southern Storm
I'm Zeddin It

Southern Storm is on a distinguished road
Hmmm see where you are coming from and yes i suppose they are Longbridge cars, but they have chinese writing on and they were bolted together as their 'home' was being torn apart. It isn't an MG in my eyes.
I know I am being incredibly stupid and at least the motor and the badge still exists but when they market it as 'Modern Gentleman' it hurts to have them picking over the remains of a name and badge I love. Gonna stop now cause I look more stupid by the minute.

If you're having car problems, I feel bad for you son.
I got 99 problems but my Zed aint one!

A labour of love but never a problem.
Southern Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-07, 08:22 PM   #10
Maxxed_Ross

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevG View Post
Notice the rear spats that are missing from the rear doors
hehe I've got some nah nah nahnah naaah!

www.facebook.com/EX259